• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Troy McClure

2024 Offseason Thread

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Even if it could be done, it would require the existance of mods.

Business idea: pay the jannies. Then maybe theyll actually show up to clean up our messy wessys.

at this point, all may be lost. We have fallen out of the playoffs, when just 2 weeks ago we were 12 points in a spot. Can't sell now, so what can we do to make next year better?

It's of utmost importance to get Kane convinced that next season is going to be THE season we make some noise. We have to convince him that we are going to trim the garbage and upgrade the team from outside and within! Get this man signed ASAP! I'd keep Fischer around as well, although he might not want to stay.

Here are my subtractions, and by any means necessary.

Perron - Walk, he is just too old and his skill is diminishing. I would welcome a coaching role though.

Sprong - Walk, he's had the last 6 games to prove he is worth a big payday and that he can carry a team, he's failed. Let someone else pay him.

Fabbri - Trade, this has come to an end. He is no longer top 9 material and we have better prospects or can replace him via UFA.

Ghost - Walk, it was fun while it lasted. Again, a chance to carry a team on his shoulders and he failed. He does have 42 points though ...so, maybe?

Holl - Trade, at whatever the return, it just has not worked out.

Chiarot - Trade, while a bit better this season, just not going to be justified keeping his cap hit.

Petry - Buyout, not worth keeping, even for a 7th guy. Time to retire, Peaches.

Reimer - Walk, no explanation necessary

Husso - Trade, he is not a starting goalie and he has become injury prone. I'd even consider buying out his last year.

Ok, additions (re-sign) to make this team a playoff team:

Kane - Obviously.

Fischer - Re-sign, very serviceable 4th liner.

Seider, Raymond, Veleno - Re-sign, first two obviously, but I'd have Veleno on a short lease. He's my first casualty next season if we get bad again.

Berggren, (Mazur or Kasper), Edvinsson, Johansson - Promote permanently

I don't think we're going to be able to afford to sign a top UFA D or G, these will have to come via trade. Although I would try hard for Hanfin, but I feel he's going to Boston.

Chychrun, Ullmark, Saros, Andersson, there's just too many options and these all depend on availability.

There are a lot of interesting UFA forwards that we could upgrade to, but it's going to cost money! That is why trading the contracts above will be a necessity.

Few examples for top 6:

Stamkos - I'd try to coax him away, he would slot right in our top 6 opposite Raymond with Compher at C. (or does he actually play C? :lol:)

Geuntzel, Bertuzzi, Tarasenko

Middle 6:

DeBrusk, Foegele, Roslovic, even Mantha, just to name a few.

We're going to be a lottery team again, hopefully we can get a top 10 pick.

51 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

at this point, all may be lost. We have fallen out of the playoffs, when just 2 weeks ago we were 12 points in a spot. Can't sell now, so what can we do to make next year better?

Unless things change real quick starting Thursday night - this season of 'trial and error' with UFAs in favor over kids from GR will likely come to a close and the harsh reality of a continued rebuild will once again be underway.

51 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It's of utmost importance to get Kane convinced that next season is going to be THE season we make some noise. We have to convince him that we are going to trim the garbage and upgrade the team from outside and within! Get this man signed ASAP! I'd keep Fischer around as well, although he might not want to stay.

Here are my subtractions, and by any means necessary.

Perron - Walk, he is just too old and his skill is diminishing. I would welcome a coaching role though.

Sprong - Walk, he's had the last 6 games to prove he is worth a big payday and that he can carry a team, he's failed. Let someone else pay him.

Fabbri - Trade, this has come to an end. He is no longer top 9 material and we have better prospects or can replace him via UFA.

Ghost - Walk, it was fun while it lasted. Again, a chance to carry a team on his shoulders and he failed. He does have 42 points though ...so, maybe?

Holl - Trade, at whatever the return, it just has not worked out.

Chiarot - Trade, while a bit better this season, just not going to be justified keeping his cap hit.

Petry - Buyout, not worth keeping, even for a 7th guy. Time to retire, Peaches.

Reimer - Walk, no explanation necessary

Husso - Trade, he is not a starting goalie and he has become injury prone. I'd even consider buying out his last year.

Ok, additions (re-sign) to make this team a playoff team:

Kane - Obviously.

Fischer - Re-sign, very serviceable 4th liner.

Seider, Raymond, Veleno - Re-sign, first two obviously, but I'd have Veleno on a short lease. He's my first casualty next season if we get bad again.

Berggren, (Mazur or Kasper), Edvinsson, Johansson - Promote permanently

I don't think we're going to be able to afford to sign a top UFA D or G, these will have to come via trade. Although I would try hard for Hanfin, but I feel he's going to Boston.

Chychrun, Ullmark, Saros, Andersson, there's just too many options and these all depend on availability.

There are a lot of interesting UFA forwards that we could upgrade to, but it's going to cost money! That is why trading the contracts above will be a necessity.

Few examples for top 6:

Stamkos - I'd try to coax him away, he would slot right in our top 6 opposite Raymond with Compher at C. (or does he actually play C? :lol:)

Geuntzel, Bertuzzi, Tarasenko

Middle 6:

DeBrusk, Foegele, Roslovic, even Mantha, just to name a few.

If last night didn't wake a Red Wings fan up from Petry/Chiarot are good fantasy land, NOTHING WILL.  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE STOP DEFENDING BEN CHIAROT.  He has NOT been better this year.  He f u c k I n g sucks, dude.  STOP IT.  PLEASE.  This guy and his 95 year old D partner are 90% of this team's issue.  I can't figure out for the life of me why people keep defending them.  I feel like I need to pin some of your guys' eyes open clockwork orange style and make you watch clips of Ben Chiarot getting cycled on for 15 minutes a game and giving up 5 goals against Buffalo.  Strap you down in a chair until you finally say "Enough, I want us to win.  I'm sorry.  Ben Chiarot isn't doing better.  He's terrible.".   You guys all wanted Brendan Smith hanged when he was here.  Chiarot is 3 times as bad, and everybody wants to defend him constantly.  Why?  Does his Corsi For % need to be under .10 before you change your minds?  It really doesn't need to be this hard.  Out Chiarot, In Edvinsson.  Out Petry, In Johansson.  Can you imagine if Buffalo had played Chiarot and Petry last night instead of Power and Byram?  They didn't.  They played their YOUNG, MOBILE, GOOD defensemen.  and they absolutely torched our OLD, IMMOBILE, TRASH defensemen.  Chiarot is NOT doing better.  He's the same TRASH he's been since he played game 1 with us.  2 more years of him could kill our entire rebuild and turn it into a re-rebuild.

22 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Raymond and Chiarot just had a scuffle in practive today/ Had to be separated. LOL

This is what Ben is for Scott. Keeping Lucas in his place. 

3 hours ago, Motor City Mullets said:

It's all part of the Yzerplan Scott...

indiana-jones-face-melting.gif

Not THAT doomed.  HA

32 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Found the "scuffle" ...liking Ray Ray being all feisty maybe he could do that tomorrow 

Raymond asked him how many minuses he was gonna get on Thurs.

5 minutes ago, Scott R Lucidi said:

Not THAT doomed.  HA

Raymond asked him how many minuses he was gonna get on Thurs.

Youre so full of it. Raymond has the worst plus/minus on the team at -19.

Ben probably asked him if hes going to finally block a shot for once in his career and not stand there like a doof taking more minuses

3 hours ago, Troy McClure said:

Youre so full of it. Raymond has the worst plus/minus on the team at -19.

Ben probably asked him if hes going to finally block a shot for once in his career and not stand there like a doof taking more minuses

I'm not defending Raymond's plus/minus.  That's what Ben said back to Lucas, btw.  The whole fight was over plus/minus.

When we miss the playoffs this year, how much does SY rage and blow up this roster?

I wasnt really behind a Fabbri trade, but its starting to seem like moves like that could happen. Holl buyout? Husso buyout? Petry dumped for future considerations? Maata trade?

SY is a man of action (usually) and his failed inaction at the TDL i could see sparking him to take big swings.

3 hours ago, Troy McClure said:

When we miss the playoffs this year, how much does SY rage and blow up this roster?

I wasnt really behind a Fabbri trade, but its starting to seem like moves like that could happen. Holl buyout? Husso buyout? Petry dumped for future considerations? Maata trade?

SY is a man of action (usually) and his failed inaction at the TDL i could see sparking him to take big swings.

The Colinplan is way better

Heading into 2024, it's imperative to unload atleast 2 D, preferably Holl and Petry and if possible Chiarot.

At forward, trade Fabbri & Copp.  Fabbri to clear cap space, Copp to get rid of an underperforming player and open a roster spot.

UFAs, they need to let Perron, Reimer and Ghost go. Too old, too old, replaceable internally.

UFAs, consider keeping Fischer and Sprong if the cap and term make sense...

Kane should be a priority, so much so, I'd over pay slightly.

In net we need to trade for an upgrade, send Husso or Lyon back as part of the return to clear a spot.

In UFA consider Hanafin and or Pesce. 

Play some the kids or use them as trade assets to get early/mid 20s higher end players (quality over quantity).

Just read an article about 3 Ducks that could be traded this summer.

Zegras, Gibson, and Fowler.

Would Yzerman bring Cam home? Ducks feel that he doesn't fit the rebuild. We are further along. Ducks have well over $30M in cap space, and in a rebuild they shouldn't be looking to add too high a dollar UFA. I bet Yzerman could get them to retain 50% of his salary for the next 2 seasons. Cam Fowler at $3.25M is a heck of a deal. If we are able to dump some D, he could be a nice addition. Trade Holl, Chiarot and Maatta. Buyout Petry (I still think that is happening) or keep him for #7 spot, let Ghost walk. Replace with Edvinsson, Fowler and a top UFA or another acquisition by trade and another internal kid. I am not going to get into trade pieces, but imagine this scenario of acquisitions over the summer on D.

Fowler (50%) - Seider

Edvinsson - Chychrun (50%)

Walman - Sean Walker (just a suggestion)

Petry (or Wallinder/Johansson)

Up front, trade Fabbri, re-sign Kane, Fischer (team friendly deal) and Sprong for term, not salary (5 yrs. $4M maybe). I still see them bringing in Stamkos, it's hard not to see Yzerman going for that vet, especially if he lets Perron and Ghost go. I can see Berggren being a booger and taking the team to arbitration, so unless he really impresses these last games, I'd include him in trade offers. That might be the only reason he is here, so other teams can see him play in the NHL. We might be saying goodbye to some first-round picks, but it might be time to gamble on that.

The Goalie spot is a whole other animal. Do we trust Husso to be #1? Would Husso/Lyon carry us into the playoffs? We might need to find a real #1 guy.

Edited by LeftWinger