• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rice

Shanahan seeking a 2-yr deal at $5M/season

Rate this topic

Just tell him "Bye Bye" Take your offers off the table, and say we are parting ways. We don't need his 40 goals if Kenny could pull off a trade or sign a free agent, which he hasnt done since the cba, and he never pulled off a trade (excluding the Hasek trade because that type of trade would never happen under the new CBA) The only thing kenny knows how to do is overpay players and get bailed out by his scouts. $5million is outrageous and he wont get that anywhere. If he has a career ending injury and cant play next season, under the new CBA he is a cap hit even if he retires. one year $3-3.5million is pushing it as far as im concerned, and two years at anything is just plain wrong.

Zetterberg isn't even worth 4 mil yet and he's our #1 forward.

After the year he had I'd say he most certainly is. One of the top scoring forwards in the game that will probably be a Selke contender in the future? I'd throw $4M at that. Franchise written aaalllll over him. He'll be due for a big payday ($4M+++) once his badass super-underpaid contract is up in a few years.

I'm skeptical about how up-to-date that TSN story is. It's reporting rumors we heard several days ago, and they've been debunked by other team reports or media reports. Boston has definitely bowed out, and the reports we heard before Boston said they wouldn't offer him a contract was that Boston had offered over $5 mil. So, I'm guessing that the info in this TSN article (which is quoting a Montreal-based source) is based on that and other rumors that have been debunked.

I'd be frankly shocked if anyone offered him more than $4 million.

I just don't believe Detroit is going to offer him $5 million when the highest paid forwards on the team are making between $2 and 3.5 million, and he's 37 years old. They don't need to offer that much, especially they know he'll stay unless he gets totally dissed by management here.

Do I remember correctly that the last time his contract was up, there were all these rumors about him getting $5 mil or more from other teams, and all these rumors that Holland was offering that much or more, and then we were surprised to find out he signed for a little over $2 mil?

Me thinks this is deja vu all over again.

EDIT: I don't think the title of this thread is correct. The TSN story does not provide any confirmation that Shanahan is asking or demanding $5 mil a year for two years.

Brendan Shanahan is believed seeking a two-year deal at $5 million a season.

"believed" is a wishy-washy word for news, in my book. There are no statements from him nor his agent, and no statements on record from any teams saying this number is being discussed.

I think this is old rumor being regurgitated and interpreted as new facts.

We better not sign him for $5 mill a year.

anyone know off the top of their heads what other wingers have pulled in that kind of salary?

Not counting pre-CBA stuff: Tanguay makes $5M, Kariya, Kovalev, Heatley, Alfredsson make $4.5M.

Shanny doesn't come close.

EDIT: And lo, for Kovalchuk be not amongst them.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

Not counting pre-CBA stuff: Tanguay and Kovalchuk make $5M, Kariya, Kovalev, Heatley, Alfredsson make $4.5M.

Kovalchuk has a 5-year deal worth $32M. His salary for the upcoming season is $5M but he will be paid upwards of $7M in the final 2 years of his deal. Cap hit is $6.4M/season.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/range...arry_brooks.htm

It is believed that Shanahan has offers of between $3.25-$3.5M from the Rangers; slightly more than that to return to Detroit; and significantly larger than that from Montreal. Despite reports elsewhere, neither the Kings nor the Bruins are in the hunt.

The Wings have offered $4M on a 1-year deal and slightly less on a 2-year deal, but the Habs have ponied up the most cash so far.

Just for s***s and giggles, I looked up the top goal scorers in the league last year and did a comparison between what they did in the regular season and what they did in the playoffs. I did not use player position in the criteria. But looking at this information, Shanny asking for $4.5 mil or even $5 mil is not outrageous (sorry about the formatting...it's the best I could do. :blink:) -

Player/Team.......Age... RSG...PG... #G... 06-07 Pay

Selanne ANA.....36 .....40 ......6 .....16 ....$3.75 million

Alfredsson OTT.34..... 43.......2......10.....$4.676 million

Crosby PIT.........18 .....39....... N/A.. 0.... .$850,000

Hossa ATL........27......39........3 ......7......$6 million

Zetterberg DET..26......39 .......6 ......6 ....$2.6 million

Jokkinen FLA ....28 .....38 .......N/A ..0 ....$6 million

Shahahan DET ..37 ....40 .......1 .......6 ....UFA

RSG - regular season goals

PG - playoff goals

#G - number of playoff games played

I do, however, believe a lot of these other offers are posutring by Shanny, and he will sign with the Wings, probably for around $3.5 mil a season for two or $4 mil. Looking at what some of these other guys who scored near 40 goals last season are getting paid, that's a relative bargain.

I know a lot of people are ready to kick him to the curb but where are we going to get that kind of goal scoring for less money? I mean, Zetterberg's on the list, but with him AND Shanny we've got two guys who are going to give you 70-80 goals a season for about $7 million. That's a pretty good 1-2 punch in goal scoring. And with Shanny we've got size, which, even at 37 years of age he's not afraid to use.

Edited by Yzermania19

Crosby's only making 850,000?

I did not know that.

It's an entry level contract. Ovechkin is only making ~$984k.

I know a lot of people are ready to kick him to the curb but where are we going to get that kind of goal scoring for less money? I mean, Zetterberg's on the list, but with him AND Shanny we've got two guys who are going to give you 70-80 goals a season for about $7 million. That's a pretty good 1-2 punch in goal scoring. And with Shanny we've got size, which, even at 37 years of age he's not afraid to use.

We dont need more goal scoring. We need more playoff production and hunger. Give Shanahan's roster spot to one of the GR kids and let them develop. I'd rather see one of them here than Shanahan scoring easy perimeter goals in the season and wasting away in the playoffs for the fourth year in a row. Plus, if the Wings dont sign him they'll have some cap room to work with at the deadline.

And Shanahan doesnt use his size.

Edited by ARice89

I thought both Crosby and Ovechkin's contracts were performance bonus laden with incentives that would get them up to nearly $4M. I could have sworn I read that here, but I could be talking out of my ass. :P

We dont need more goal scoring. We need more playoff production and hunger.

But that was my point - NONE of these players who scored 38+ goals in the regular season really performed all that well in the playoffs. Why is Shanny being singled out as some sort of money-hungry pariah, based solely on what he did in the playoffs? Jokkinen's team didn't even make the playoffs, and he's getting $6 million next season! No one is judging him on playoff performance, because they can't.

Perimiter goals or not, Shanny's goals still count and he scored 40 of 'em for us during the season. That kind of production is not easily replaceable. I don't think this team should be so quick to throw that away just to "develop" a GR kid who would be better off with more ice time with the Griffs.

All of you people who are ready to rip the Red Wing crest from Shanny's sweater are the same ones who, should he leave, will be screaming on these boards come January about how we should have signed him because we could sure use his goal scoring.

And. IMO, he does use his size...but you say poTAYto and I say poTAHto... B)

I thought both Crosby and Ovechkin's contracts were performance bonus laden with incentives that would get them up to nearly $4M. I could have sworn I read that here, but I could be talking out of my ass. :P

Maybe...I'm not sure. I took the salaries from NHLPA.com, and they are for the 06-07 season, which is why Shanny's salary is "N/A", becasue technically he doesn't have a salary yet. Crosby could have made more this past season - the $850K is probably his base salary for next season.

Just for s***s and giggles, I looked up the top goal scorers in the league last year and did a comparison between what they did in the regular season and what they did in the playoffs. I did not use player position in the criteria. But looking at this information, Shanny asking for $4.5 mil or even $5 mil is not outrageous (sorry about the formatting...it's the best I could do. :blink:) -

Player/Team.......Age... RSG...PG... #G... 06-07 Pay

Selanne ANA.....36 .....40 ......6 .....16 ....$3.75 million

Alfredsson OTT.34..... 43.......2......10.....$4.676 million

Crosby PIT.........18 .....39....... N/A.. 0.... .$850,000

Hossa ATL........27......39........3 ......7......$6 million

Zetterberg DET..26......39 .......6 ......6 ....$2.6 million

Jokkinen FLA ....28 .....38 .......N/A ..0 ....$6 million

Shahahan DET ..37 ....40 .......1 .......6 ....UFA

RSG - regular season goals

PG - playoff goals

#G - number of playoff games played

Atlanta didn't make the playoffs.

But that was my point - NONE of these players who scored 38+ goals in the regular season really performed all that well in the playoffs.

That statement is seriously ridiculous.

Henrik Zetterberg did just fine scoring 6 times in 6 games.

Dany Heatley had 12 points in 10 games.

Daniel Alfredsson had 10 points in 10 games.

Teemu Selanne had 14 points in 16 games.

Eric Staal (45 regular season goals) had 28 points in 25 games and was a Conn Smythe finalist.

Brian Gionta had 7 points in 9 games.

Simon Gagne had 4 points in 6 games.

Jonathan Cheechoo had 9 points in 11 games.

Jagr only had 1 point in 3 games but he was playing seriously injured.

Brendan Shanahan had 2 points in 6 games, and was most certainly the worst playoff performer of the 38+ goal pack.

Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Jokinen, Ovechkin and Crosby didn't make the playoffs.

But that was my point - NONE of these players who scored 38+ goals in the regular season really performed all that well in the playoffs. Why is Shanny being singled out as some sort of money-hungry pariah, based solely on what he did in the playoffs?

I dont really understand your logic. You justify the possibility of Shanahan making $4 million a year by posting some pretty meaningless statistics. Selanne had a great playoff. Alfredsson is a playoff choker. I dont even know why you put guys who havent played in the playoffs/werent in the playoffs last year on that list. Zetterberg is 26 and is outscoring Shanahan in both the season and the playoffs but is making less, so how is that a good argument for your point? The bottom line is Shanahan hasnt performed in the last three playoffs, and has only performed well in 2 of the 3 last regular seasons (which doesnt really matter, in my book). I dont care how some of his peers performed. He's sucked 3 playoffs in a row, is getting up there in age, and doesnt deserve that kind of money.

Perimiter goals or not, Shanny's goals still count and he scored 40 of 'em for us during the season. That kind of production is not easily replaceable. I don't think this team should be so quick to throw that away just to "develop" a GR kid who would be better off with more ice time with the Griffs.

I realize that production is not replacable, but one goal in six playoff games sure is. Who cares about the regular season anymore? Honestly. This team must get younger, faster, and hungrier. There comes a time when you get rid of the older guys and throw some younger guys into the mix. -- and you know the time has come when the 37 year old who has shown abysmal performance in three straight playoffs is asking for more money than your young superstar, Zetterberg. Sure you may drop in the regular season standings, but would you rather have a Stanley Cup or a President's Trophy. If you're not Ken Holland, you'd probably rather have the former.

All of you people who are ready to rip the Red Wing crest from Shanny's sweater are the same ones who, should he leave, will be screaming on these boards come January about how we should have signed him because we could sure use his goal scoring.

Let those people scream in January. I'll be screaming about how great the younger, hungrier team looks in April.

And. IMO, he does use his size...

There's no opinion involved; Brendan Shanahan is no longer a power forward. He no longer dishes out hits or crashes the net. He rarely sticks up for his teammates (See: Yzerman, 2006 playoffs). There's a difference between having size and using size.

I think I might paint the walls if Holland even thinks about throwing Shanny what he wants. Shanny is one-dimensional nowdays, so I'd maybe peg him at close to $3 million, but only on a one year deal. We'll end up overpaying since right now we don't have much that could even pretend to be scoring wingers on the roster. If we end up paying $4 million, we paid a million too much, IMO. Then I'd much rather plug in anoth.... oh wait, almost everyone is gone by now, silly me!

Is Shanny worth 4-5 million a year. I would say without hesitation, yes. Now is he worth 4-5 million to the Wings in the salary cap era? NO!

I don't see how you can keep pointing to his playoff numbers as an indication of his worth. The fact is this team for the last three years has run in to teams in the first round that played a defensive scheme that is designed to cut down on scoring chances. I don't care what "power forward" you replace Shanny with they are not going to score at a pace that is going to please anybody around here.

The Wings need to go back to playing good team defense in the playoffs. They scored enough to win, but let in more than enough goals to lose. Want to blame somebody? Blame the guy in suit standing on the bench barking orders.

Maybe...I'm not sure. I took the salaries from NHLPA.com, and they are for the 06-07 season, which is why Shanny's salary is "N/A", becasue technically he doesn't have a salary yet. Crosby could have made more this past season - the $850K is probably his base salary for next season.

I must be on crack, because I just read this explanation of bonuses under the new CBA:

Entry level signing bonuses for players cannot exceed 10% of their salary meaning the highest signing bonuses can be is $85,000 and the maximum a player can earn through performance bonuses is $212,500.

In addition teams will be restricted to whom they can award performance bonuses. Teams will be allowed to give bonuses only to players 35 years or older on one-year deals or players who have played at least 400 NHL games and spent at least 100 days the previous season on Injured Reserve, but those bonuses will count toward the team's salary cap figure.

Edited by edicius

Meaningless stats? Are you or are you not trying to say Shanny's not worth what he's asking based on playoff performance? Well, there it is. Why are these stats meaningless when trying to argue for Shanny staying but everything when you're trying to say Shanny doesn't deserve his pay day? I mean, playoff production seems to be the sole criterion for slamming the door in Shanny's face. So, again I say, there it is.

And as far as the young kids being hungry come April, there won't be anything to be hungry about if we don't score enough goals to win enough games for them to have anything to be hungry over. We're going to need a TON of goal scoring if we sign Belfour. No Shanny = no playoffs. Period.

Okay fine...I know when I'm not going to win an argument so I'm done trying to argue this point. I'm throwing my hands up and walking away from you morons on this topic. You are so determined to get rid of one of our best players. I just don't get it.

I'm sticking by my opinion that the Detroit Red Wings are a MUCH BETTER TEAM with Brendan Shanahan in the lineup than they would be without him. That is based on everything he has done for the team in the past 10 years, not just the last few playoff runs because frankly, if we got rid of everyone who played poorly since 2003 there would be no one left on the team, save Stevie (who just retired, so he'd be gone anyway) and Zetterberg.

I'm through with this topic. Peace out, folks. :hippie:

Meaningless stats? Are you or are you not trying to say Shanny's not worth what he's asking based on playoff performance? Well, there it is. Why are these stats meaningless when trying to argue for Shanny staying but everything when you're trying to say Shanny doesn't deserve his pay day? I mean, playoff production seems to be the sole criterion for slamming the door in Shanny's face. So, again I say, there it is.

See FBF's above post.

No Shanny = no playoffs. Period.

That's funny.

EDIT - I just want to make it clear that I beleive the Wings need more scoring threats on the wing, but they need hungry ones who are willing to pay the price. Not Shanahan. And especially not for $4 million/year.

Edited by ARice89

Okay fine...I know when I'm not going to win an argument so I'm done trying to argue this point. I'm throwing my hands up and walking away from you morons on this topic. You are so determined to get rid of one of our best players. I just don't get it.

I'm sticking by my opinion that the Detroit Red Wings are a MUCH BETTER TEAM with Brendan Shanahan in the lineup than they would be without him.

Don't walk away, just admit that you're wrong...

...Shanny has not played well in the playoffs. Playoff performances are all that matters in the NHL. If you think back to the past here in Hockeytown, you'll remember that we had a whole team built to score and win during the regular season. Have you forgotten the years when Detroit was the best in the league, yet they were bounced from the playoffs every year?

Face the facts: you need guys with grit and hunger to win in the playoffs. Skill is needed as well, but 40 goals in the regular season means nothing. Stevie had 50 goal seasons and was not effective in the playoffs. We need playoff performers... in '97 we had Drapes, Maltby and Kocur chipping in timely goals. Shanny played an important role too. He scored when we needed the goals... he was physical, he was hungry. He may still have the hunger, but something is missing.

I think Shanny is a valuable member of this team, but by no means is he worth the money he is asking for, nor is he worth the supposed money Holland is offering.

I must be on crack, because I just read this explanation of bonuses under the new CBA:

Scroll down to the "B" bonuses (p262). There's a lot of cash to be had and I'm fairly certain both Sid and AO pretty much maxxed those out.

All I really have to say is that if he does end up back in Detroit, it sure as hell better not be 5M, that will just be outrageous. He definitely does not deserve that money and while I like the guy, IMO, I think we should let him go.

Like I said though, if he comes back, fine, but not at 5M. NO WAY!

Oh my gosh, you have got to be joking! :crazy:

This could quite possibly be the most absurd thing I've ever read. $4 million for someone who doesn't turn up in the Playoffs, unbelievable.

i agree with that.. he did absolute nothing in the playoffs.. so big deal he scored some goals in the regular season, but when it counted the most, he was no where to be found.. holland is crazy