• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rice

Shanahan seeking a 2-yr deal at $5M/season

Rate this topic

A close friend of mine who lives in Boston says that the Shanahan deal is pretty much all but dead. There's been a lot of talk on WEEI (850 AM) stating that the Bruins feel that he's asking for too much and his best years are obviously past him. The "Boston Herald" deal is being reported on there as bogus since such a big contract to Shanny would put the B's very close to the cap limit, something that interim GM Jeff Gorton doesn't want to leave for his eventually replacement.

My best bet would be that he's coming back to Detroit, only because they may be the only team who's actually willing to fork up the $$ to him. There is a lot of posturing going on by Curran, but when you're playing the market you don't want to tip off that your client is signing anywhere. I'd say right now it's 70-30 that he'll be back in a Wings uni.

Well if he's signing with the Wings, and if it's that $4M deal, it's $4M down the tubes. The Wings called the Lidstrom signing a "hometown discount" and the Osgood signing something similar, for what? So the cash saved on those two signings could go towards Shanahan? Very nice. This is real loyalty, keeping your former team hanging while you go all over the country trying to find the best deal possible. No worries, it's business, fine.

$4 million for two seasons? It hurts to even consider. He's likely going to deteriorate over time and 2 year deal diminishes the already slim chance of a new deal with Datsyuk.

Crap.

What a joke. 4 millon is a joke. Then what is Datsyuk say, "Well you gave Shanny 4 mill, I want 8 because I am 10 years younger."

What a joke.

Well if he's signing with the Wings, and if it's that $4M deal, it's $4M down the tubes. The Wings called the Lidstrom signing a "hometown discount" and the Osgood signing something similar, for what? So the cash saved on those two signings could go towards Shanahan? Very nice. This is real loyalty, keeping your former team hanging while you go all over the country trying to find the best deal possible. No worries, it's business, fine.

I'd bet that Shanny feels he gave them the "hometown discount" last year. He took a huge paycut. He proved himself in the regular season, and now he wants a raise. I don't blame him for trying, and I don't blame him for shopping around. After all, this is a business, and he's probably only got a couple more years left in the biz.

Right out of the Detroit News................."General manager Ken Holland hopes to hear from Brendan Shanahan 's agent today or Thursday. Shanahan, a free-agent forward, is attracting interest from St. Louis, Boston, the Rangers, Montreal and Toronto.

The Wings are offering Shanahan a slight raise above the $2.18 million he made last season.

Who came up with 4 Mil???

Agreed. Mlive isn't the most reliable source. I'll go with the DetNews on that one. I'm for keeping Shanny but 4 mill ain't gonna happen. Now that Stevie is gone - he may think more about leaving. I'm sure he's seeing how close the other offers are. My guess is that he won't bolt unless they are significantly more.

Guest Meep

As if it really needs to be stated again, $4 million for Shanahan is ridiculous.

According to a knowledgeable source, the possibility of free agent winger Brendan Shanahan signing with the B’s is now dead. Reportedly, St. Louis and Detroit are in the running for the 37-year-old’s services.

Link

I'd bet that Shanny feels he gave them the "hometown discount" last year. He took a huge paycut. He proved himself in the regular season, and now he wants a raise. I don't blame him for trying, and I don't blame him for shopping around. After all, this is a business, and he's probably only got a couple more years left in the biz.

Of course, I agree it's just business, but everyone took less money last year thanks to the lockout. So Shanahan is shopping for a last paycheck while he leaves his former team hanging in the balance. Some blame goes to Holland, too, who instead of waiting around should've signed other UFAs and moved on, but he keeps running behind Shanahan, while Shanahan runs behind the biggest paycheck.

What the Wings should've done with Fedorov, they are doing with Shanahan, i.e. making every effort to keep him around with bigger contracts. Fedorov was driven out of town with one shrinking offer after next. So maybe Holland has some sort of a guilt complex and is trying to overcompensate. A spot that should be filled by a younger, speedier guy will instead be taken by a 37-year old with a $4M paycheck.

When the Wings should be looking to deal for a goalie and signing a forward and a grinder for the 4th line, they will instead sign an old, washed up goalie like Belfour because they won't be able to afford anyone else after Shanahan takes up a chunk of that self-imposed $6M cap room.

So Osgood took less money and Lidstrom took less money being part of the old core and all, what does this make Shanahan? But it's okay, he has every right to chase the big paycheck, it's business after all.

If Shanny re-signs, Holland is officially a moron. I know those are strong words but I am sick of Holland not taking aggressive steps to re-tool the team. I don't expect the team to win every year but I expect efforts would be taken to address obvious needs. As it stands today, the team will not get out of the 1st, tops 2nd round.

When has this guy done anything creative in his FA signings? The cups were won on a core built by his predecessors. 2002 was due to an unlimited cap and Hull, Hasek and Luc practically walking into the Wings hands.

According to MLive, there is a comment from Davidson saying the Blues are out of the running as well. So Boston has apparently bowed out as well as the Blues. Guess that leaves Detroit......Holland will get his man after all. The saddest part is the fact Holland is still leaving messages to Shanahan and his agent telling Brendan how much the Wings want him back.

Edited by RedRum #1

According to MLive, there is a comment from Davidson saying the Blues are out of the running as well. So Boston has apparently bowed out as well as the Blues. Guess that leaves Detroit......Holland will get his man after all. The saddest part is the fact Holland is still leaving messages to Shanahan and his agent telling Brendan how much the Wings want him back.

Holland's like a whimpy boyfriend being played. Leaving lovey-dovey messages to his lady telling her how much he loves her, while she's out trying to bang other guys.

this is a very sh***y situation. on one hand, the Wings are down the greatest leader the sport has ever known with Yzerman retiring, thus the need for Shanny more and more, they also have the fact that for the last decade Brendan has been a fan favorite and overall clutch for the organization, I mean you look at his preformance in the Wings Stanley cup years and he did amazing for us. But, before everyone goes nuts about me mentioning the past when it means exactly d**k now, I have to say: Shanahan asking for $5 Mil is shameful, him getting $4 Mil from the Wings sucks, but when we stop and think about it, who the hell are the Wings to push a $2.5 Mil contract at him in the first place? Holland thought that since the greats like Yzerman, Shanny, and others took a cut after the lockout, that was going to be things from now on, business as usual without the price tag. How much are the other 40 goal, 80 point producers making this year?

I know a lot of people are going to shout about needing younger players and need to start from scratch but we have to consider the fact that in the old days, we didn't have to worry about how much a player was getting paid, just that he laced them up and kicked ass for us. Things are different now and there is a cap, which prevents the kind of dream team making with the Wings that our generation has grown accustom to. Literally the second the Wings were outta the playoffs, people must have started huffing whatever was under the sink, making wish lists of players they wanted to see on the Wings. I laughed at the fact that what people were putting up on the forum weren't replacements here and there, but full on new rosters of players that could never fit in the cap. People are naive to the fact that new eras don't happen over night, they go through a very long and very sh***y transition period. 42 years the Wings went without a cup and screamed for change. I bet most people bitched when they first picked up an 18 year old, hot shot kid they thought was too young and small, and probably bitched more 3 years later when he was the Captain of the team.

I mean in the end, I wish that Brendan would have gone for $3 Mil, I think he deserved at least that and to tell you the truth I think that, if up front, Holland would have made Shanny feel needed and wanted back by giving him more than a .22 Mil raise for his play in this past season, we wouldn't have to hear this ridiculous $5 Mil proposal which I can almost guarantee he doesn't get. It sucks because we all watch Federov get booed, I've been to a Red Wings game in Columbus and he was getting booed at home, when in the end, I never blamed him for the situation, I blamed management. It sucks that Shanny is old, slow, and doesn't use his size the way we got used to in his youth, especially the last couple years come playoff time. I am pissed he got greedy but at the same time I feel like Holland blew the big one on signing him earlier for less.

I love Datsyuk, but lets pose this question: where the hell has Pavel been in the playoffs since we picked him up?

If Shanahan comes back next season, I welcome him and blame management. If Shanahan goes elsewhere, I thank him sincerely for the last decade which has been a complete honor watching him and Steve play together, and wish him the best whereever he finds himself. And, as someone else said earlier, I would be disgusted if fans boo'd him when against the Wings like they do Feds.

He was here 4 seasons... let me break it down for you

1st season- Rookie year (won Stanley)

2nd season- 1st round sweep. Where was anyone? We even had Hatcher and Cujo. Nobody showed up... not even Zetterberg.

3rd season- Lock out (can hardly prove anything during a lock out)

4th season- Injured. out for large number of games b4 post season. He shouldn't have been on the ice in his condition. But he wanted to be.

To answer your question. out of 4 seasons, he really never had the chance to get fired up and prove himself.

...And Shanny is more stupid for not jumping on ithat immediately! I mean c'mon... who else would even consider giving him 4 mil? The Rangers aren't even that stupid....

1st season - Rookie year (won cup on all star lineup. benched first round against Vancouver)

2nd season - swept by anaheim (did nothing)

3rd seaon - lost to Calgary 2nd round (played OK against nashville first round. Invisible against bigger more physical Flames)

4th season - Lockout

5th Season- Lost in 1st round to Oilers

He was here 4 seasons... let me break it down for you

2nd season- 1st round sweep. Where was anyone? We even had Hatcher and Cujo. Nobody showed up... not even Zetterberg.

Z hadn't come into his own at that point, so I wouldn't say he didn't "show up". He wasn't given the opportunity he's been given this year.

Of course, I agree it's just business, but everyone took less money last year thanks to the lockout. So Shanahan is shopping for a last paycheck while he leaves his former team hanging in the balance. Some blame goes to Holland, too, who instead of waiting around should've signed other UFAs and moved on, but he keeps running behind Shanahan, while Shanahan runs behind the biggest paycheck.

What the Wings should've done with Fedorov, they are doing with Shanahan, i.e. making every effort to keep him around with bigger contracts. Fedorov was driven out of town with one shrinking offer after next. So maybe Holland has some sort of a guilt complex and is trying to overcompensate. A spot that should be filled by a younger, speedier guy will instead be taken by a 37-year old with a $4M paycheck.

When the Wings should be looking to deal for a goalie and signing a forward and a grinder for the 4th line, they will instead sign an old, washed up goalie like Belfour because they won't be able to afford anyone else after Shanahan takes up a chunk of that self-imposed $6M cap room.

So Osgood took less money and Lidstrom took less money being part of the old core and all, what does this make Shanahan? But it's okay, he has every right to chase the big paycheck, it's business after all.

Shanahan made less than half last season than he did in the season before the lockout, right? (Yes, I'd agree that his $6 mil or whatever it was wasn't warranted last year at all). I think it's very fair for a player who was your top goal scorer, put in 40 goals, has been in excellent physical shape (the only player on the entire team who has not missed a game in the last two playing seasons) to try to get a raise.

If I agreed to take just over one-third of my regular salary for a year because times were tight, and I performed very well (higher than anyone else in the company) during that salary cut year, I sure as hell would ask for a raise.

Lidstrom is making something like 7.6 million - of course he's a nice guy for making a few hundred thousand less than he could. Shanahan is a greedy jerk for asking for a raise after taking about a 60% paycut the year before? They *both* were on the team that didn't get any farther than the first round.

And as I expect, all of this talk of big money contracts for Shanny with other teams is just BS. Kenny knows that. Other teams claim they're interested and numbers get floated to the media, but it's a ploy to see if Kenny will jump and sign Shanny at a higher rate than necessary, get us to waste money. Kenny didn't jump. He hasn't signed Shanahan yet. I bet he'll sign here for no more than $4 mil - in fact, I'd bet it'll be more like $3 mil.

He also needs to sign someone like Shanahan so he can trade away one or more of the underperforming forwards that are costing us as much or more and returing us less value.

I don't have a problem with Shanahan getting a salary between $3-4 million for one year. He contributed more to the team last season than Datsyuk, Lang, Draper, or Maltby.

Also, Shanny signing for $4 mil really screws the Wings come next year and the hometown discounts that have already been taken by Lids and Ozzie. I'm not saying that 40 goal scorers don't deserved to be paid, but Shanny's age should counter that amount a little more than $4 mil. A fair amount would be $2.75-$3.25 IMO.