• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

Wings acquire Kyle Calder in 3-way deal

Rate this topic

Hopefully this is true. Bye bye Jason.

Now get Guerin with Hudler and 1st, and we are done.

Dats - Zeta - Homer

Calder/Cleary - Lang - Guerin

Franz - Drapes - Malts

Cleary/Calder - Filp - Sammy

I say until Cleary returns we demote Lang to the checking line and make it Filppula, Hudler, Calder on the second line!

Excellent trade, Calder is a gritty guy who can put the puck in the net. Last year in Chicago he was coming into form, if he returns to that type of player, he'll be a stud for years. Oh yeah, and he's young also. This move is all upside.

I'm no member of the Jason Williams fan club, but this trade makes no sense whatsoever.

Let's trade one smallish underperforming forward for.... another?!?

I hope this isn't the only deal the Wings make, 'cause this doesn't improve the team much!

Are you serious? You're talking about one player who plays for one of the best teams in the league, and another who plays for the worst. They practically have the same amount of points this season. Calder has more upside than Willy. This trade makes perfect sense. If Calder does work out, hooray! Because he can be a 20 goal scorer if you give him the right team, not Philly... The guy had 26 goals with Chicago last season. If Calder does not work out, you save 2 millionish on Williams contract for next season and put it toward getting Datsyuk signed or signing a sweet UFA.

This was by no means a major trade, but it was a very smart trade - Calder has more skill than Williams.

Guest MrSandMan

I'm in hopes that he proves himself... if so, I'm sure Kenny can get him to sign.

You'r right, he's young too.

Excellent trade, Calder is a gritty guy who can put the puck in the net. Last year in Chicago he was coming into form, if he returns to that type of player, he'll be a stud for years. Oh yeah, and he's young also. This move is all upside.

Hearing this come from you makes the trade sound great! LOL

I've seen Calder play a few times and I like what I saw. He seems like an energy type of player that's a hard worker and always drives to the net. *Which the Wings definitely need*

Barnes, do you know if he's the type to stick up or fight for his teammates?

Alright, I just got home from work and have been surfing the web and found out a couple things:

1. We are only on the hook for 25% of Calder's salary which is about $325,000

2. -31 +/- means nothing coming from Philly.

3. -31 will change because he comes to a fantastic defensive team

4. He is a fresh face, someone to shake up this team a little bit. We have become too comfortable and aren't playing with all that much enthusiasm and this new face should help that out a bit.

5. Calder is a UFA and Willy had $1.6 million coming his way next year, now which we aren't responsible for.

6. What if he thrives? Scenario: Willy hasn't done anything and Calder comes in for the last 20 or so games and puts up 8 goals and 14 assists on the now stagnant 2nd line with Lang...

7. He most likely will put up better numbers because we have so many playmakers on this team to set him up for 8-12 goals.

That is my analysis...

Edited by rwfan007

IPB Image

:thumbup:

lol...Calder vs Avery!

unfortunately, that is not calder in the picture. lou siffer pointed out who it is earlier. i forget. calder was #19.

Edited by KevinD

unfortunately, that is not calder in the picture. lou siffer pointed out who it is earlier. i forget. calder was #19.

yea looking at more pics of him now, and he is #19 (good luck wearing that number hear bub!)

Yahoo messed up the photos and that isnt calder....my mistake! :blush:

Excellent deal.

We get a slightly older player (about 19 months) who can bring Willy's points, is more of a goal scorer than Willy is, and can crash and bang. No, he's not Bertuzzi of 2003, but this move is a 2-fer.

Holland just added size, strength, skill, and experience while removing a defensive liability.

Hearing this come from you makes the trade sound great! LOL

I've seen Calder play a few times and I like what I saw. He seems like an energy type of player that's a hard worker and always drives to the net. *Which the Wings definitely need*

Barnes, do you know if he's the type to stick up or fight for his teammates?

He's not really a fighter, but he's gritty enough to get in the traffic areas. He's not a wallflower, he'll throw his weight around, but he's a bit small. I like this deal for a few reasons, one because the Wings will acquire at least one more forward with size, and two because he's young and a ufa, so if things don't work out, you can say goodbye and not lose anything. Calder is also a good guy, I've been out drinking with him a few times, he's a solid dude. Not that that is any prediction of success. Let me just say again that he was great in Chicago last year, so much so that there's no way this trade gets done last summer. Stay tuned though, Holland's not done

I think that's MIke Richards

He's not really a fighter, but he's gritty enough to get in the traffic areas. He's not a wallflower, he'll throw his weight around, but he's a bit small. I like this deal for a few reasons, one because the Wings will acquire at least one more forward with size, and two because he's young and a ufa, so if things don't work out, you can say goodbye and not lose anything. Calder is also a good guy, I've been out drinking with him a few times, he's a solid dude. Not that that is any prediction of success. Let me just say again that he was great in Chicago last year, so much so that there's no way this trade gets done last summer.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but on the surface it seems like he could be a martin gelinas type player.

I really like this move. If anything we have a natural winger in place of one of our 2,000 centers. Very pleased and I have always liked Calder. I think he has good potential. I also think Williams will do real good in Chicago.

He's not really a fighter, but he's gritty enough to get in the traffic areas. He's not a wallflower, he'll throw his weight around, but he's a bit small. I like this deal for a few reasons, one because the Wings will acquire at least one more forward with size, and two because he's young and a ufa, so if things don't work out, you can say goodbye and not lose anything. Calder is also a good guy, I've been out drinking with him a few times, he's a solid dude. Not that that is any prediction of success. Let me just say again that he was great in Chicago last year, so much so that there's no way this trade gets done last summer. Stay tuned though, Holland's not done

Sounds good to me! The second I heard we got Calder I got REALLY excited. I then come on here and everyone is so negative about it which I still don't understand. I'm excited to see what he can do with the Wings. Here's to hoping he sparks that second line!!

After a third assessment of this trade and reading this thread I am liking this trade a lot. Man, I gotta get to bed, all this trade deadline stuff is messing with my brain.

You're telling me! I have class in like...6 hours..and here I am wondering on LGW and other sites for the latest on trades. Unlikely to happen at a time like now since it's very late, but still, I just can't fall asleep!

not exactly sure why, but i like this. calder is about 485876876874326851 times the player cory cross is and that deal just pissed me off last year.

hopefully a guerin or bertuzzi is coming but if not im ok with that too.

21 points on the year for calder on the leagues worst team(by far).

26 points for williams on the year with the teams 3 BEST(as the points stand now).

this kid is only gonna get better and if he is physical, and call williams a lot of things but physical is def NOT one of them, then this deal makes perfect sense.

let alone even is he is williams twin in points, were saving cap space, so a good business call too. i like it all around.

You're telling me! I have class in like...6 hours..and here I am wondering on LGW and other sites for the latest on trades. Unlikely to happen at a time like now since it's very late, but still, I just can't fall asleep!

SLeep??? :lol: Good luck with that one!!!

yay! you fellow hockey insomniacs can keep me company! :)

no thanks. let the worries worry about themselves while we sleep. Sleep well everyone and heres hoping that by 3 PM tomorrow we will have a team that compete for the cup!