• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

Wings acquire Kyle Calder in 3-way deal

Rate this topic

So maybe we play against Jason tomorrow?

Who's up for hearing Ken Daniels say this:

"Pass back to Williams at the point. Puck hops over his stick. Oh, and look out! A Breakaway for Kris Draper!"

Holland calling Calder "gritty" in that article ARice posted bothers me. Kyle Calder does not add grit! I hope to god Holland realizes Calder does nothing to address that need. Reminds me of when he called Lilja a tough defenseman.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Holland calling Calder "gritty" in that article ARice posted bothers me. Kyle Calder does not add grit! I hope to god Holland realizes Calder does nothing to address that need. Reminds me of when he called Lilja a tough defenseman.

Well I suppose it's compared to anyone on the Wings that he's got the grit.

Anyways..I have this weird/good feeling that if Franzen and Calder play together on the same line that some magic will happen.

Wow, I am so not enthused with this trade...

KLSJKDGJS JEN! I have missed you!

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

Anyways..I have this weird/good feeling that if Franzen and Calder play together on the same line that some magic will happen.

KLSJKDGJS JEN! I have missed you!

:D I have not been around much, but I hope to be soon. I've been very busy!

I just read the report on NHL.com. It said: "The Red Wings certainly paid a fairly stiff price for Calder, sending the speedy Williams to Chicago. Just 26, Williams already has 233 NHL games under his belt. He was also a part-time player during Detroit's run to the 2002 Stanley Cup. Last season, Williams topped 20 goals for the first time, netting 21 goals and 58 points in his first season as a full-time NHLer"

... I just though that was kind of funny, considering how people here felt about him. I don't really feel like we paid a stiff price for Calder. :crazy:

Williams is an arrogant ass and I'm glad to see him gone. The second line couldn't get any colder if Kenny signed a penguin so I'm willing to give Calder the benefit, considering he had good stats last year and played in Philly this year.

IPB ImageIPB Image

I just read the report on NHL.com. It said: "The Red Wings certainly paid a fairly stiff price for Calder, sending the speedy Williams to Chicago. Just 26, Williams already has 233 NHL games under his belt. He was also a part-time player during Detroit's run to the 2002 Stanley Cup. Last season, Williams topped 20 goals for the first time, netting 21 goals and 58 points in his first season as a full-time NHLer"

... I just though that was kind of funny, considering how people here felt about him. I don't really feel like we paid a stiff price for Calder. :crazy:

I noticed this too. Jason Williams is NOT particularly speedy, and he was completely irrelevant in the 2002 cup run. He may have scored 58 points, but he is probably responsible for more against.

Funny how they didnt include that he was also directly responsible for the Oilers surge in the game that eliminated us from the 2006 playoffs.

Interesting move I guess...

Calder definitely wasn't my first idea of a trade. I haven't checked the replies in this thread and won't read through all 10+ pages but I can bet that 80% of the posts are complaining that he is undersized and that Holland is a dolt.

I don't know much about him, but who knows, maybe he'll provide some spark on the 2nd/3rd line. At least this, along with Cleary's injury, is going to force Robert Lang to play with new linemates, which will hopefully get him going.

We didn't lose out on this trade at all. Williams took a lot of s**t on here from people, and while he's no superstar, he's not utterly useless either. I don't see Calder being significantly better/worse than him though, so right now it's just a swap-swap players for me.

No real harm done either way right now.

Sounds like Calder is just another piece of crap...

Maybe, except he's a new piece of crap and only til the end of the playoffs. By the way, does 26 goals last season sound like crap to you...and dont even point out the hypocrisy of Williams 21 goals last year, because I'm aware. Some people just need fresh starts.

quote from Williams regarding going to Chicago, "I'm happy to be going to a team that wants me and I'm looking forward to helping the Blackhawks." Lol

Edited by shanahanman

Even then though, i dont really think so. Im not gonna be able to sleep easily tonight knowing that Holland believes Calder adds grit! lol. I just hate the thought of him thinking he's addressed the issue in some way, you know? Cause that couldnt be further from the truth. Here's hoping for two physical forwards tomorrow! (with actual grit and some toughness!)

quote from Williams regarding going to Chicago, "I'm happy to be going to a team that wants me and I'm looking forward to helping the Blackhawks." Lol

:tear: hey willy, do something other than suck and maybe you can talk

Just saw this article on M-Live.

Calder hopes for fresh start in Detroit

Even then though, i dont really think so. Im not gonna be able to sleep easily tonight knowing that Holland believes Calder adds grit! lol. I just hate the thought of him thinking he's addressed the issue in some way, you know? Cause that couldnt be further from the truth. Here's hoping for two physical forwards tomorrow! (with actual grit and some toughness!)

hahaha im not going to be able to sleep either, but that's from the excitement on what tomorrow may bring!

I don't want to read through 13 pages, so not sure if this has been asked yet, but any guess which line Calder plays on? I'd put him out there with Lang.

Yep. He'll be on Langers line. Maybe it'll spark something!

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

Guest MrSandMan

I'd imagine he'd play on Langs line. Hhope he's ready to pick up Langs slack... Glad this kid brings energy and plays hard.

I'm very pleased with this trade, it makes total sense! Frees up roster and contract space to better next year... and also give this kid a chance to shine like Cleary has.

It's win/win.

Lasty, We must trust in our scouts... They do a fine job!

Holland :thumbup:

Edited by MrSandMan

This is a good pick up, anyone who thinks otherwise... well you're wrong. Sorry, but it's true.

Calder is a better player than Williams. Calder will play harder than Williams and he has more skill than Williams. Someone said something about Holland calling Calder gritty, well I was just reading on ESPN a quote by calder where he said he just wants to play hard and play gritty for Detroit. So take that, naysayers! Anyway, this is a good move and we gave up just Williams. Yes, Calder was a -31, but he played for the worst team in the league. s***, Gagne and Pitkanen were both in the -20's at one point, what do you want? Haha.

Anyway, I smell another trade on the way. Either Guerin, Bertuzzi, Blake, or Nolan will be in... I believe.

The more I think about this trade, the more I like it. I didn't have to much against Williams, but I agree it was time for him to go. This is far from a major move, but it looks like Calder brings a lot to the table.

If he has a solid rest of the season and playoff, and we like this guy, I wonder how much it'll take to re-sign him? You would think we could for less than what he's making now.

I'm no member of the Jason Williams fan club, but this trade makes no sense whatsoever.

Let's trade one smallish underperforming forward for.... another?!?

I hope this isn't the only deal the Wings make, 'cause this doesn't improve the team much!