• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

Wings acquire Kyle Calder in 3-way deal

Rate this topic

And I still think they're out of their skulls. Good young Dman and a pick for Willy? The same guy who's UFA at next season's end? I don't know what the hell is their problem.

Maybe you're just vastly underrating Jason Williams' worth. :P

In all seriousness, though, it's not like I'm pissed off with this deal. In fact, I like it even more than the Cory Cross deal at last year's deadline. But if all this move is supposed to be is a salary dump, I'm not a big fan of the timing of it.

And I still think they're out of their skulls. Good young Dman and a pick for Willy? The same guy who's UFA at next season's end? I don't know what the hell is their problem.

Good point...Who the hell is in charge there?

No wonder no fans go to the games there anymore.

Calder was fine back in his Chicago days. don't judge him by his Philly season.

give him a chance, guys. it can not be worse than it was with Williams on Lang's line. and hopefully it's gonna be better

Chicago seemed to think he was worth something, no? And they made the deal straight up. I'm certainly not suggesting Williams would help us land Bill Guerin, but packaged with a couple picks, why couldn't he be swapped for a tough fourth liner that would help this team?

This is exactly my point as well. Why not someone who adds some toughness and can hit at least? Thats a pretty healthy salary difference for yet another softy who adds none of that.

Calder was fine back in his Chicago days. don't judge him by his Philly season.

give him a chance, guys. it can not be worse than it was with Williams on Lang's line. and hopefully it's gonna be better

Williams was great last year....all this Willy-hate is crazy.

Edited by TheUltimateWingsFan

I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but what is Calder's contract situation? And Williams still has a year to run at $1.6million, no? Good deal, to get anything for Williams without giving up picks/prospects is a positive.

All in all I have accepted this trade in the last 20 minutes, but I am really confused by it if they are still in the hunt to acquire other players. I understand Williams as been a dissapointment and clashed with Babcockles when he was benched so I don't mind seeing J-Dub leave, bringing in Calder seems a tad bit confusing to me because he is 100% overpriced and will hurt the cap figure for this deadline. It helps for the Datsyuk re-signing though, and I am willing to give Calder the benefit of the doubt and hope he can perform like he did last season.

because our main concern as of now is (hopefully: was) total lack of production from second line. we can possibly live without additional toughness but won't survive a single playoff series with just one scoring line. which is in addtion rather simple to stop, at least judging by recent playoff trips.

the move is smart somehow

The only thing Kyle Calder brings to the second line is a new face. Who knows, though, maybe that will help. But I really don't think one can look at this deal and say that the Wings have really improved their secondary scoring.

I wonder if Cleary's injury prompted this move.

I didn't see anything about it on hockeyfights, but there's a photo of Calder fighting against Avery floating around his bio pages ;)

here

My first reaction (besides that he fights) was 'Wow, he actually looks pretty tall in that picture'.

Then I had to remember it was Avery he was standing next to. :D

So basically J.Willy flew to Chicago with the Wings but doesn't get to come back? So he's gonna be in a Hawks jersey tomorrow? I wonder if Willy even knows. Enter scene:

Babs: Ok boys let's go the visiting locker room is this way. Erm, not so fast WIlly.

Williams: Wait what do you mean?

Babs: This is your new home buddy. We'll send your stuff later.

...It's like being abandoned by your parents... :ph34r:

I didn't see anything about it on hockeyfights, but there's a photo of Calder fighting against Avery floating around his bio pages ;)

here

I can explain that one. Its a misprint, thats MIKE RICHARDS, not Kyle Calder.

I will now mock Jason Williams and the Chicago Blackhawks orginization mercilessly:

He is a quality individual who can add to our team offensively and can also play the point on the power play

Boy, you guys are in for a surprise.

I'm definitely excited about coming to Chicago.

Translation: How could this happen to me? I made my mistakes! Nowhere to run, but life goes on while I'm fading away! IPB Image

I'm happy to be going to a team that wants me and I'm looking forward to helping the Blackhawks

You never loved me! Well, that's not true, Jason... No! It is true! I'm going someplace far away where they'll appreciate me. :lol:

Just messin' with you, Jason. Best of luck, dude.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but what is Calder's contract situation? And Williams still has a year to run at $1.6million, no? Good deal, to get anything for Williams without giving up picks/prospects is a positive.

Calder is 2.95 million dollars this season so more of a cap hit to end the year than Willy, but he is a UFA at the end of the season, so unless he impresses he is gone and either Filpulla, Hudler, or a new acqusation fills Willy's spot on line 2 next year while the would be Willy money goes in Datsyuk's pocket...

part of why I am not to mad about the deal, ditch a slumping player for another one, who unlike the first you can abandon at seasons end if he doesnt show some flare...

not big on calder but again not a bad trade

The thread police here are funny.

"YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO NOT LIKE THINGS! SHUT-UP!"

Can't wait to see what happens when the "big" trade hits.

:lol:

It just gets tiring hear the same argument over and over, especially most of these people were saying they'd trade Willy for nothing.

That and the million new threads everyday..."Should I take a dump and risk missing a trade...or do I just s*** myself and get the garden hose out later?"

Williams was great last year....all this Willy-hate is crazy.

yep. I'm with you here. but a change of scenery can do him well. and Wings

definitely need some work alongside Lang which Willie was not bringing

recently. overall, this can benefit both Wings and Williams

Seriously, you have to be a moron to think this was a bad trade. Calder is a better player any day of the week, and he should also be rejuvenated coming here from those bottom-feeders.

And the contract aspect on top of that.

Edited by FinWing

It just gets tiring hear the same argument over and over, especially most of these people were saying they'd trade Willy for nothing.

That and the million new threads everyday..."Should I take a dump and risk missing a trade...or do I just s*** myself and get the garden hose out later?"

No worries man, it keeps me coming back!

Cheers!

esteef

From TSN:

Blackhawks' general manager Dale Tallon explained that the club was excited to get Williams, “we've been trying to acquire Jason Williams since last summer.â€Â

“He is a quality individual who can add to our team offensively and can also play the point on the power play. We feel with his speed and skill he is another piece of the puzzle as we continue to move forward in making our team better,†said Tallon.

Williams was also happy about the move, “I'm definitely excited about coming to Chicago.â€Â

“Any time you can be a part of an original six team it's special. Chicago is making strides in the right direction. I'm looking forward to coming to Chicago and in being a major factor on the team. I'm happy to be going to a team that wants me and I'm looking forward to helping the Blackhawks,†said Williams.

people that think the wings over did it tradeing willy for Calder might want to consider he's on a one year deal so if he sucks it wont really matter, and we get out of the Jwilly 2 year deal to free up money for this summer so i give it a thumbs up even though Calder would not have been on my list the front line talent is just comanding too much

Blackhawks' general manager Dale Tallon explained that the club was excited to get Williams, “we've been trying to acquire Jason Williams since last summer.â€Â

“He is a quality individual who can add to our team offensively and can also play the point on the power play. We feel with his speed and skill he is another piece of the puzzle as we continue to move forward in making our team better,†said Tallon.

:lol::crazy:

Good luck with that!