• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingsFANstuckintheSOUTH

Wings acquire Kyle Calder in 3-way deal

Rate this topic

Are you serious? You're talking about one player who plays for one of the best teams in the league, and another who plays for the worst. They practically have the same amount of points this season. Calder has more upside than Willy. This trade makes perfect sense. If Calder does work out, hooray! Because he can be a 20 goal scorer if you give him the right team, not Philly... The guy had 26 goals with Chicago last season. If Calder does not work out, you save 2 millionish on Williams contract for next season and put it toward getting Datsyuk signed or signing a sweet UFA.

This was by no means a major trade, but it was a very smart trade - Calder has more skill than Williams.

I agree with all that, plus Calder will skate and work in the corners. Williams is crappy on D, won't hit, won't get hit... I could go on, but why? He's GONE -- YEEHAW

Seems a little pricey to me @ 2.5 mil. That being said, this guy seems to get his nose dirty more often than Williams, which could prove to be a plus. Scouting report on tsn says he "has a propensity to step it up in key situations." I'm interested to see what he can do.

Edited by ShanTheMan14

Uh...I guess put me in the camp that doesn't understand this trade. Williams hasn't been producing much this year but he played well last year, and Calder's current stats are much worse. So, how is this an improvement?

Seems to be a lot of hate on here for Williams, and I'm not sure I understand why.

I see this comment all the time. Current stats don't mean jack. I'm happy Holland made a move. It's a change and we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

not sure if this has been covered yet but....

"Has scored eight goals over the last 28 games after scoring only one goal over his first 31 games of the season"

looks like he's headed in the right direction.

not sure if this has been covered yet but....

"Has scored eight goals over the last 28 games after scoring only one goal over his first 31 games of the season"

looks like he's headed in the right direction.

Wow. Umm... :blink:

Anyway, I actually kind of like this deal. Its a fairly risky one, but Holland, Stevie Y, Bowman, etc must have thought this dude could turn it around once on a decent team. Anyway, we don't lose anything since hes UFA this summer, and Chicago is stuck with Willy's contract. Haha, stupid blackhawks.

I like this deal.

His name sounds like a superhero / crimefighter:

(with a deep voice:)

Kyle Calder... on a mission to save mankind... from New Jersey winning the Stanley Cup.

:lol: right on!

I looked at his stats last night and I wasn't super impressed but he has been playing for a crap-tastic team. And, we won't have to look at J-Willy playing the point on the PP anymore so sounds like a decent deal to me.

Good: Williams is off the books and the point.

Bad: We aquired a rental like Williams.

Calder is a hefty -31 because Philly used him on the Penalty Kill all the time.. he has 2 SHG.

Edit: Spelling. Williams and Calder are spelled the same in my head.

Edited by NAVYWING

You don't get a minus while on the PK. He's -31 because he's one of the better defensive forwards on an abysmally bad team, which means he's out there against the opposing top lines while the blueline spearheaded by Hatcher and a goaltending tandem of Esche and Niittymaki were abused on a nightly basis.

Seems a little pricey to me @ 2.5 mil. That being said, this guy seems to get his nose dirty more often than Williams, which could prove to be a plus. Scouting report on tsn says he "has a propensity to step it up in key situations." I'm interested to see what he can do.

Paper says we only had to pick up 663,000 of that because its so late into the season

I just read through this 15 page thread.

I felt I had to comment. ANYONE that doesn't think this was a good deal is, simply put, a "casual" Wings fan. You obviously haven't seen many games on TV and haven't been following Williams play at all.

And, as mean as this sounds, you don't know alot about the game of hockey.

This was an good trade for Detroit.

And I am overjoyed to see Williams go.

Sorry for sounding like a dick.

I like this deal.

His name sounds like a superhero / crimefighter:

(with a deep voice:)

Kyle Calder... on a mission to save mankind... from New Jersey winning the Stanley Cup.

LMAO.

Btw, your sig is freaking HILARIOUS. I just busted out laughing in class!

Well we traded an undersized forward who's been struggling mightily this season due to laziness and bad luck for..... ANOTHER undersized forward who's been struggling mightily this season due to laziness and bad luck! I hope Kenny pursued all his options because I wonder if we could have done better (although perhaps this was all Williams could fetch); I mean even on Philly Calder was worst on the team in +/-. On the other hand he is more of a two-way forward, unlike Williams is a natural Winger and is willing to get his nose dirty (or so they say). Morever he was turned it around a bit:

Games 1-31 - 1 goal - 3 assists - (-23)

Games 32-59 - 8 goals - 9 assists - (-8)

From reading his bio he's fast, not physical but fairly responsible.... sounds like a smaller, more offensive version of Cleary.

God, you people are never happy, are you? "Williams sucks! He's horrible! Trade him for a bucket of pucks! For warm beer! For a bag of steaming seagull feces! Waive him! No hockey sense. Worthless on defense. Lazy. Can't skate. Can't shoot. Can't score. Worst player in the league." Start whole threads just to hate Williams. Kenny PLEASE PLEASE PLZ PLZ PLZZZZZZZZZZ do something!! Anything! Kenny sucks if he doesn't make a trade.

Now comes the possibility that Williams might be gone....not only that, but the possibility that Kenny exercised some creativity (i.e., three-team trade) to get it done, and improve on the offense, and half you people are bitching! Good Lord! Shut up!

:thumbup::thumbup::clap: couldn't agree more

Guest GordieSid&Ted

:thumbup::thumbup::clap: couldn't agree more

We get rid of a lackluster and unenthusiastic Jason Williams.

We get him off the power play.

We rid ourselves of his 2008 salary.

We get a natural left winger in Calder.

Calder is only 28 years old which is great since we usually pick up deadline guys well into their 30's it seems.

Calder has shown some bonafide scoring touch. 7 years in the league, he's scored 20+ 2 times and also 17 and 15 and these were with s***house Blackhawks teams.

Calder is a UFA after this year.

He's had the great misfortune this season of playing for the Blackhawks and Flyers this year. Let's keep that in mind.

This is a good move for alot of reasons.

It's not the move that probably puts us over the top but its a move that makes us better in more than one way.

If this is the only move we make i'll be dissapointed but this team is so far from what I think it needs to be a playoff winner that Guerin or any one player wasn't going to change the makeup of this team IMO.

I just read through this 15 page thread.

I felt I had to comment. ANYONE that doesn't think this was a good deal is, simply put, a "casual" Wings fan. You obviously haven't seen many games on TV and haven't been following Williams play at all.

And, as mean as this sounds, you don't know alot about the game of hockey.

This was an good trade for Detroit.

And I am overjoyed to see Williams go.

Sorry for sounding like a dick.

Somehow, anyone who aplogizes for 'sounding like a dick' sounds really insincere and really is a dick.

You actually sound like a patronizing little girl who gets her hockey from the net. And I dont need to apolgize for that.

Yep, I'm glad to see Williams go as I also want to see us improve immediately. I'm just not sure this will change much. Little more exicted by this than Cory Cross, but not by much. Looks to be a zero-sum gain on paper, but I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out on the ice.

You may beleive you know a lot about the game of hockey, but you know so little about the game of life......