In 18 Playoff games this season Pavel Datsyuk had:

Goals: 8

Assists: 8

+/-: +2

Penalty Mins: 8

PP Goals: 4

Game winning goals: 2

Shots: 66 (12.1%)

he was second in points for Detorit in the playoffs, after only Lidstrom (18 points), and fifth in the NHL for points in the playoffs I'll say he showed up! :thumbup:

Edit: that should say "Did he shake his no show in the Playoffs rep?"

Edited by Elshupacabra

the contract had a lot to do with it. He got the money and he needed to prove he was worth it.

was that really the case? I mean, how many people here would say the contract was to blame for his lack of effort if he didnt score so many points? I mean, I think him signing the contract was irrelevant. Datsyuk is a natural performer regardless, and the fact that he wasn't able to produce the last few playoffs was a fluke and nothing more. That same fluke was why the wings couldnt advance in the playoffs in past years as well. A fluke. nothing more, nothing less.

And above everything, he's actually breaking out of his humble shell and starting to show a little personality :D

Excellent, excellent post season... He'll be one of the top players in the league for years to come.

I think I may have been the top guy around here for giving Datsyuk a hard time about his playoff disappearences in the past. But I was really please with how he played. He hit, he worked for pucks, he did everything he could have.

In fact, outside of Lang, everyone on the team took their game to the next level and that only happens when your top players do the same. Dats led by example and many followed.

Pavel shook his Playoff rep this year 10 fold. I always knew what he was capable of doing, but we had a lot of people on the forums getting down on him and demanding trade. I ask all of you now do you still demand a trade???

I look forward to watching Pavel score many many more goals, Setting up many many more goals, and raising the cup, all while wearing a Wings jersey.

Thanks for a great season Pavel, see you in September.

I think he showed this year that he can show up in the playoffs. Looking back at the fact that we had some injuries and some of our top players coming off of injuries (Hank and Bertuzzi) I am glad we made it so far in the playoffs. This team was fun to watch and never gave up as evidenced by the 3rd period last night.

As for Pavel, I have to admit I got pumped up seeing him try to step his game up even higher last night as the clock was starting to become a factor....I am glad we have him locked into a long term deal and hope Hank will stay around for awhile once his current contract is up as well.......

I think he answered his critics this playoff season....

Way to go Pavel!!!

was that really the case? I mean, how many people here would say the contract was to blame for his lack of effort if he didnt score so many points? I mean, I think him signing the contract was irrelevant. Datsyuk is a natural performer regardless, and the fact that he wasn't able to produce the last few playoffs was a fluke and nothing more. That same fluke was why the wings couldnt advance in the playoffs in past years as well. A fluke. nothing more, nothing less.

I think the biggest factor was that this was his first year being 'The Guy'. In years past he was a guy. Behind guys like Sergie, Stevie, Shanny, and Hull, could you really expect him to do much? Lets not forget last year he was injured in the playoffs, and never really got it going.

And I think, if nothing else, the contract added to the Pav's motivating fire. There is no way it was irrelevant. The simple fact that the media was asking him about it makes it a factor. It was somthing he had to deal with. Whether it helped, or hurt, who knows, but it was a factor.

He definitely did better. He still needs to show up more often on the road. I can't complain about his performance this playoffs. He has to keep it up though. If he goes back and posts 4 points in 10 games next year and we're out in 2 rounds, it's all for naught. He's being paid like a superstar now. He needs to consistently play like it. This year was a nice stepping off point though.

-Tim

I think the biggest factor was that this was his first year being 'The Guy'. In years past he was a guy. Behind guys like Sergie, Stevie, Shanny, and Hull, could you really expect him to do much? Lets not forget last year he was injured in the playoffs, and never really got it going.

this is almost word for word what I said before the playoffs started... I knew he was going to be good in the playoffs. Great job Pav :clap::clap::clap:

(I dont mean to sound like i'm patting myself on the back)

Edited by Statiklullaby87

Whether he will consistently be one of the leaders of the playoffs for his 7-year deal will remain to be seen, but even though he wasn't the best on the road for the Wings, you can't ask much else out of him, especially after his really bad start to the season. 8 goals and just averaging under a point a game in 18 playoff games, when goals/points are usually harder to come by, is pretty impressive.

I don't care how great (or bad) of an athlete you might be in any sport, a 7-year deal is too long IMO for anybody. However, I expect to see a much more relaxed Datsyuk at least for next season, because he's financially set now and he is playing in the place/franchise he wants to play in (or so I am assuming).

Watching Datsyuk win back-to-back Lady Byng's at the NHL Awards tonight reminded me that I hadn't had my crow yet regarding my unwavering criticism of Pavel. While a few forwards had better stats, no offensive dynamo in the playoffs had tougher oppostion than Datsyuk. Consider the guys that tried to shut down Datsyuk and failed (or at best had mixed results):

Round 1: Kipper, Phaneuf and Regehr

Round 2: Nabokov, and Hannan

Round 3: Giguere, Neidermayer and Pronger

That's 3 elite goalies plus 5 of the top 6 shutdown D-men (Norris Nick not included) in the whole league, and Datsyuk gave each trio/pair all they could handle. When you consider in addition the fact that Detroit's two other big guns were not 100%, it's clear IMO from his performance during the 18 games of this year's playoffs that he deserved the superstar money that he received from Holland. Whether he'll still be worth $6.7 million a year in 6 or 7 years remains to be seen, but I'm sure glad that Datsyuk will be in a Detroit sweater this season.

Edited by Cruiser008

I LOVE IT, all season long hell for the past few years everyone tearing him apart, the very few (myself included ;) ) new what he could and would do, please tell me how many of you are now eating your words.