• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

AY 4 RL?

Rate this topic

Although bought out by the Isle's does anyone think that Yashin can still be an NHL force?

Would he be an upgrade on Lang? He's younger and slightly bigger with a better offensive

output, or would we be just swapping like for like? I would like us to go after a winger rather

than another centre, but with the cap issue's the likes of Ryan Smyth may be out of our price

range, whereas we could possably get Yashin at a cut of his previous sallary, may even get

him in for less than we are paying Lang? That's if we aren't re-signing Lang of course!

i can say with utmost confidence that 99% of the people on this board would vomit if we signed him. I however am not one of them. If he can be had for under a million it wouldn't be a bad move. Granted he would be our highest profile "cast-off" but we've done this kinda thing with Kris Draper. larry muprhy, dan cleary, samuelson, etc. etc. We seem to breed winners who other teams give away

Edited by theman19

Due to his terribly inconsistant play, I say no. However, this guy just got a massive pay out. So I will be really interested to see how much he does sign for. Obviously it wont be pocket change ... but money certainly 'might' not be his main focus.

the correct response to this question would be that, im unsure about the potential Yashin can still bring to the proper team in the NHL, but if the red wings decide that it is worth it to find out, I will not pass judgement until after I see how he performs on the ice. If he performs accordingly to his salary that Holland pays him, I will think its a great move. If not, i'll ***** for hours on end.

I cant oppose to signing Yashin for the fact that hes a center and nothing else, because for the right price, there is no need to shy away from players that management thinks will better the team just because we may have other players who also can play center. Proper shuffliing can always be made to better the team.

Guest Crymson

Although bought out by the Isle's does anyone think that Yashin can still be an NHL force?

Would he be an upgrade on Lang? He's younger and slightly bigger with a better offensive

output, or would we be just swapping like for like? I would like us to go after a winger rather

than another centre, but with the cap issue's the likes of Ryan Smyth may be out of our price

range, whereas we could possably get Yashin at a cut of his previous sallary, may even get

him in for less than we are paying Lang? That's if we aren't re-signing Lang of course!

Oh, goodness, no. Yashin suffers from the some laziness virus as does Lang. He's been constantly criticized throughout his career for lack of motivation.

No, we need neither dinosaurs nor leftovers. Dinosaurs are dinosaurs, while leftovers are leftovers for a reason: they suck.

Oh, goodness, no. Yashin suffers from the some laziness virus as does Lang. He's been constantly criticized throughout his career for lack of motivation.

No, we need neither dinosaurs nor leftovers. Dinosaurs are dinosaurs, while leftovers are leftovers for a reason: they suck.

as i stated in my post. Kris draper leftover, larry murphy leftover, Dan cleary leftover, samuelson leftover, are we sensing a trend here? most of our team is made up of guys that other teams thought couldn't make it. Granted yashin has had more chances than alot of players but looking down our roster its not like we've never done it before.

I've never been a fan of Yashin and hope the Wings stay away. He seems to have an ongoing attitude problem from what I've read. Plus in his last 15 NHL playoff games he has a whopping 5 points (four of those points came in 2003).

I say pass. Money is tight in the days of the salary cap and he isn't worth the space.

Edited by Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Even when Yashin isnt trying he still puts up better numbers than lang.

No thanks. No Heart , No work ethic.

Would be an absolute disgrace to the Red Wings.

This is what sets Yashin apart from Draper, Cleary, etc...

I wouldn't take the gamble on him.

This is what sets Yashin apart from Draper, Cleary, etc...

I wouldn't take the gamble on him.

Cleary's career didn't take off because he was unmotivated. He didn't become the king of hard work until he realised he was washed up, came to the Wings and turned his game around.

Now he's played an amazing season followed by an MVP playoff performance.

I'd hardly say Yashin's garbage, but he's not worth giving a big $ deal.

He needs the modesty that comes from being bought out and thrown away to make him realise the NHL isn't a floater-friendly league.

EDIT:

Let's make one thing clear though- I'm thinking he'd be worth aquiring at less then 2 million, one year. Anything above that and he's too much of a risk.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Guest Crymson

as i stated in my post. Kris draper leftover, larry murphy leftover, Dan cleary leftover, samuelson leftover, are we sensing a trend here? most of our team is made up of guys that other teams thought couldn't make it. Granted yashin has had more chances than alot of players but looking down our roster its not like we've never done it before.

Find me one player you've listed above who was bought out by his team for consistent laziness and failure to achieve.

Let me go through it, for kicks:

Draper: no production.

Murphy: he was already HoF-bound, so leave him out of this. Yashin has never been remotely as good as Murphy was.

Cleary: no production.

Samuelsson: no production.

Meanwhile, Yashin: huge contract, constantly berated for laziness, too-little production. And, as you said, he has had his chances and not taken them... MANY chances. The players you've listed? Not quite the same.

Sorry, no more Langs please.

Guest Crymson

Even when Yashin isnt trying he still puts up better numbers than lang.

Yashin

1999-00 Did Not Play Ind Statistics Unavailable

2000-01 Ottawa Senators NHL 82 40 48 88

2001-02 New York Islanders NHL 78 32 43 75

2002-03 New York Islanders NHL 81 26 39 65

2003-04 New York Islanders NHL 47 15 19 34

2005-06 New York Islanders NHL 82 28 38 66

2006-07 New York Islanders NHL 58 18 32 50

Lang

1999-00 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 78 23 42 65

2000-01 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 82 32 48 80

2001-02 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 62 18 32 50

2002-03 Washington Capitals NHL 82 22 47 69

2003-04 Washington Capitals NHL 63 29 45 74

2003-04 Detroit Red Wings NHL 6 1 4 5 0

2005-06 Detroit Red Wings NHL 72 20 42 62 72

2006-07 Detroit Red Wings NHL 81 19 33 52 66

You were saying?

Honestly, drop the s*** and know your stuff before you make know-it-all posts.

Everyone should note the big, fat "DID NOT PLAY" in '99-'00, which describes the season during which Yashin sat out in Switzerland because the Sens wouldn't re-negotiate his contract. Did Draper, Cleary, Samuelsson or Murphy ever do THAT? For that matter, did ANYONE who played for us besides the much-maligned Sergei do that?

Edited by Crymson

Funny, I thought it was Alexei Yashin for Robert Lang... as in, we ditch Lang and sign Yashin (which is what the starter of the thread said).

Answer: Ditch Lang and pick somebody else up.