• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TimeBinder

Wings sign Drake for 1-year, $550K

Rate this topic

At just over a half-million for the year, this is a great signing. Even if he ends up having nothing left, the cap hit is minimal and is well worth the risk.

One of the best points in all of this thread, I know others have said it, and I don't mean to credit just one person, but at 550k if he never skates for the wings, what loss is it.

If he plays like he did last year, he will be a great fit on this team.

And as numerous other posters have asked, why is it that this year he will not be able to hit. People on here have said he is too old to hit anymore. Why?? He hit last year, and the year before.

Also, I am OK with the talk of him laying a cheapshot on Pronger, as long as we are talking about him doing it in the same game or series. I don't want a guy running around taking cheapshots, however if someone takes liberties with one of the wings I want payback. I don't want toughness as in George Larouque, running around looking for a fight. I want a guy to stand up for a teammate, plaster some one into the boards if they are going to be cheap and try to hurt one the wings.

I know I am wasting my breath, because even if the wings signed Crosby and Ovechkin people on here would still ***** and say "Crosby is a whiner I don't want him in the wheel", or "Ovechkin can't hit and doesn't drop the gloves"!

Nature of the beast!!

I remember when the Cheveldae trade happened, I was ecstatic that they finally got rid of him. Then I found out that Dallas Drake was thrown into the deal and I was pissed. At the time, he was one of my favorite players on the team.

I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank, but this is a guy that leaves it all on the ice. He will work as hard as anyone else out there and will definately add some spunk to our line-up.

At just over a half-million for the year, this is a great signing. Even if he ends up having nothing left, the cap hit is minimal and is well worth the risk.

I thought the Cheveldae trade was generally bad when it happened. Drake for Bautin was a joke, but even Chevy for Essensa. The two goalies made the same amount, and Essensa never won a playoff series in his career. Osgood had already usurped the starter's job from Cheveldae, so how was giving away Drake supposed to improve our chances in the playoffs? Essensa blew so much in the first playoff game that he didn't start another contest for the Wings, EVER. I said it then I'll say it now; the two best players in that trade went to Winnipeg. That trade was so bad it cost Bryan Murray his job.

I thought the Cheveldae trade was generally bad when it happened. Drake for Bautin was a joke, but even Chevy for Essensa. The two goalies made the same amount, and Essensa never won a playoff series in his career. Osgood had already usurped the starter's job from Cheveldae, so how was giving away Drake supposed to improve our chances in the playoffs? Essensa blew so much in the first playoff game that he didn't start another contest for the Wings, EVER. I said it then I'll say it now; the two best players in that trade went to Winnipeg. That trade was so bad it cost Bryan Murray his job.

I wasn't so much happy about getting Essensa, I was happy to be getting rid of Cheveldae. I figured that Ozzy was pretty much our starter and that Essensa would simply give us a veteran back-up...if we had just gone with him that year instead of using Essensa at all we would have gotten past San Jose...everyone remembers Osgood crying at the end of that series and the turn-over that led to the final goal, but everyone forgets that Essensa lost 2 of the 4 and was absolutely horrible...Osgood would have won at least one of those 2 games.

Bautin was a non-factor, Essensa sucked, Cheveldae sucked too and was pretty much done after that anyways, so the only real player in the deal was Drake. I was very pissed that he was in the deal to begin with...

You know,...i read these all days,...and i just shake my head. Hockey is a brutal game, which takes a brutal type of player to play it. Gordie howe was famous for his elbow's too. He threw one a shift was how it went. Am i comparing Dallas Drake to Gordie howe? Not on your life! I am however saying just because a player hits another player up high everyonce in a while it doesn't make him Jordin TooToo. ... .I am however saying just because a player hits another player up high everyonce in a while it doesn't make him Marty Mcsourly.

How exactly is Drake 'not' Tootoo - as in better, as you've implied? I'd love to hear that one.

Also, the fact that you think Drake addresses a toughness need to begin with makes your name calling look even more foolish.

:thumbup:

Drake, family thrilled about second stint with Wings.

Good to hear!

Drake admits that he's not the "top-six" forward the Wings are coveting:

"I know they weren't looking for a highly-skilled guy when they went after me," Drake said with a laugh. "I think they know what they were getting. I'm a guy who's played the same way his whole career. I thrive on playing physical. That's the only way I can play and have any type of success. I try to play solid defensively and chip in a few goals."

Not to derail this thread back to its purpose, but I actually have a question about Drake.

I've read he got 1.1M and then this thread says 550K.

Which is it?

The Blues bought him out meaning they are going to pay half of his salary. The Wings the other half.

Agreed. That trade was bad on so many levels.

Like Vladinator said: Osgood basically stripped the starting job from Cheveldae. I don't know how that was not good enough for Murray. Dumping Cheveldae was a plus, but Essensa was even worse. He didn't once play a truly good game for the Wings.

The worst part of that deal was giving up Drake, especially for Bautin. Bautin was, in some cases, even worse then Essensa (ok, maybe not that bad, but you know what I mean). I can understand why they made the trade: Bautin, at the time, was an up and coming prospect. He was big, and had scoring potential. But he only played 1 game for the Wings, the day after they got him. After that, he was toast. I hated that part of the deal so much.

In short, I'll bet that was what truly costed Bryan Murray his job. While Cheveldae was no huge loss, the Wings gave up Drake way too easily, especially considering he was putting up some decent points in his rookie season. Bautin played one season with Winnipeg before, and in his rookie season, had less points than Drake did. Receiving Essensa was the worst part though, since he cost us every playoff game he played in. He was purely awful.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Aye! hearing that past trade discussions just brings back horrible memories... sitting in my living room and finding that out on the news.... yikes!

Bloody hell it is good that he is now back on the team where it all started!

Man, you couldn't have picked a worse example of that kind of player than Georges Laraque. Just sayin'.

True but you still get the point I was trying to make, he has toughness the ability to fight, but can not play defense or offense he was just a fighter, imo, a waste of a roster spot.

Why fight if you're playing for Detroit? But it doesn't matter as he won't last longer than a month or so before it's discovered he's completely useless on our roster as was Norton.

:blink: Wow, you're pretty upbeat about this signing eh norrisnick?

What planet are you from? I keep reading these ridiculous posts of yours. Franzen is a bigger hitter? Please. So Drake's only had 1 fight in awhile, whoop dee doo. He isn't exactly known for dropping the mits just to do it. He's not an enforcer you know? Most of Drake's fights eminate from him plastering somebody or him getting himself drilled. He doesn't fight much but he absolutely will if he has to and frankly, he's the most willing combatant the Wings have in their lineup now.

You'll be eating crow in a few months, that much I'll bank on.

Ville Niemenen? What hockey have you been watching. If this is a debate about toughness its laughable. Ville having as many fights is another example of how people get careless with statitstics. Ville is one of the biggest ******* the NHL has seen in a long, long time. Worse than Maltby. A pure hit and run guy. Let them drop the mits and Drake would probably put Ville in a coma. I can't believe you'd want a disgusting, rat puke like Vile to defile the Wings jersey.

Yeah, those hands of cement of his have him scoring nearly 500 career NHL points and more goals and points than Holmstrom, Maltby and Draper. Rock and roll, dude.

Yeah, but he also played on some terrible Blues teams whose best players kept getting traded off. If given the right linem mates and because of his tenacity and wililngness to crash the crease I wouldn't be surprised to see Drake score 10 goals or even have more goals than Draper this season. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Not yours. Yes, Franzen is a bigger hitter. And he doesn't have to jump or lift his flippers to do so. I brought up the one fight issue because a bunch of grit groupies started spouting off about Drake standing up for his teammates. Which is 100% pure unadulterated bulls***. He might have to stand up for himself, but he hasn't, doesn't, and won't stand up for his team.

There will be some crow to be had in the fall, but I'm banking on it being you and your ilk. Drake scrubbed out of St. Louis. St. ******* Louis. The best we can hope for is that his impact isn't too negative before his icetime disappears as it almost certainly won't be positive. There might be a handful of games that he's playing on adrenaline to show his worth, but he won't last.

Ville Nieminen. And no this isn't a debate about toughness but a debate about hockey players. And how in the hell is Nieminen any more of a hit and run guy than Drake? He's only fought once in two years so either he's not doing his job (hitting and stirring his s*** up) or he's tucking tail and running after the fact. IMO, it's a bit of both.

Why are people bring up Drake's career stats? Like I said earlier in the thread, there comes a point when career stats don't mean anything anymore. Being bought out by the Blues at the age of 38 is that point.

Scoring more goals than Draper is no great achievement. At the very least Draper can play defense. Drake not so much anymore.

:blink: Wow, you're pretty upbeat about this signing eh norrisnick?

Should I be? I can understand the type of player Holland was looking for, but to sign a broken down old man to fill the role? It's just stupid. It's like signing Woolley when Fisch went down. In the end Mammoth was in his suit while Lebda played.

Not every hockey player is great at everything, therefore different teams have different needs. Detroit needed a gritty guy. They do not need a fighter. The blues, I am guessing, needed cap room, wanted to get younger, wanted to move on, but who knows what the blues want or are doing, are they even sure.(Tkachuk)

And the league is moving away from fighting, hence the instigator rule (which I hate).

Ken Holland will never use a spot on a guy who is a fighter, because he will want a player who can fight.

When I for one, talk about standing up for a teammate I don't necessarily mean fighting.

I would have loved to have Dallas Drake (or Ville) take a run at Pronger after that hit on Homer.

Dallas Drake is a tough player, who will dish out some vicious hits. When was the last time you could say that about a player in the winged wheel.

And if the guy Drake hits or his teammate want to go after him, then he will fight.

However, if he skates down the ice and picks a fight with the guy who just crunched a wing, guess what he is gone for 2 min instigator, 5 min fighting and a 10 minute misconduct. Do you really want a guy doing that?

And to say that Drake can't play D is a bold statement, he was -13. But as has been pointed out, on the St. Louis ******* Blues, Lids would struggle to have a plus on that team.

As I have said in other posts and threads he will be a good FIT, not a great player, or an impact player, but a good fit.

Not yours. Yes, Franzen is a bigger hitter. And he doesn't have to jump or lift his flippers to do so. I brought up the one fight issue because a bunch of grit groupies started spouting off about Drake standing up for his teammates. Which is 100% pure unadulterated bulls***. He might have to stand up for himself, but he hasn't, doesn't, and won't stand up for his team.

There will be some crow to be had in the fall, but I'm banking on it being you and your ilk. Drake scrubbed out of St. Louis. St. ******* Louis. The best we can hope for is that his impact isn't too negative before his icetime disappears as it almost certainly won't be positive. There might be a handful of games that he's playing on adrenaline to show his worth, but he won't last.

Ville Nieminen. And no this isn't a debate about toughness but a debate about hockey players. And how in the hell is Nieminen any more of a hit and run guy than Drake? He's only fought once in two years so either he's not doing his job (hitting and stirring his s*** up) or he's tucking tail and running after the fact. IMO, it's a bit of both.

Why are people bring up Drake's career stats? Like I said earlier in the thread, there comes a point when career stats don't mean anything anymore. Being bought out by the Blues at the age of 38 is that point.

Scoring more goals than Draper is no great achievement. At the very least Draper can play defense. Drake not so much anymore.

Should I be? I can understand the type of player Holland was looking for, but to sign a broken down old man to fill the role? It's just stupid. It's like signing Woolley when Fisch went down. In the end Mammoth was in his suit while Lebda played.

Couldn't have said it any better myself :clap:

Not every hockey player is great at everything, therefore different teams have different needs. Detroit needed a gritty guy. They do not need a fighter. The blues, I am guessing, needed cap room, wanted to get younger, wanted to move on, but who knows what the blues want or are doing, are they even sure.(Tkachuk)

Drake is barely good at hitting these days. Word from a lot of Blues' fans is he's really losing his game of late and had he not been the captain likely should have been scratched much of the season. And shouldn't the Wings be trying to get better, younger, etc...? If he's not good enough for the Blues to hang on to I'm hard pressed to understand why the Wings would need him. Sure he's cheap, but even at $550K, he's $100K overpaid and that's only because there's a league mandated minimum.

And the league is moving away from fighting, hence the instigator rule (which I hate).

Ken Holland will never use a spot on a guy who is a fighter, because he will want a player who can fight.

When I for one, talk about standing up for a teammate I don't necessarily mean fighting.

I would have loved to have Dallas Drake (or Ville) take a run at Pronger after that hit on Homer.

Dallas Drake is a tough player, who will dish out some vicious hits. When was the last time you could say that about a player in the winged wheel.

And if the guy Drake hits or his teammate want to go after him, then he will fight.

However, if he skates down the ice and picks a fight with the guy who just crunched a wing, guess what he is gone for 2 min instigator, 5 min fighting and a 10 minute misconduct. Do you really want a guy doing that?

I'm not against Drake because he isn't a fighter. I'm merely pointing out to some misguided proponents of this signing that he isn't. Simple enough. And really what difference is 2+5+10 from 5+10 for when he takes someone out with his elbow? Either one is stupid.

And to say that Drake can't play D is a bold statement, he was -13. But as has been pointed out, on the St. Louis ******* Blues, Lids would struggle to have a plus on that team.

Again, this is from many a Blues fan. And Drake's -14 was the 2nd worst on the team ahead of only Mayers. Barret Jackman was a +20, Nick would be fine.

As I have said in other posts and threads he will be a good FIT, not a great player, or an impact player, but a good fit.

As is probably painfully obvious I don't share your optimism.

Franzen is not a bigger hitter. I love him, and think he's great, but he's not up to Drake's level as far as physicality and hits come. *Not yet at least*

There's no need to be rude or insulting because a lot of us on here are happy about the deal. Calling us 'grit groupies' my goodness..what is with some of you lately? Everyone has their own opinion.

As far as the whole Blues situation. Who cares? Their garbage might be our treasure. I'm sure coming back to the Wings will spark the guy, and rejuvenate him a bit.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

Franzen is not a bigger hitter. I love him, and think he's great, but he's not up to Drake's level as far as physicality and hits come. *Not yet at least*

There's no need to be rude or insulting because a lot of us on here are happy about the deal. Calling us 'grit groupies' my goodness..what is with some of you lately? Everyone has their own opinion.

As far as the whole Blues situation. Who cares? Their garbage might be our treasure. I'm sure coming back to the Wings will spark the guy, and rejuvenate him a bit.

Yes he is, mostly because he can do so legally. I don't really care how well Drake can charge people.

That's hardly rude. The Barnes Bros take it as a term of endearment. ;)

I know you like the guy, but how can you honestly believe Drake will be anything remotely close to a treasure? This isn't Osgood being let go in his prime because Pleau couldn't distinguish an effective goaltender from a hole in the ground. This is a 38yo high energy, high impact player that just doesn't have anything left after a lifetime of skating around like his hair was on fire. I mean look at Maltby and McCarty. They're not half the players they were back in '02 and even in '02 they weren't nearly as good as they were back in the late 90s. These guys usually don't age very well and Drake has played far more recklessly for far longer. He might play well for a week or two, but adrenaline and playing on emotion can only carry you so far.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Take a poll of NHL players or NHL fans in the know and ask them who they think is a tougher player and who they think would be wililng to fight if need be, Drake or Niemenen. I bet you dollars to doughnuts that 90% or better think Niemenen is a coward that hides behind a shield.

Yes he is, mostly because he can do so legally. I don't really care how well Drake can charge people.

That's hardly rude. The Barnes Bros take it as a term of endearment. ;)

I know you like the guy, but how can you honestly believe Drake will be anything remotely close to a treasure? This isn't Osgood being let go in his prime because Pleau couldn't distinguish an effective goaltender from a hole in the ground. This is a 38yo high energy, high impact player that just doesn't have anything left after a lifetime of skating around like his hair was on fire. I mean look at Maltby and McCarty. They're not half the players they were back in '02 and even in '02 they weren't nearly as good as they were back in the late 90s. These guys usually don't age very well and Drake has played far more recklessly for far longer. He might play well for a week or two, but adrenaline and playing on emotion can only carry you so far.

Well, maybe playing for team that has a great shot of winning every night and going deep in the playoffs might be enough to make somebody feel better about going to the rink everyday and playing hard instead of getting up knowing you have to suit up for the Blues?

I don't by any means think Drake is the second coming. However, I stick by my statements that I won't be surprised if he bags 10 goals this year. I also stick by statements such that Drake is an impact hitter. He's been suspended before, true. But he's also laid out a s***load of people and not been suspended or penalized so don't act like all he does is take bad charging and elbowing calls. The difference between Franzen and Drake or Drake and 95% of NHLers is Drake can be an impact hitter like Mike Peca or Darcy Tucker. Franzen is good at finishing his checks and rubbing people out but nobody worries about getting rocked by Franzen just like they don't worry about Flip rocking them even though they know he'll finish his check. Drake has the ability to hit through people and really ring bells. That's a talent alot of NHLers (LIKE FRANZEN) don't have. Maybe mule will get there but he isn't the impact hitter that Drake can be.

We can piss and moan about this all day long but until they play it won't be decided. I tell you what though, i'm wililng to rehash this argument after the season starts. I'm willing to bet that if there are scrums, fights or other altercations or big hits against Wings players that if anybody does anything, steps up, fights or at least instigates a scrum, Drake will be right there as a part of it. And ole Vile Niemenen will be stuck in another country, having drifted from more teams than years played in the league for obvious reasons. What obvious reason you ask? That coaches don't like players who play physical, hit from behind, hit dangerously and do it all with a visor and refuse to throw down when the bell rings. Niemenen is a puss of the highest order. So Drake has had only 1 fight in awhile. He's had quite a few in his career. If Drake isn't tough, then Niemenen doesn't even register on the toughness scale. s***, Sami Kapanen is tougher than Vile.

Take a poll of NHL players or NHL fans in the know and ask them who they think is a tougher player and who they think would be wililng to fight if need be, Drake or Niemenen. I bet you dollars to doughnuts that 90% or better think Niemenen is a coward that hides behind a shield.

Well, maybe playing for team that has a great shot of winning every night and going deep in the playoffs might be enough to make somebody feel better about going to the rink everyday and playing hard instead of getting up knowing you have to suit up for the Blues?

I don't by any means think Drake is the second coming. However, I stick by my statements that I won't be surprised if he bags 10 goals this year. I also stick by statements such that Drake is an impact hitter. He's been suspended before, true. But he's also laid out a s***load of people and not been suspended or penalized so don't act like all he does is take bad charging and elbowing calls. The difference between Franzen and Drake or Drake and 95% of NHLers is Drake can be an impact hitter like Mike Peca or Darcy Tucker. Franzen is good at finishing his checks and rubbing people out but nobody worries about getting rocked by Franzen just like they don't worry about Flip rocking them even though they know he'll finish his check. Drake has the ability to hit through people and really ring bells. That's a talent alot of NHLers (LIKE FRANZEN) don't have. Maybe mule will get there but he isn't the impact hitter that Drake can be.

We can piss and moan about this all day long but until they play it won't be decided. I tell you what though, i'm wililng to rehash this argument after the season starts. I'm willing to bet that if there are scrums, fights or other altercations or big hits against Wings players that if anybody does anything, steps up, fights or at least instigates a scrum, Drake will be right there as a part of it. And ole Vile Niemenen will be stuck in another country, having drifted from more teams than years played in the league for obvious reasons. What obvious reason you ask? That coaches don't like players who play physical, hit from behind, hit dangerously and do it all with a visor and refuse to throw down when the bell rings. Niemenen is a puss of the highest order. So Drake has had only 1 fight in awhile. He's had quite a few in his career. If Drake isn't tough, then Niemenen doesn't even register on the toughness scale. s***, Sami Kapanen is tougher than Vile.

Great, so Drake is a guy that gave up on the team he wore the C for. Very compelling argument... ;)

You can not make an argument that Ville was run out of the league for not manning up to his actions and make some claim that Drake is any better. The only difference between their style of physicality (apart from Ville being quicker and bigger) is that Nieminen grins like a madman when he does it. So unless you're going to argue that Drake hasn't been running people, taking VERY questionable hits, and so forth why is it that he hasn't been forced to man up? Why hasn't he been backing up his physical play? Either he tucks tail and runs like Ville, or he's not as physical anymore. You pick. Because Ville will scrum and facewash with the best of 'em. He just doesn't throw down. Neither does Dallas of late.

We get it. You don't like Dallas. Its all good.

Instead of arguing how good this person would be and how bad this guy is going to be, why don't you just drop the argument until the season starts? Beating people over the head with your hatred of the Drake signing is getting almost as bad as Draperfan's hatred of Bertuzzi.