• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TimeBinder

Wings sign Drake for 1-year, $550K

Rate this topic

You know,...i read these all days,...and i just shake my head. Hockey is a brutal game, which takes a brutal type of player to play it. Gordie howe was famous for his elbow's too. He threw one a shift was how it went. Am i comparing Dallas Drake to Gordie howe? Not on your life! I am however saying just because a player hits another player up high everyonce in a while it doesn't make him Jordin TooToo.

I don't have a problem with brutal physical play. I have a problem with being excited about cheap shots and wishing we could cheap-shot another player right out of the game.

Idiots.

Good buy. Especially if he sticks up for Dom when Corey Perry knocks him over and the puck goes over the line, and the rest of the team just stands there.

Idiots.

Good buy. Especially if he sticks up for Dom when Corey Perry knocks him over and the puck goes over the line, and the rest of the team just stands there.

What about his ONE fight since the lockout makes you believe he'll stick up for anyone? He's far more likely to run Dom than to protect him (old habits die hard).

Solid move by Kenny at a minimal financial rate too. Anyone who was praying for some grit and toughness on our team and still complains about this move is a FREAKIN' IDIOT.... sorry to call names and all, but geeze, some of you people that are complaining need to stop NOW! Good move Kenny!

Hardly. For anybody like myself thats been complaining they want someone who fights, that complaint still hasnt been addressed. So yep..i think i'll keep bitching about it.

Why half-ass a prediction? Did you know Hudler will score 30+ goals this season and that Z will net 50G/100P this season? I do.

Hey, you might be being sarcastic, but I honestly think Huds WILL hit 30+ if he's given 12-15 mins every night. That requires no more forwards being picked up, but hey- I'm actually excited to see the kids play real minutes for once in Wings history. ;)

Great signing for the cash IMHO. Drake has always been one of those players that is thorn in the side of the Wings when ever we played against. As said, with the talent we have on this team, Drake could have a really good last year in his career.

Yashin would be a bargain. At $50,000/year.

Pfft. Don't be a jerk. I'd give him a 2 year contract worth $850,000 in total. :rolleyes:

Also, the fact that you think Drake addresses a toughness need to begin with makes your name calling look even more foolish.

Ouch Lou. I thought we were really getting along. :unsure: I'm kinda tough :blush:

Espicially in goalies heads too. When hes not running them over every shift :lol:

I would love Niemenen on this team , but it'd have to be at the expense of Samuleson. Trade or waive him and sign Niemenen for cheap. Thats if Ville even wants to play in the NHL still. (Which Im sure he does)

Oh please baby Jesus, please get rid of Sammy for Ville. At least I want to see one of them in the winged wheel.

What about his ONE fight since the lockout makes you believe he'll stick up for anyone? He's far more likely to run Dom than to protect him (old habits die hard).

But be honest Nick- We'd pay a minor league kid that much to fill a fourth line roll all year, no? I really see $550,000 as such a minimal risk it'd be silly not to try it out if he could be a big open ice hitter like Holland obviously thinks he still can be (he sure as hell didn't hire him to shore up the second line).

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Also, the fact that you think Drake addresses a toughness need to begin with makes your name calling look even more foolish.

He addresses it in a way that the Wings finally get someone who is going to check people. Just because he doesn't fight as much as he used to doesn't make him any less tough.

You know that I feel the same way that you do: I want the Wings to have a fighter also. But at the same time, I really don't feel the Drake signing was bad. I like it, in fact. I've always been a fan of Dallas Drake, for the way he crushes people out on the open ice. His hitting is really valuable.

Hardly. For anybody like myself thats been complaining they want someone who fights, that complaint still hasnt been addressed. So yep..i think i'll keep bitching about it.

Who gives a rats ass about fighting.... why? Does it really help us win games? Did we lose against Anaheim for our lack of fighting? We got a gritty forward, who is 38... whoopty freakin' doo. Chelios is 45.... Hasek is 42.... Do I hear you bitching and moaning about them? Nope. Let's just think about this, we got a tough, gritty player who will play on the third or fourth line, and we did so paying him 550k. Hardly breaking the bank I say and still leaving us enough room to sign a decent 2nd line forward if possible. Our team is just as good as it was last season and we could have beaten Anaheim had we had 2 of our defensemen not injured. Getting Drake was necessary to address a need that everyone has been whining about. The only problem is that it's not good enough for those Wings fans who just seem to be locked in the non-cap era still. Get your heads out of your asses already.

He addresses it in a way that the Wings finally get someone who is going to check people. Just because he doesn't fight as much as he used to doesn't make him any less tough.

You know that I feel the same way that you do: I want the Wings to have a fighter also. But at the same time, I really don't feel the Drake signing was bad. I like it, in fact. I've always been a fan of Dallas Drake, for the way he crushes people out on the open ice. His hitting is really valuable.

Thank you, a logical entry into this thread from someone who is level-minded. I completely agree with what you are saying and that is what I was trying to explain earlier when good ol' Lou decided that fighting these days wins hockey games.... what year is it again? For a bit there I thought I was in a time warp.

There comes a point when career achievements don't matter. And being bought out by the Blues at 38 is pretty much that point.

You really know how to hurt a guy.

Seriously though - correct me if I'm wrong (one ata time please?) - was it Drake that would routinely injure fellow Red Wings during practices back inda day? Maybe I'm thinking of Burr. Seems like years and years and years ago I guess.

aloha

I cant understand why people would think signing "Double D" is anything but good.

He could have been huge for us against Anaheim, knocking their D all over.

Getting the crowd going at the Joe, getting Maltby back into what he does best.

Laying the wood and charging this team up.

Alot like D Mac except better and more consistent.

Who gives a rats ass about fighting.... why? Does it really help us win games? Did we lose against Anaheim for our lack of fighting? fighting these days wins hockey games.... what year is it again? For a bit there I thought I was in a time warp.

Ok, regardless if fighting would help us win more games or not it is always going to be a part of hockey and some fans (myself included) feel almost embarrassed when our players don't stick up for themselves or team mates.. some people can argue that sticking up for each other will build team chemistry and respect and some people just feel the need for it because it's the macho thing to do, this is hockey, macho is good, right? I'm not trying to fire up a debate or anything I'm just filling you in on why a lot of hockey fans feel that it is absolutely necessary to dress a regular fighter every game.

Anyways, about the signing of Dallas Drake... I am trying to get myself pumped up for it but I'm having a bit of trouble... just a heads up, this is not another Dan Cleary... Drake is like 10 years older than Cleary... I've always liked Drake and a couple years ago he would have been a great addition to fill this role but I can't really buy into a guy who's skills are decaying and he is very, very slow... His hitting ability is the only thing that can possibly save him, otherwise he is just another logjam on the roster. We DID get him cheap however, so I'll give him the benefit of a doubt... I really hope he can motivate himself and his game and stick around for a solid year or two before retiring

I honeslty, don't think it was a bad signing. I know a lot of you are saying he has very poor offensive skills, but he's coming into a puck possession team. Hopefully, just by playing with some of our guys he will be able to produce the numbers that we need and be able to through his body around while he does it.

Pretty good signing. :)

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Apart from flying elbows, Dallas isn't feared. Franzen is a heavier hitter than Drake is.

What planet are you from? I keep reading these ridiculous posts of yours. Franzen is a bigger hitter? Please. So Drake's only had 1 fight in awhile, whoop dee doo. He isn't exactly known for dropping the mits just to do it. He's not an enforcer you know? Most of Drake's fights eminate from him plastering somebody or him getting himself drilled. He doesn't fight much but he absolutely will if he has to and frankly, he's the most willing combatant the Wings have in their lineup now.

You'll be eating crow in a few months, that much I'll bank on.

Ville Niemenen? What hockey have you been watching. If this is a debate about toughness its laughable. Ville having as many fights is another example of how people get careless with statitstics. Ville is one of the biggest ******* the NHL has seen in a long, long time. Worse than Maltby. A pure hit and run guy. Let them drop the mits and Drake would probably put Ville in a coma. I can't believe you'd want a disgusting, rat puke like Vile to defile the Wings jersey.

ten years ago Awesome! This year. PUKE!!!!!!!!

Too old, to slow, to dumb, hands of cement, what more can you say? Two minutes in the box for obstruction.

Yeah, those hands of cement of his have him scoring nearly 500 career NHL points and more goals and points than Holmstrom, Maltby and Draper. Rock and roll, dude.

Ok, regardless if fighting would help us win more games or not it is always going to be a part of hockey and some fans (myself included) feel almost embarrassed when our players don't stick up for themselves or team mates.. some people can argue that sticking up for each other will build team chemistry and respect and some people just feel the need for it because it's the macho thing to do, this is hockey, macho is good, right? I'm not trying to fire up a debate or anything I'm just filling you in on why a lot of hockey fans feel that it is absolutely necessary to dress a regular fighter every game.

Anyways, about the signing of Dallas Drake... I am trying to get myself pumped up for it but I'm having a bit of trouble... just a heads up, this is not another Dan Cleary... Drake is like 10 years older than Cleary... I've always liked Drake and a couple years ago he would have been a great addition to fill this role but I can't really buy into a guy who's skills are decaying and he is very, very slow... His hitting ability is the only thing that can possibly save him, otherwise he is just another logjam on the roster. We DID get him cheap however, so I'll give him the benefit of a doubt... I really hope he can motivate himself and his game and stick around for a solid year or two before retiring

Yeah, but he also played on some terrible Blues teams whose best players kept getting traded off. If given the right linem mates and because of his tenacity and wililngness to crash the crease I wouldn't be surprised to see Drake score 10 goals or even have more goals than Draper this season. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I have wanted Drake back in the lineup for 14 years. He's not as good as he was 5 years ago, but I would rather him than Maltby or Samuelsson.I expect Hudler and Kopecky to start off taking turns in the lineup, and then one of Drake, Maltby, or Sammy will play himself out of a regular spot. It's a pretty good predicament to be in--and guys like that will play harder knowing that they have to do so to keep playing.

Ideally, Sammy is out, Hudler scores 30 with Hank or Z, and our fourth line is a monster checking/defensive line of Maltby/Drake/Franzen...

I remember when the Cheveldae trade happened, I was ecstatic that they finally got rid of him. Then I found out that Dallas Drake was thrown into the deal and I was pissed. At the time, he was one of my favorite players on the team.

I'm not sure how much he has left in the tank, but this is a guy that leaves it all on the ice. He will work as hard as anyone else out there and will definately add some spunk to our line-up.

At just over a half-million for the year, this is a great signing. Even if he ends up having nothing left, the cap hit is minimal and is well worth the risk.

What planet are you from? I keep reading these ridiculous posts of yours. Franzen is a bigger hitter? Please. So Drake's only had 1 fight in awhile, whoop dee doo. He isn't exactly known for dropping the mits just to do it. He's not an enforcer you know? Most of Drake's fights eminate from him plastering somebody or him getting himself drilled. He doesn't fight much but he absolutely will if he has to and frankly, he's the most willing combatant the Wings have in their lineup now.

You'll be eating crow in a few months, that much I'll bank on.

Ville Niemenen? What hockey have you been watching. If this is a debate about toughness its laughable. Ville having as many fights is another example of how people get careless with statitstics. Ville is one of the biggest ******* the NHL has seen in a long, long time. Worse than Maltby. A pure hit and run guy. Let them drop the mits and Drake would probably put Ville in a coma. I can't believe you'd want a disgusting, rat puke like Vile to defile the Wings jersey.

:clap: