• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Agalloch

Grigorenko re-assigned, opts for Russia

Rate this topic

Guest wingswillwincup

i just read that article , thats good news why give up him , we got nothing to lose , hopefully he'll wise up and show up in shape , hes got the skills we know that ..... heres the article ...

"He's got the right by Nov. 1 to go to Russia," general manager Ken Holland said. "He wants to be in the NHL."

Grigorenko came into training camp out of shape and never impressed in three weeks in Grand Rapids, with no points in five games. The Wings haven't given up on him, though. Holland said he plans to retain Grigorenko's rights next season by giving him a qualifying offer.

He hopes Grigorenko comes back to training camp next season in better shape and said he needs to work on his quickness.

"He would like to be a Red Wing," Holland said. "We've told him we're going to watch him all winter. He now knows what the NHL is all about.

"I think if he gets in better shape and gets a quick step ... he's got hands, he's got hockey sense. But he's got to give himself a chance to play to his strengths. If you can't get to the puck ... "

Holland said he hopes Grigorenko is selected to play for Russia in the World Championships.

Pavel Datsyuk, serving as a translator for Grigorenko, who does not speak English, said Grigorenko wasn't angry about the turn of events. Datsyuk said Grigorenko didn't want to return to Grand Rapids because he thought he would play more in Russia and "now he knows" what is expected.

Does Grigorenko intend to return for training camp next season?

"Him dream of come back," Datsyuk said. "He work more harder and try to come back and make the team next year."

So, the Wings just let a highly talented but apparently soft European go, because a couple of gritty characters earned their way onto the team instead. Can we put to rest some of the complaints that the team lacks "toughness"?

I hope you're describing his belly.

The only times Igor has gotten on the statsheets over here were for a fight, rough, goalie interference, and unsportsmanlike conduct (in the pushing shoving leading up to his fight). Grigorenko was slow, but not soft.

I hope you're describing his belly.

The only times Igor has gotten on the statsheets over here were for a fight, rough, goalie interference, and unsportsmanlike conduct (in the pushing shoving leading up to his fight). Grigorenko was slow, but not soft.

If the reports are true that he came into camp out of shape to play hockey and wasn't willing to work as hard as it took to make the roster, that's softness, regardless of PIM racked up.

If the reports are true that he came into camp out of shape to play hockey and wasn't willing to work as hard as it took to make the roster, that's softness, regardless of PIM racked up.

Judging by the comments from Holland and Datsyuk...perhaps he wants to go back to Russia so he has a greater opportunity to work on things like conditioning? Anyone who makes a judgement about whether Grigs is lazy or not based on him not making the team this year, or on him not getting into top shape in a couple weeks, is jumping the gun.

Holland: "We've told him we're going to watch him all winter. He now knows what the NHL is all about."

To say the least, that line is depressing and you have to wonder what Kenny's expression was when he had to voice it.

I'm surprised and glad that they think he's worth a second chance though. As bad as this has all been, the fact that they are willing to try again means that there's -something- there worth trying to dig out after the mindblowing shape that Grigs came over the pond in. That, or that Kenny and Scotty and all the rest are chumps.

But I think they know what they're doing.

Grigorenko could return to the Red Wings next season. He will become a restricted free agent this summer. After Friday's game both sides expressed interest in trying again next fall. But will Grigorenko be any better or better prepared? If a player needs a dry run to make an NHL team, perhaps it's never going to happen

He'll be back.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The fact that this guy is walking, let alone playing professional hockey is a sign of his heart, endurance, and determination. Did he deserve a roster spot? No, not this year. But I also highly doubt he understood what was expected of him at training camp. After all, training camp is a decieving name, since it implies that one could show up out of top form to train for the coming season. And now he knows what is expected of him, so next training camp will really be a true sign of his character.

Whatever the reason may be, Grigs didn't work out this season. So be it, but to unload all this critisism on a guy, I hardly see the reason. A bum? Really?...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The fact that this guy is walking, let alone playing professional hockey is a sign of his heart, endurance, and determination. Did he deserve a roster spot? No, not this year. But I also highly doubt he understood what was expected of him at training camp. After all, training camp is a decieving name, since it implies that one could show up out of top form to train for the coming season. And now he knows what is expected of him, so next training camp will really be a true sign of his character.

Whatever the reason may be, Grigs didn't work out this season. So be it, but to unload all this critisism on a guy, I hardly see the reason. A bum? Really?...

I agree...he was extremely close to death and if I recall correctly this was his first training camp in North America...the game is a lot faster over here...I for one hope he does work a lot harder this season back in Russia and makes the effort to get in shape...I'd still love to see him and Dats work the magic they did in the 03 World Championships

This is outstanding news to me! The fact that were willing to keep a guy like Downey over Grigorenko tells me maybe the boys in management are starting to come around as to the importance of having some fighters!

I think the qaulifying offer is the best route to go, and is more likely to have a positve outcome than him staying here......

3 things are obvious......a)he has talent, and his hands and hockey sense have been commented on for years

b) He'll never be the player he was before the accident

c) He is currently too slow and unfit for the new NHL, and possibly even scoring lines in the old nhl.....

I still have hope though....lets not forget that this guy was a possible 1st liner before his accident, so if he gets his head together and decides he wants it, he could still be a second line winger next year....hopefully the experience will encourage him to reassess his game. He presumably assumed what worked in Russia would work over i detroit, but the game is very different. He'll never be a speedster, and would have assumed that as this hadn't hindered him in Russia, it wouldn't be an issue here. As the top brass have said, he's good enough on every other level, and with still has a fairly high upside.

If he does come back, it means we've had a year to experiment with huddles, kopecky and ellis in larger roles, which is probably good for a wings team deep enough to do well in the regular season.

If he doesn't come back, its a real shame, because he's not far away from being a player the wings could really use. Bet Kenny wishes he'd brought him over the year after he was drafted, because THAT grigs was a better player.

How the hell can you think I'm "backing him up"? Because I called him highly talented? Uh, he is. You don't get picked in the first round without it. Period. Loads of very talented players haven't made it in the NHL, because as you may notice, talent isn't all it takes.

I think you're being blinded by sheer hatred. Hell, you didn't even see the point of what I was saying, which is to point out the Wings' apparent evolution of mindset - bring in some grinders instead of loading up the team with highly rated, highly drafted Europeans that didn't necessarily earn their spot.

Don't forget he WAS a talented player when the Wings drafted him SIX YEARS AGO. He's been through an accident, up and down on his russian teams. Then came to camp soft. I say if he really wants to be a Wing, send him to Cheli's house over the summer and get his but in shape. But for now Buh Bye

So is this another black eye on Russian hockey players in the NHL? Their numbers have been dwindling and it seems that teams are less likely to take major chances on them like they were ten years ago. Yeah, we have our Ovechkins and Kovalchuks and Datsyuks and Kaberles, but then we have guys like Grigorenko who aren't even making the jump. Do we think teams are getting leery of going after Russian players?

I hope Grigorenko realizes what an opportunity he's missed this season and buckles down, now that Dats has explained how you have to play here. I cut him some slack, since I would still like to see him get a chance with the Wings... difference is, now he has to earn it. Let's see if he does.

If he's not willing or able to step up, then Girgs will be much happier in Russia. We can go find another jewel like Cleary, standing right under our noses and begging to lay their bodies and souls on the ice for the Wings, to take his place.

So is this another black eye on Russian hockey players in the NHL? Their numbers have been dwindling and it seems that teams are less likely to take major chances on them like they were ten years ago. Yeah, we have our Ovechkins and Kovalchuks and Datsyuks and Kaberles, but then we have guys like Grigorenko who aren't even making the jump. Do we think teams are getting leery of going after Russian players?

What does Kaberle have to do with Russian hockey?

Ehehehe. Watch the flame wars really kick off now...

Not that I disagree with you, which I don't. Grigorenko was a huge disappointment. But now, watch all of his "supporters" come to his aide and start a flame war over what you posted, and say how the Wings wronged him by not giving him the chance which he didn't deserve.

I didn't see a need for him in the lineup anyways. Yes, the 2nd line does suck, but we're still winning games right now, and I don't see why we should change up a winning formula.

They did give him a chance, its called his first demotion to Grand Rapids. He brought this upon himself, players know better than to show up at camp out of shape. Hopefully this wakes him up and he can come back next season and make a better impression.

I was really hoping to see him back on a line with Datsyuk. All you heard were stories of how he played with Datsyuk. Now, we will never see the two on the same line. Too bad...good luck in Russia.