• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sixer

Wings Goaltending

Rate this topic

I'll try not to mention Top Notch Goalie too often, but serioulsy, I'm very suprised with the lack of concern over our goaltending for the upcoming playoffs.

Forget regular season, you should all know that, make the playoffs with home ice and your in the best possible position you can be, there are no byes in the NHL.

Is no one worried that our top goalie, Hasek, is injury prone and might not be able to play the entire playoffs and given that we don't have a serious top notch goalie that can bring us the cup. You need consistent top goaltending and someone that can make a few game winning saves!

Ozzie is a backup and his days are over. Without a good performance from our offense and defense he can't win us games. He is and never will be a top notch goalie despite what many of you think. He's always had a top team in front of him outplaying the opposing team and limiting the number of good chances on him. He was shown at the all-star game that he can't compete with the big boys, not too mention he can't control rebounds.

We need to trade Ozzie at his bargain salary, while many still think that, and get someone like Toskala who the leafs are willing to deal. This would solidify our Stanley Cup Run without a doubt!!! Other Top Notch Goalies would be available for Osgood plus possible combination of prospects/picks.

Howard would be great as a backup until he's ready later down the road to take over number 1, but in 2008-2009 we cannot play with Osgood as a Starter, mark my roads.

If Hasek goes down in the playoffs, were done, even if we pickup Hossa or Sundin and another D Man.

Make it happen Kenny!!!

Edited by sixer

I'll try not to mention Top Notch Goalie too often, but serioulsy, I'm very suprised with the lack of concern over our goaltending for the upcoming playoffs.

Forget regular season, you should all know that, make the playoffs with home ice and your in the best possible position you can be, there are no byes in the NHL.

Is no one worried that our top goalie, Hasek, is injury prone and might not be able to play the entire playoffs and given that we don't have a serious top notch goalie that can bring us the cup. You need consistent top goaltending and someone that can make a few game winning saves!

Ozzie is a backup and his days are over. Without a good performance from our offense and defense he can't win us games. He is and never will be a top notch goalie despite what many of you think. He's always had a top team in front of him outplaying the opposing team and limiting the number of good chances on him. He was shown at the all-star game that he can't compete with the big boys, not too mention he can't control rebounds.

We need to trade Ozzie at his bargain salary, while many still think that, and get someone like Toskala who the leafs are willing to deal. This would solidify our Stanley Cup Run without a doubt!!! Other Top Notch Goalies would be available for Osgood plus possible combination of prospects/picks.

Howard would be great as a backup until he's ready later down the road to take over number 1, but in 2008-2009 we cannot play with Osgood as a Starter, mark my roads.

If Hasek goes down in the playoffs, were done, even if we pickup Hossa or Sundin and another D Man.

Make it happen Kenny!!!

where were you during the first half of the season? i don't remember you saying ozzie sucked then ... and i would have thought that would be the time to try trading him since his stock was higher ...

it's convenient that you wait until the entire team is playing poorly and then blame the one guy whose performance depends the most on everyone else ... ozzie hasn't been strong, but our defense has looked terrible and he hasn't had a chance on most of those shots (even the announcers agree) ...

and if you think the all-star game means anything you are a moron ... they don't hit and barely play defense, and goalies are routinely hung out to dry ... goalies go through rough stretches, even the great and mighty toskala has them (and why would toronto trade toskala for ozzie?) ... ozzie will be fine

ozie has playing like s*** since he signed that 3 year deal.

true, ozzie hasn't played well of late, but that is true of pretty much the entire team, and to suggest that all of the goals he's allowed are his fault, he sucks, and we should trade him is a bit over-the-top to me ...

Are you some of you honestly oblivious to the fact that without a half decent defense and offense Ozzie can't do anything. And don't tell me that the case with other teams because compared to what we have, even on an off night, Vokoun, Toskala, Brodeur don't have much in front of them.

Ozzie is not a top notch goalie like his stats make it appear. Furthermore, Hasek is no longer an elite goalie like his stats say because he's on the Wings! He's past his prime but because of our Solid Team is good enough to take us to the cup as he provided last playoffs.

Ozzie in front of a leafs team would be pulled in the first period of EVERY GAME!!! The wings played the entire game pratically in the leafs end last Saturday but Leafs won because of Toskala, how can you argue that!

Plain and Simple.

Edited by sixer

I have unfortunately watched most of the games in this recent slide, and I will say that Ozzie doesn't look all that sharp, but basicly I feel that he's not coming up with the highlight reel saves. If he would've stopped any of the last 6 first period goals the Preds or CBJ's scored on him, I think he would've robbed the guy who scored it.

But in all reality, sometimes a goalie has got to rob a few guys- a big save turns the momentum just the same as a big hit, big goal, or for that matter a good scrap.

So yes I am scratching my head but really I think they're one win away from turning it around. For Osgood, and the whole team it's a simple matter of confidence. The All-Star game broke Oz's confidence. The wings... I dunno but they better get it back together obviously, they look DISCOMBOBULATED (spelling?) on the whole really.

Make it happen Kenny!!!

Overreact much? :lol:

Seriously though as I stop being a smart-allec, you're not going to have much company I think, esp. when one of our goalies went to the All-Star game this season and stole a fair amount of games earlier this season. And when you have two of your goalies being around the top 5 in GAA when they've both started roughly an equal amount of games.

Both goalies have proven, at large portions of this season, that they are very capable starters.

You should be vexing about the defense. The defense has left Osgood hung out to dry these last few games. I don't care how good or bad of a goaltender you might be (and Osgood is a good goaltender), every goaltender needs help from both his offense and his defense on occassion. The defense hasn't even come close to helping him the last few games.

And why would the Wings trade Osgood when they recently signed him to a contract extension? That makes absolutely no sense.

Unfortuantely I think you are wasting your efforts and keystrokes wanting to get rid of Osgood and worrying about Hasek. The Wings are going with them, and they could be in a lot worse of a situation with their goaltending.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

1 that's right 1 5on5 goal in the last 3 games and you blame the goalie? Where was the D on the fourth goal last night? A guy wide open in front tips it in untouched? 5 Shots in the first period??? goalie is the least of our problems. So if ozzie stops the break away that lilja gave up and get's a hold of a tip that no one helps out on. Score is still 2-1. But it's easy to blame the goalie, they're out there every shift.

So yes I am scratching my head but really I think they're one win away from turning it around. For Osgood, and the whole team it's a simple matter of confidence. The All-Star game broke Oz's confidence. The wings... I dunno but they better get it back together obviously, they look DISCOMBOBULATED (spelling?) on the whole really.

How do you know the All-Star game broke his confidence? Certainly didn't look that way when he had a shutout recently after in Los Angeles.

The All-Star game is a meaningless game for goaltenders. Just about every goaltender gets toyed with and it's not uncommon for the teams to score 6+ goals in the game. It's often a penalty-free, lackadasial defensive effort game. Goaltenders will always be hung out to dry in the All-Star game.

And the defense for the Wings has done absoultely squat to help Osgood the past few games. I don't care what kind of goalie you are in terms of talent and what not, but every goalie in this league needs help from their offense and defense every now and then. The Wings defense hasn't even come close to helping the goaltending lately.

Osgood and goaltending are far from the main problem right now.

Osgood is having a meltdown. Without the stellar D in front of him, he can't steal games like a Hasek Roy, Brodeuer, ect.

without any D in front of them, and without any O either, none of those are going to steal a game ...

The Wings goalies have had it easy most nights this year,it is alot tougher job when the team does not preform and the goalie is always first to blame. I saw the highlights from last night and it looked like Chris was left out to dry . If the team plays the way they can I think our goaltending will be good enough to give us a good shot at the cup,If the team continues to play poorly our goaltending is not good enough .I guess hockey is a team game .Not many teams win games scoring only one goal.

I equate Ozzie's play right now to Dom's play earlier in the season. It's not so much that these losses or goals are all his fault but it's also possible that from time to time your goalie needs to steal a game and that's not happening either. I have every confidence that Ozzie will turn his game around. Ozzie is and always will be a very solid, stable goaltender. He's never going to be Broduer, Roy, Sawchuck, or even Hasek for that matter. He is certainly just as good as Toskola or Bryzgalov though. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, and trust me the Wings will never trade Osgood, at worst he'll play as a backup, he has earned the respect and loyalty of Kenny and the front office. He will retire a Wing in one capacity or another.

Are you some of you honestly oblivious to the fact that without a half decent defense and offense Ozzie can't do anything. And don't tell me that the case with other teams because compared to what we have, even on an off night, Vokoun, Toskala, Brodeur don't have much in front of them.

Ozzie is not a top notch goalie like his stats make it appear. Furthermore, Hasek is no longer an elite goalie like his stats say because he's on the Wings! He's past his prime but because of our Solid Team is good enough to take us to the cup as he provided last playoffs.

Ozzie in front of a leafs team would be pulled in the first period of EVERY GAME!!! The wings played the entire game pratically in the leafs end last Saturday but Leafs won because of Toskala, how can you argue that!

Plain and Simple.

this is a tired argument ... you could say the same thing about anyone who would be our goalie ... the reality is that over the past few games our defense has been worse than toronto's, worse that florida's, worse than new jersey's ... ozzie hasn't been sharp either, noone is arguing differently, but it's not like the defense has been great and he's letting in soft goals - the whole team has stunk it up ... sure, it would have been nice for him to steal one, but the fact that he didn't singlehandedly win us a game doesn't make him a terrible goalie, toskala doesn't singlehandedly win every game either ... why are you singling out the goalie when the entire team has been terrible?

I'm so sick of this trade ozzie s*** now. true he hasent played as well since his new deal but last 2 games if anyone knows hockey were not bad goaltending games. his rteam quit playing for him and left him out to dry. we have some of the best goaltending in the nhl. its just by chnace ozzie is hurt right now and dom isnet in net getting some of theses losses. whole first half of the year all you dom is done ozzie is great then change ur mind with the flip of a switch make me sick. learn hockey before you come in here and start saying trade ozzie. theres a reason we have the best gerneral manger in the nhl and theres a reason he signed him for another 3 years.

Osgood is having a meltdown. Without the stellar D in front of him, he can't steal games like a Hasek Roy, Brodeuer, ect.

Right there you reveal your bias. Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek have all played worse than Ozzie is playing right now, even WITH quality defense in front of them.

Goaltending has its ups and downs. I'm not concerned. He can steal them when it counts, he just needs his confidence back. S ame with the rest of the team.

And Kronwall and Rafalski were out last night. Columbus was outshooting up 9-2 at one point last night. I wouldn't blame the loss on Osgood.

I said the same thing. Hasek is more important to this team than LGW fans want to admit, and so are Raffi and Kronner.

The real issue is not the goaltending -- it's the lack of scoring that concerns me more.