• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

playoff concerns

Rate this topic

Frankly, if the Stars don't go deep in the playoffs this year, I can see Turco being traded. I personally think they'd be very smart to push for a player like Jokinen (if he's really going to move). That said, I see them as a fragile team as far as confidence goes. Give them some adversity again and I think they may just crumble.

See, maybe it's based on their performances over the past few seasons, but I can't understand how some of you think Dallas are not built for the playoffs.

I think they are, and here's why:

1. While not as good as Luongo, Kipper, and maybe Guigere, Turco is better right now than Hasek, Theodore, Backstrom, Nabokov, Khabibulin, or whomever else in the West. (edit: open for debate)

2. Zubov was top 5 in D scoring before the injury, and he's an excellent PP QB. Along with a healthy Boucher.

3. Modano's play has slid a bit, but he's stilll Modano, and he's won it before.

4. They have a gritty heart-and-soul type Canadian captain.

5. They have a big core of outstanding defence-first Finns (Norstrom, Lehtinen, Hagman)

6. Guys like Barnes and Ott give them a gritty hardworking agitating presence.

They lack a big scoring winger and they admittedly have a lot of unproven players, but if they can address some of their scoring needs, combined with solid team defence, I think they'll do OK this year.

Hve you seen them play in the playoffs? They've been terrible the last several years. They are the epidemy of a regular season team - far more so than the Red Wings. I actually kind of like Turco, and he does have some good games in the playoffs - but more than not he's not up to the task. I've been to several Avs-Stars playoff games 2005-6 - when the Stars I thought had pretty good teams - and they just choked.

None of this means they couldn't give us a run in the playoffs - but scare me? no I'd rather draw the Stars than the Ducks or the Sharks. In fact, it would be better if the Ducks could slide into first place in their division so we could avoid them until a potential WCF matchup....

why do some people think last year determines team's fate in this playoffs?

yes, Stars used to choke badly in playoffs. so were Sharks. does it mean they'll

do the same this year? ummm... not so...

in my belief this is going to be their breakout year and with some luck they'll go

deep. I actually have more faith in Stars than in Sharks. but again - everything

can happen and it can be both of this teams playing some excellent hockey.

I don't see a fluky team going for it again. people learned from that wild

post-lockout seasons and no longer take any other team lightly. that's not

saying 8th team is sure to lose against 1st but there's less chance a team

that barely makes a playoff spot will beat a team that prepared for playoffs

for weeks

Stars are playing great, I would say a cup contender for sure this year. However, I'm extremely confident that If we play with fire and with passion, to get to the ultimate prize at any cost, there is not one team in entire NHL that can win in 7 game series against us.

Zubov, Turco, Modano, all those guys are great players and Stars are playing very well as a team. But we have Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg and other amazing casts and we have amazing offense, suffocating defense and have been playing amazingly well as a team. It is us who are at the top of the food chain this season. It doesn't matter what other teams do, it's all about what we do to win it this year IMO.

"I want to skate around another year. If I get close to Cheli's age. Shoot me. Shoot me tonight after the game if I even think about playing that long." -intermission interview. Flyers v Sharks

Hilarious

"I want to skate around another year. If I get close to Cheli's age. Shoot me. Shoot me tonight after the game if I even think about playing that long." -intermission interview. Flyers v Sharks

Hilarious

JR is a load that should have been swallowed!

I hope we've come to know now that, other than having a game 7 at home, seeding means very little in the playoffs now. You don't have to look to far back in 2005-06 when Edmonton knocked the Wings out of the first round, and all the top 4 seeds were eliminated in that first round.

While the perception is I'd like us to play Colorado in the first round, in the end I'd rather not pick our poision. No series is a guarantee 4-game sweep or 5-game coaster, I don't care what seed you are or how good/bad you might be in the playoffs or if you are Detroit, Dallas, Anaheim, or whoever.

What can I say I'm no fun in this debate. :lol:

why do some people think last year determines team's fate in this playoffs?

yes, Stars used to choke badly in playoffs. so were Sharks. does it mean they'll

do the same this year? ummm... not so...

QFT. While I dont see the Stars as a threat to us in the playoffs, but, I do see them getting farther than they have been. They have been doing good this year. Plus, the Stars are one of my fave teams and I would like to see them get far....just not as far as us ;)

Guest Canadian Wings
Sportsnet.ca -- Sportsnet has learned the Buffalo Sabres recently made a formal offer to Brian Campbell that the all-star defenceman rejected.

Sources said the Sabres were set to make Brian Campbell among the top-paid defenceman in the league but the stumbling block remained the length of the deal which was believed to be only in the three-year range.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/02/21/campbell_sabres/

Gotta love how the Sabres do business with there key free agents.

Edited by Canadian Wings

Buffalo should be thankful that another team will give him his 6 year/42 million dollar contract. Campbell is awful in his own zone, and while it sucks for them to lose yet another "name" player, they'll be better off cap-wise down the line.

I didn't know JR was still playing in the NHL.

Me neither. Maybe ask Osgod about it.

As for JR, maybe if he was going to still be effective (like Chelios is) some team might want him when he's Cheli's age.

They definitely have the goaltending to get it done, but there's not alot of depth both up front and on the blueline. If they make a couple moves at the deadline, I can see them as a big threat