• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Superman54

So......Lebda Or Lilja?

Rate this topic

Lebda absolutely should be the one to sit. With a healthy set of defenseman, there is more than enough offensive production on D with Stuart now in the mix. Lebda no longer serves a purpose, you have to go with Lilja by default for being big and occasionally physical to get a good mix. Lebda brings neither.

The next 6 weeks or so are going to be huge for the Wings D next year.

The Org will get a good look at these guys competing for a job, plus they have had a chance to see the youth in the system play some serious minutes. And they get to see what they will look like *gulp* without Lids. Did that hurt to read as much as it hurt to type?

Eriscson showed promise, Meech and Quincey have been given chances to shine, Lilja and Lebda are no longer guaranteed a spot, they will be in competition, Stuart is a free agent so isn't Lilja.

This next 6 weeks mean a lot for this D next year!!

Dude, Lilja was so epic through out the playoffs and even now he's doing great! I'd take Andreas over Lebda any day. He's excellent on the PK and has a S-word load of hits and blocked shots.

I say we combine them into Lebdilja, a very large, fast skating D-man with offensive upside. With our luck though, we'd end up with Lilda, who would be smallish, slow, and make give-aways in the defensive zone. <_<

Lol, maybe after we could take Samuelsson and Hudler and make Samudler. A 5'10 czech speaking Swede that is known for his rugged good looks, and a shot thats so fast it could make al macinnis blush.

Edited by Dubyk87

Maybe neither of lilja or lebda will sit. Maybe it will be Stuart. Although i hope not. Who knows? Stuart might not fit in well?

IMO i think it will be Lebda, he can't handle the big players opposition.

Lol, maybe after we could take Samuelsson and Hudler and make Samudler. A 5'10 czech speaking Swede that is known for his rugged good looks, and a shot thats so fast it could make al macinnis blush.

Exactly which of those two is known for their looks? Maybe if you add Lilja to the mold, then we're talking.

:lol:

I say Lebda plays. He seems to step up his Physicality in the playoffs. Just ask Daymond Langkow about the hit he received last year in the playoffs. Like him or not we need Lebda back there. Do you guys really want a pass spoonfed to Teemu Selanne again. I surely don't.

Yeah, Lilja's probably a better defenceman than Lebda. But a Chelios-Lilja pairing wouldn't exactly be the fleetest of foot would it? You'd certainly have to limit their even-strength time, because I could totally see them getting exploited by a faster team that knew how to fore-check.

Lebda. He has no place on this team now with the addition of Stuart. Lilja, at the very least, brings a (sorta) physical presence to the lineup. What does Lebda do, other than give the puck away and get crushed by bigger players?

I think Lilja is the one who will be playing. I like Lebda, but Lilja will help us more in the playoffs in my opinion. He is more physical and has more size. For those of you still harping on the giveaway from almost a year ago, can we please move on? Yes, it was at an extremely important time. Yes, it may have been the single most important reason why the Wings did not win that series. But honestly, it was almost a year ago. Players make mistakes. Lilja's worst one happened at an awful time. It doesn't mean that it is going to happen again. People who study the psychological development of children have found that by the age of six, a child can distinguish one situation from another, meaning that they are able to understand that just because something happens a certain way once, does not mean that it will happen that way again, even if the same general factors are involved. My condolences to those of you who have not yet reached this milestone. Yeah, the last comment was a smartass remark. I already know it. Spare me.

Uh Lilja is not good. I'm not impressed with him at all. Lebda actually creates plays. Lilja creates waay too many turnovers.

Still though, Lilja is way more physical than Lebda.

Lilja is big, but he doesn't use his size. He gives the puck away at terrible times, I mean, I have never seen one player make so many bad passes and not take any heat for it.

Lebda is small, but we have size on D, so its not a problem and he can skate, maybe one of the best skaters on the team when he gets going (plus he is American).

I say (hope to God) Lilja gets the boot

Lilja> Lebda

Lilja isn't the most complete d-man and still makes mistakes (turning over the puck to Selanne). But He does block shots and finish checks. Also one of the moments that sticks out in my mind is when Phaenuf leveled Hudler center ice in the Calgary series last year, Lilja asked Phaneuf to go. Not many of us would want to fight Phaneuf. When I think of Lebda I think of Horrible passing, and How he takes one arm off his stick to press guys against the boards which just turns into a kickfest, very ineffective bump your man and get the puck. Like I said. Lilja > Lebda

I'm thinking Lilja will be in during the playoffs for size and because he is the pain train. He actually was somewhat beloved for a minute and a half last playoff season. I like Lebda's speed but doubt he'll contribute that way so I'm thinking he'll be the man out unfortunately, because I always think Lilja makes more stupid mistakes.

I don't see Lillypad being better then Lebda.

Maybe i just hate Lillypad more then any other player out there. I think he is slow, he never uses his size to his advantage, he has terrible hands when it come to handling the puck and he just sucks.

I hope that we see less of him in the near future!

Well, let's look at what each player brings.

Lebda brings speed and decent play at each end. Nothing spectacular, but he's well balanced. He's small and does not handle physical forwards well. Lebda's speed is his only real asset that makes an argument for his inclusion in the lineup on an everyday basis.

Lilja brings a slower, more position-based defensive game. Lilja is the best shot blocker on the team and one of the best penalty killers, and plays a physical game. He is not very offensively skilled but can pass the puck effectively enough to play in our system.

Now, let's take a look at what we have above them.

The Wings' top four are all good two-way defensemen, but only Kronwall and Stuart play any kind of physical hockey. Chelios plays a gritty game and is good defensively. The Wings' top five generally lacks size more than skating.

So ultimately, Lilja adds size, grit, physicality, and solid defense while Lebda only adds speed.

No contest, Lilja is the better fit for the 6th spot. Had it been Foote instead of Stuart, the answer might have been Lebda.

But at this point, I think I'd rather see Meech instead of Lebda.

Well, let's look at what each player brings.

Lebda brings speed and decent play at each end. Nothing spectacular, but he's well balanced. He's small and does not handle physical forwards well. Lebda's speed is his only real asset that makes an argument for his inclusion in the lineup on an everyday basis.

Lilja brings a slower, more position-based defensive game. Lilja is the best shot blocker on the team and one of the best penalty killers, and plays a physical game. He is not very offensively skilled but can pass the puck effectively enough to play in our system.

Now, let's take a look at what we have above them.

The Wings' top four are all good two-way defensemen, but only Kronwall and Stuart play any kind of physical hockey. Chelios plays a gritty game and is good defensively. The Wings' top five generally lacks size more than skating.

So ultimately, Lilja adds size, grit, physicality, and solid defense while Lebda only adds speed.

No contest, Lilja is the better fit for the 6th spot. Had it been Foote instead of Stuart, the answer might have been Lebda.

But at this point, I think I'd rather see Meech instead of Lebda.

Seconded. Glad I'm not the only one unimpressed by the only two supposed veteran d-men we've had the last few games. Meech is making a statement, for sure. Ericsson too, to a lesser extent. I like Chelios/Meech as a 3rd pair in the playoffs.

Considering Lebda did not cost us tonights game, I will go with Lebda.

I know Ledba didn't play very well tonight, but w/o his fast look pass to hit Flips, we wouldn't of taken the lead.

But to be honest, Lilypad did do some good things tonight. I like Lebda cause he's from Notre Dame, but if Meech plays this well (I think he's played great the last few games) and Lily and Lebda continue to play this bad.... Let's get Meech the spot. Who knows though?

I think he is slow, he never uses his size to his advantage, he has terrible hands when it come to handling the puck and he just sucks.

sounds like Sammy

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

I know Ledba didn't play very well tonight, but w/o his fast look pass to hit Flips, we wouldn't of taken the lead.

But to be honest, Lilypad did do some good things tonight. I like Lebda cause he's from Notre Dame, but if Meech plays this well (I think he's played great the last few games) and Lily and Lebda continue to play this bad.... Let's get Meech the spot. Who knows though?

In case you didnt understand, I was saying Lebda is better than Lilja. And I agree, Meech is better than both, as of right now.