• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaldean

Conn Smythe Trophy Discussion

Rate this topic

Your Conn Smythe Trophy goes to:  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kind of reminds me of Fedorov in 2002. I thought he had his best playoffs ever. He wasn't always the one up on the board - but he was a complete player - all over the ice, mistake free, PK, PP, all of it. But those kinds of things don't get you the numbers. Pavel has been outstanding this postseason - but like you said - the numbers are probably not there - as far as intangibles - he's been incredible!

Oh don't you dare say that 7 letter word around here. You will start a riot <_<

I agree although I don't think the Smythe should be given to a goaltender unless hes been insane. Especially on a team like the Wings. I mean we can all admit, giant shoulder pads or not that hes not playing on par with 2004 Giggy giggy giggy.

Mule sticks out for me. Hank/Dats/Sid/Hossa in my mind, balance each other out. Mule has put together an insane run and provided the secondary scoring that every one said the team needed.

I pick Datsyuk also just because hes been consistently good, even in the absence of scoring.

I think Osgood has been insane. No matter how many or how few shots you face, stopping nearly 94% of them is absolutely outstanding.

Granted, Giguere faced like twice the shots Ozzie has. (Almost literally.) But I think if you replaced either Ozzie or Hank with an average player, the greater loss would be Osgood right now.

I think Osgood has been insane. No matter how many or how few shots you face, stopping nearly 94% of them is absolutely outstanding.

Granted, Giguere faced like twice the shots Ozzie has. (Almost literally.) But I think if you replaced either Ozzie or Hank with an average player, the greater loss would be Osgood right now.

Id like to buy into the story but I think Zetterberg will get it. For all the wrong reasons really.. I love Zetterberg but outside of the third period of tonights game, I don't believe he has consistently been our most important player.

Like you said, remove Osgood, we wouldn't make it as far with Hasek. Remove Zetterberg and I believe, I know this is blasphemy, that the Wings would be ok with Datsyuk/Mule/Homer/Hudler. The same could be said for Lidstrom, hes had two bad games but hes been our best defender. I doubt this team makes it this far with Kronwall as our #1.

I say give the trophy to Zetterberg. Unless either Datsyuk or Osgood win the next game single handedly, Zetterberg deserves it more than anybody else, especially after tonights defensive performance.

I saw one single save that makes the difference for me. I'm a goalie, and unfortunately the non-goalie crowd might not recognize it, but it was just amazing.

I don't even remember when the play was or who shot it, but it was a pass across and a one-timer and Osgood was just there. My friend (also a goalie) had a look of amazement, and my jaw just dropped. It was a chest save.

Osgood is just not flashy. Nabokov, on the same shot, would likely have gotten across slower and made a beautiful glove save. Had Osgood been slower, but made the glove save, we'd all be talking about his game-saving stop right now.

In a one-goal game, you just can't ask for more.

Id like to buy into the story but I think Zetterberg will get it. For all the wrong reasons really.. I love Zetterberg but outside of the third period of tonights game, I don't believe he has consistently been our most important player.

Like you said, remove Osgood, we wouldn't make it as far with Hasek. Remove Zetterberg and I believe, I know this is blasphemy, that the Wings would be ok with Datsyuk/Mule/Homer/Hudler. The same could be said for Lidstrom, hes had two bad games but hes been our best defender. I doubt this team makes it this far with Kronwall as our #1.

I don't know about blasphemy but I sure think you are in the minority here. Zetterberg has been equally important as any player on the team. Taking out any one of Z/Dats/Oz/Lids would really have hurt this team in the earlier rounds. And if you take out the first round against Nashville, where I agree Zetterberg wasn't the mvp, he has been the best player on the team in my opinion with Osgood almost at his side.

Edited by blikst

I gotta go with Ozzie, without him we would have been stuck with Hasek, which means we would have been pushed out early. Winning games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs begins with goaltending, and I have seen some the best of it from Oz this year that I have seen in a long long time.He's been as clutch as Brodeur in his heyday, if not moreso.

Given that Defense is a team affair, and everyone really did their part in games one and two, Ozzie accomplised something that's only happened 3 times in the history of the cup starting with two shutouts. That set the tone for the series, and without it, who knows where we'd be right now. There has been phenomenal play from all the usual suspects, but I gotta say I think Oz has stolen this series, if not the whole cup run with his play. He definately deserves it.

a guy on tv here in UK made a good point about it though, ozzie in Conn Smythe bound... but the thing is its got a hell of a lot to do with the 5 men in front of him, I mean not a lot of shots get at him. Still think he should probably win it but more recenlty Z has been creeping into contention for me.... especially after his 5-on-3 play last night.

Z has certainly been our best forward, and has done a terrific job neutralizing Crosby, but he has only put up 2 points in 4 games and that will sway the voters away from him and towards Ozzie IMO.

And I think Ozzie deserves it for his play.

If it's any other goaltender in net for the Wings with Ozzies stats, he wins hands down. But since it is Ozzie, it's a toss up.

Does he deserve it? Yes. He saved the Wings season twice. Once at the beginning of the season when Dom couldn't stop a beach ball. And then again against Nashville when Dom lost his mental edge.

All things aside, I'd like to see Hank win it, only to because he'd be the second Euro to win the award, but Ozzie is quite deserving.

If it's any other goaltender in net for the Wings with Ozzies stats, he wins hands down. But since it is Ozzie, it's a toss up.

Does he deserve it? Yes. He saved the Wings season twice. Once at the beginning of the season when Dom couldn't stop a beach ball. And then again against Nashville when Dom lost his mental edge.

All things aside, I'd like to see Hank win it, only to because he'd be the second Euro to win the award, but Ozzie is quite deserving.

Same thoughts exactly! :thumbup:

Something to ponder for the future: Will they retire Ozzie's jersey? The guy has how many Cups with D-Town? How many playoff wins? Overall save %? Not jackin the thread but I think somone will have to take a close look. Passing Sawchuk really opened my eyes. Different era, I know... but dont they look at stats when they think about things like that?

Assuming they win this series, Ozzie will have 3 Cups, 52 playoff wins in the Winged Wheel, and a career playoff GAA of about 2. He sure should get the 30 from the rafters.

A Howard/Osgood combo could have done an equally good job. Both of you are really under rating the Wings defense.

Personally, I still wish the Wings had Cujo. The guy was clutch and the fan base s*** on him. Hasek retired, then came back and forced the Wings hands.

Not on his best day could Howard carry Hasek's jockstrap. I don't see a bunch of Vezinas in the kids future.

Cujo was the best (only) player in the playoffs that year but Hasek was still a trade up. Kinda s***ty if you're Cujo but part of the game of hockey.

When was the last time a goalie that has numbers like these was NOT a shoe in for Conn Smythe?

13W / 3L 1.45GAA 3SO

And the guy makes 800k a year? How much do the Dives pay Taydoor to suck? When is this guy ever going to get any respect in the league?

I don't think we are even here without Osgood this year. The team simply plays with more confidence in front of him and the guy has been in the zone almost the entire year. He absolutely gets my vote. Maybe then the back handed compliments that he gets from talking head commentators might stop.

Assuming the series ends sooner rather than later, it's between Zetterberg and Osgood. And when it's close like this, I feel like it usually goes to the goaltender. Osgood is absolutely deserving of it. Even last night, Z was a monster, but Ozzy kept the Wings in the game by making huge saves on Crosby and Dupuis. For at least half the game, the Penguins had the better scoring chances.

Zetterberg should get it hands down.

I don't want to minimize what Osgood has done, because he has done everything he has needed to do in order to get the Wings the Cup, but really how can you give the Wings goalie the Cup when I don't think the Wings have been outshot in a single game these playoffs? I simply can't justify that when Osgood hasn't had to outplay the opposing goalie.

It's definately between Osgood and Zetterberg. It's hard because on one hand, we wouldn't be where we are right now without Osgood in net for us. On the same hand, Zetterberg has been a monster the entire playoffs, with his second in points thus far, shorthanded goals, and dominating defensive play, he also has been a big reason why we are where we are right now.

This is a tough choice to make. I'm leaning toward Zetterberg, but Osgood deserves it as too.

Zetterberg should get it hands down.

I don't want to minimize what Osgood has done, because he has done everything he has needed to do in order to get the Wings the Cup, but really how can you give the Wings goalie the Cup when I don't think the Wings have been outshot in a single game these playoffs? I simply can't justify that when Osgood hasn't had to outplay the opposing goalie.

Because although the Wings don't give up many chances, the ones they do give up tend to be gilt-edged.

Because although the Wings don't give up many chances, the ones they do give up tend to be gilt-edged.

They don't give up as many shots, but if you look at the scoring oppurtunities between the Wings and whoever they may be playing they are strikingly similiar.

Not on his best day could Howard carry Hasek's jockstrap. I don't see a bunch of Vezinas in the kids future.

Cujo was the best (only) player in the playoffs that year but Hasek was still a trade up. Kinda s***ty if you're Cujo but part of the game of hockey.

Howard today is absolutely as good or better than Hasek is today. There is no doubt Howard would have put up very similar numbers to that of Hasek, had Howard actually gotten to play.

Now will Howard see the personal success in his career that Dom did? Few goalies ever have or will, so that is an unfair comparison.

This Wings would be foolish to invite Dom back.