Interesting lines they had today:

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Cleary-Zetterberg-Hossa

Hudler-Draper-Filppula

Meech-Kopecky-Maltby

Lilja-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Chelios

The lines they've had so far were good offense lines but I wonder if Babcock is trying to get some defensive chemistry in there.

the first 2 lines and the d-pairings are actually the same as in the avs game. so no surprise here. they worked pretty well in my opinion (if you forget the notorious bad first 20 minutes of that game, but the rest of the way....)

Glad to see Meech up there, but for a person to really jump start a team, I think it takes more than one. Maybe if Meech AND someone like Erikson, Abdelkader or Helm were brought up it would have an impact, but just one player? But it does seem as if they are trying to address the defense issue.

Sammy's been playing great, he's a bargain, he's in the last year on his contract. and I'm sure Holland is sick of running up against the cap all season. It makes a fair amount of sense.

still, I'd be surprised if it happened.

While Holland may be tired of running up against the cap all season, I agree that moving Sammy isn't on his radar either. It just doesn't make any sense given his salary and his production this season. Kenny's made it work so far this season and there's no reason to think he'll move someone of that value before he literally has no other choice.

Good to hear Nick doesn't have anything broken.

For some reason Franzen-Datsyuk-Clear and Hossa-Z-Holmstrom, looks better to me than what they are going with. Either way the Franzen-Datsyuk Z-Hossa combos will be interesting.

Edited by Bluedevils_13

I don't want Sammy to be sick, but hopefully the opportunity presents some line combinations worth keeping. Z, Franzen, and Sammy wasn't working. Z now has two wingers that will hopefully get him going again. Cleary deserves to play in the top six anyways. Meech, Helm, and Maltby would be a better fourth line, but it appears Kopecky is here to stay sadly. I don't like the Red Wings chances against Chicago in either game if Lidstrom doesn't play. That's obviously a major loss against the hottest team in the NHL right now.

if holland wants cap room, why not waive/buyout draper and maltby?

You are honestly suggesting buying out a players who wears an A on his jersey? You must not be too familar with the way the Red Wings run their organization. If you worked in the front office and suggested this, Mr I may very well fire you on the spot.

if holland wants cap room, why not waive/buyout draper and maltby? i'd much rather have two out of (leino, helm, abdelkader) out there.

Not to come across as a jerk, but have you followed the Red Wings organization? There is no chance the Red Wings get rid of Draper or Maltby on anything but their own terms. A huge reason the Red Wings have won four championships in 11 years is the loyalty presented to the players from the Ilitch family through the rest of the front office. Players want to play for and stay with the Red Wings because it is the epitome of a first class organization. I would rather see Darren Helm right now too, but it is not realistic to suggest the Red Wings are going to waive two parts of the team that have played a role in four championships.

Edited by GoWings1905

You are honestly suggesting buying out a players who wears an A on his jersey? You must not be too familar with the way the Red Wings run their organization. If you worked in the front office and suggested this, Mr I may very well fire you on the spot.

i don't care about kraft macaroni and cheese. at some point loyalty becomes a burden. draper and maltby have been beyond BRUTAL all year. actually maltby has been overall a little better than draper. we have a load of talent waiting to come up from grand rapids. so who do we lose to get them in the lineup? filpulla? hudler? franzen? no thanks. zonk out drapes and maltby. they don't even kill penalties well anymore.

I'm tired of seeing Meech playing at forward. How is this helping his development as a defenseman when he's played forward all season when he's in the lineup?

This injury to Sammy is the perfect opportunity to give Downey a shot to kick some ass and give this team some much needed energy. Instead, we dress another undersized forward.

Also, if Lidstrom does come back, Chelli should still play in the Winter Classic, being from Chicago and all.

if holland wants cap room, why not waive/buyout draper and maltby? i'd much rather have two out of (leino, helm, abdelkader) out there.

Drapes isn't going anywhere. He is too valuable for face offs.

Everyone is trashing the older guys and wanting these young ones.... did you all forget the old guys beat the young ones for the cup.