• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hank

Hossa to Sign Soon?

Rate this topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=lebrun_pierre

Red Wings

Detroit GM Ken Holland met this week with the agents for star winger Marian Hossa and Johan Franzen. With Henrik Zetterberg signed, Holland has now shifted his focus to those two pending unrestricted free agents. His message, we are told, to both camps was he can only sign one of the two players now and the other has to wait until July 1 because of the "tagging" rule in the CBA (basically next year's payroll commitment can't go over this year's cap number).

The interesting part is Hossa is sounding like a guy who wants to stay, which he knows means taking less money than he would get on the open market. Hossa has told people around him he loves it in Detroit. He knows he won't be allowed to earn more than Zetterberg ($6.08 million cap number). He would easily earn more than $8 million on the open market.

It's a pretty clear decision for Hossa. If you want to have a chance to win every season, stay in Detroit for a few less dollars. If you want to make to cash in but never win again, sign with a team that will blow the bank on you July 1, but has no chance at the Cup. Stay in Detroit, Marian.

If the Wings can resign this guy for $6M per year, they'll probably let Franzen walk.

With Leino improving, I think the Wings would love to stick with Hudler, Leino and Hossa over that same combo except with Franzen.

If the Wings can resign this guy for $6M per year, they'll probably let Franzen walk.

With Leino improving, I think the Wings would love to stick with Hudler, Leino and Hossa over that same combo except with Franzen.

I could totally live with this type of deal. I would hate see Franzen go, but I think Hossa is the better all around consistent player. Hopefully they will both take less money but longer terms, so they can stay this one big happy family!

Kenny better be trying to sign Hossa first. He is simply amazing when he is out on the ice. Franzen is a good player, but every time you turn around, he is injured. Lock Hossa up now and wait on Franzen.

I think Hossa should be the top priority, IMO. He'll cost more, but that's money well spent. Especially because every single rumor or update on Hossa and the Wings indicates he's a team player and is willing to do what it takes to stay in Detroit. Does that mean another pay cut? Who knows? But he really seems to want to stay.

It was always close between him and Franzen, but Franzen seems to have become more of an injury liability.

No one knows what is going to happen with the Hossa, Franzen situation period.

We have some facts, but they do not lead to anything solid yet.

Facts:

* Hossa has stated on more than 1 occasion he loves it in Detroit.

* Hossa took less money to come to Detroit to be on a winning team.

* Hossa has fit in well with this team and seems to be having a good time.

* Franzen news in the same nature has not been as numerous, but this could simply be because Hossa is getting more focus.

* Franzen has also stated albiet not a loudly as Hossa that he would like to stay a RedWing

* Rumor? Many say Franzen was not so easy to sign the last time.

* Holland has put out many hints that 1 of the 2 will be signed before the playoff's (at this point with the time frame he put it (4 to 6 weeks a couple weeks ago) we should be hearing something within a month).

Lots of speculation on moving players like Flip, not resigning Sammy and much more come into play by many in order to make more cap room and bringing up Helm and cast from GR, but these guys in a year or 2 will also demand larger paychecks....

Bottom line on all of this is that until there is an announcement, you might as well flip a coin...

I hope the Wings are able to get Hossa signed. Franzen is great, but Hossa has the natural abilities to take over as Captain after Lidstrom leaves. As great as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are, Hossa has more of a determined presence about his personality. And off ice, I think more so than those two.

Yeah, if he stays with the Wings, I can see Hossa having worked his way into wearing the C by then.

I hope the Wings are able to get Hossa signed. Franzen is great, but Hossa has the natural abilities to take over as Captain after Lidstrom leaves. As great as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are, Hossa has more of a determined presence about his personality. And off ice, I think more so than those two.

Yeah, if he stays with the Wings, I can see Hossa having worked his way into wearing the C by then.

What? Zetterberg is this team's next captain. Pretty much period.

...It was always close between him and Franzen, but Franzen seems to have become more of an injury liability.

It's not close between Hossa and Franzen. Frazen is an emerging power forward who could turn into Dustin Penner. Not saying I don't like him, but c'mon Hossa is truly on par w/ Zets and Datsyuk and every other top forward in the league. He's a game-breaker just like Z and D. You sign Hossa if you can. If not, you sign Franzen (if you can).

Z has been pretty much penciled in for the C since his second season here.

Word,

LDi03

Kenny better be trying to sign Hossa first. He is simply amazing when he is out on the ice. Franzen is a good player, but every time you turn around, he is injured. Lock Hossa up now and wait on Franzen.

Put Hossa in front of the net more and I bet he gets hurt more.

Z has been pretty much penciled in for the C since his second season here.

Word,

LDi03

Z is the next captain after Lidstrom retires. I could see Hossa getting an A though.

Put Hossa in front of the net more and I bet he gets hurt more.

Not all of his injuries have come from being in front of the net though.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHA Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight..

Never mind the grooming of Zetterberg, up to and including the longest contract in franchise history - yeah, the "C" is going to Hossa.

Seriously, where do you people get this stuff??

IF he stays and continues to be a stand up guy on the ice and in the locker room, I could see an "A", but THE "C"?? Over Hank? Never.

I like that he's told them he can only sign one of the two before the playoffs. It's gonna be incentive for each player to give the club the best deal. Very smart move (although I understand he can't sign both anyway, but it's good politics). I don't think either will want to go through the playoffs not knowing where they'll be next year.

Hossa is without a doubt more skilled than Franzen. If that rumored 6M is true, there should be no doubt in Holland's mind as to who he should sign.

Throughout Hossa's entire career, he's proven he can stay healthy (moreso than Zetterberg, who signed a 12 year contract). He's also proven himself to be a point-per-game player, and one capable of just as many goals as Franzen is. There's also no doubt as to which of the two is the more defensively-responsible player. Also, I'm assuming last year dispelled all of the critics of Hossa's play in the post-season.

Franzen, on the other hand, is only a year younger than Hossa and hasn't proven to be nearly the player Hossa is. He has yet to play an 82 game season (he played 80 games in his first season, but has missed at least 10 games in each season after that), and still hasn't even reached a full calendar year of top-six-forward skill.

I've been an advocate for resigning Hudler, Franzen, and Leino, but if Hossa is really obtainable for 6M/yr then I can't really make an argument for keeping Mule. Hossa just offers skills so similar to that of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and you get so much more for your money (assuming Hossa is only a couple million over Franzen). If Hossa signed for 6M, we'd have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hossa for a combined total of 18.78M (compared to Crosby and Malkin's combined 17.4M). Not a bad deal.

Wrong. Zetterburg is the next captain. End of discussion. Where on earth did you come up with Hossa as the captain?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...e=lebrun_pierre

...yes, but Hudler is going to cost more than Franzen. You let Franzen walk, you get nothing in return. You let Hudler walk, he gets a qualifying offer, you get compensated with draft picks...

...which one makes more sense?

Hossa is without a doubt more skilled than Franzen. If that rumored 6M is true, there should be no doubt in Holland's mind as to who he should sign.

Throughout Hossa's entire career, he's proven he can stay healthy (moreso than Zetterberg, who signed a 12 year contract). He's also proven himself to be a point-per-game player, and one capable of just as many goals as Franzen is. There's also no doubt as to which of the two is the more defensively-responsible player. Also, I'm assuming last year dispelled all of the critics of Hossa's play in the post-season.

Franzen, on the other hand, is only a year younger than Hossa and hasn't proven to be nearly the player Hossa is. He has yet to play an 82 game season (he played 80 games in his first season, but has missed at least 10 games in each season after that), and still hasn't even reached a full calendar year of top-six-forward skill.

I've been an advocate for resigning Hudler, Franzen, and Leino, but if Hossa is really obtainable for 6M/yr then I can't really make an argument for keeping Mule. Hossa just offers skills so similar to that of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and you get so much more for your money (assuming Hossa is only a couple million over Franzen). If Hossa signed for 6M, we'd have Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Hossa for a combined total of 18.78M (compared to Crosby and Malkin's combined 17.4M). Not a bad deal.

Sorry but the math still doesn't work unless they dump some players.

They are right at the cap now

Z just got a $3M raise (cap hit)

Say Hossa comes in at $6M cap hit. That's $1.5M that we then have to spend

Ericsson replaces Cheli

Howard replaces Conks

we still would have to sign

Hudler

Sammy

Mule

Kopy

Mac

Downey

Now with only 1.5M to spend you can only keep 1 of the 7 and it's highly unlikely to be Mule. Mac, Downey and Kopy already are probably out the door.

That means we probably lose Mule and Sammy or Mule and Hudler. AND we would still be up against the cap which has been a big problem this year.

...yes, but Hudler is going to cost more than Franzen. You let Franzen walk, you get nothing in return. You let Hudler walk, he gets a qualifying offer, you get compensated with draft picks...

I think we need to make the moves that make us a better team irregardless of draft picks. We have so much talent now half the guys will never see the ice wearing the Winged wheel. I can live with losing some picks so long as we get the right guys and get the cap situation sorted out for the next few years. Frazen and Filpula seem like the two odd guys out to me. I love Mule but Hossa, Datsyuk and Zetterberg long term is a dream come true, plug any of the remaining average guys around them and we'll be fine.

You obviously haven't given up on your one man campaign to rid the team of Hudler, but I need to point something out.

You get no compensation if you aren't going to negotiate with Hudler- this also requires that another team is going to make an offer sheet for him.

No offer sheet = no picks. Now, let's say that we make a qualifying offer to him and he takes it? Oops (according to you), now we're "stuck" with him.

I also wonder where you think that Hudler would cost more than Franzen? Franzen is UFA, so most likely there will be a number of teams seeking him out for next season.

Hudler strikes me as a guy that is much more committed to the success of the Wings than his own pocket. I could be very off base on this, but I see Franzen as less a team guy and more willing to seek out the best thing for him. He's UFA. He's going to test the market.

I think we can all see that you are seizing on this opportunity to try and get people to agree with your assessment of Hudler's value to this team. I seem to recall that you had something in your signature last season about Hudler that was less than flattering. Now you have your tongue-in-cheek "Hail to the Euros" in your sig.

If you really think that letting the player on our team walk that is ranked 54th in goalscoring, 49th in assists, and 44th in points in the league (and has played every game this season, I may add) is a good idea, I can only thank the hockey gods that your name is not Ken Holland.

I don't know where you get your numbers LeftWinger, but Hudler will NOT make more than Franzen. Hudler is a RFA, and teams aren't exactly handing out offer sheets left and right, especially because the Red Wings would match any reasonable offer sheet. Hudler has no where near the bargaining power that Franzen has, and still has years left to make the big bucks if that's his motive. Worst case scenario, Hudler takes the Red Wings to salary arbitration (which has a history of dishing out some pretty conservative salaries). Franzen, on the other hand, doesn't have much time left to make the big bucks. And while staying on a successful team may be worth ~1M/yr less, Franzen hasn't seen anything but what many experts call the "model franchise." He's also on pace for over 35 goals, and he's one of the few players that ever hit the market which resemble a modern-day power forward.

Also, with Hossa the numbers don't quite add up. That's a fact. Another fact is that Holland has always pulled off these miracles and found a way to make the numbers work. Perhaps Maltby or Draper retires, perhaps Flip is moved, etc. Regardless, if Hossa is signed, I guarantee Holland will find a way to make it work.

Also, what is so bad about Hudler, LW? I can't see why so many people are so quick to ship him off.

Edited by Yzerman191

Sorry but the math still doesn't work unless they dump some players.

They are right at the cap now

Z just got a $3M raise (cap hit)

Say Hossa comes in at $6M cap hit. That's $1.5M that we then have to spend

Ericsson replaces Cheli

Howard replaces Conks

we still would have to sign

Hudler

Sammy

Mule

Kopy

Mac

Downey

Now with only 1.5M to spend you can only keep 1 of the 7 and it's highly unlikely to be Mule. Mac, Downey and Kopy already are probably out the door.

That means we probably lose Mule and Sammy or Mule and Hudler. AND we would still be up against the cap which has been a big problem this year.

Agreed, everything is still a little fuzzy. According to redwingscentral we are 9.45 under the cap for next year. Assuming we sign Hossa for 6, bring up Ericsson for .9, we would have about 2.5 mil in cap room with 8 forwards, 8 defensemen and 1 goalie under contract. I believe you are supposed to have 23 players signed. You might be able to get away with having 22, I'm not sure?

However, having to sign six more players for 2.5 million, with Franzen, Hudler, Samuelsson, Leino, Conklin due for pay increases, the wings will probably have to do some maneuvering. I dont see how it's possible to keep Franzen if we sign Hossa unless he takes a HUGE hometown discount.

Sending Hudler, and Leino to arbitration will make sense if we cant sign them for cheap. That way we get them for another year and we can re-negotiate when Lidstroms contract comes off the books.

It's going to be interesting to see how everything plays out, and im definitely glad I dont have to make the decisions. However, I will say that I hope we dont waste time negotiating a contract for Sammy. Hudler and Leino are better and younger.