• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wmubronco420

Stanley Cup Finals Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

large.png vs. large.png

Regular Season Matchups(1-1)

11/11/08: Pittsburgh def. Detroit 7-6(OT)

2/8/09: Detroit def. Pittsburgh 3-0

Playoff Stats

DET

GPG: 3.69

GA/G: 2.12

S/G: 39.5

SA/G: 28.8

PP: 25.7%

PK: 73% :nervous:

PIT

GPG: 3.82

GA/G: 2.76

S/G: 34.9

SA/G: 28.8

PP: 19.3%

PK: 83.6

Well now that its set in stone i figured we could make a thread to keep all the pre-series discussions, predictions and thoughts.

my personal favorite storyline going in is the goalie matchup:

Ozzie: 2.06 GAA, 925sv. vs. MAF: 2.62, .906sv%

...so much for our weak link

340x.jpg

Edited by wmubronco420

large.png vs. large.png

Well now that its set in stone i figured we could make a thread to keep all the pre-series discussions, predictions and thoughts.

my personal favorite storyline going in is the goalie matchup:

Ozzie: 2.06 GAA, 924sv. vs. MAF: 2.62, .906sv%

...so much for our weak link

+1

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, assuming we get our guys back from injury, which I think we will, we have great forwards, better forward depth, much better defense and a better goalie.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, has the 2 best offensive players in the league. I'll take the better team over the better 2 players any day.

I believe we have to get Dats and Lidstrom back to 90% or better to beat the pens this year.I hope like all of us we are the first team to go back to back in the cap era.i'am more worried this year than last,but I still believe we beat them unless we have a total break down.

EDIT# You kinda wonder if Dats and Nick could have went today,but were just resting for the finals unless we went to game 6.

Edited by cupcrazy

Its quite simple. Keep Cindy and Malgoon in check. and The Pens look weak. Media hype does not win Stanley Cups.

Wings in 5... yes Thats right. I said 5

Go Wings!!!!!!!!!!

It will be a GREAT series. Tighter than a nuns butt every game. The pens are a great team.

I expect Hossa to play like a man possessed in this series.

Said it before and said it again.. Pens look more dangerous then last year.. Malkin and crosby looking better this year Plus the addition of Kunitz (I miss him :( ), Adams, and Guerin..

Yes there are Negative Hossa but the play of malkin, crosby and deadline pickups make up for his loss.

Sure you can argue D wins cups but there D has not been the worst.. of course it has not been as good as the wings D but you can not right them off just because of this reason.

In the end .. Whoever wins takes it in 7.

I'm really hoping Hossa brings his game up even more than he has these past 2 games. Ripping Pittsburgh a new one, and their fans :) I Would love to see him rip another backhander from the top of the circles right past Fluery. Heres for a healthy return of Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

forgot to mention my prediction... im gonna go with wings in 6 once again. If we get datsyuk and lidstrom back i dont think pittsburgh really has a chance, though they will still be all close games. Ozzie with the conn smythe :)

All hinges on whether we get back Lids or not. As good as Stuart, Kronner and the others have been in his absence, we NEED him if we are going to have any chance of shutting down Crosby and Malkin.

To hear that he's walking around with a limp makes me worried.

Without Lids: Pens in 7.

With Lids: Wings in 5.

Pittsburgh is better than last year.

But the Wings have absolutely dominated all playoffs long. I worry about the Pens, I really do. But there's been this feeling this entire run that the Wings are sort of destined to do this. Pittsburgh will make a series of it, for sure, but the Wings have responded to every single threat and overcome, and they've faced a variety. Two young upstart teams (one of which is very good) that probably play similar to the Pens, plus a physical and dominating team in Anaheim.

I think as long as we get Lidstrom and Datsyuk back (which I think we will) the Wings will win this series, but it will be very hard fought.

So yeah, I'm more scared than I have been except for maybe Anaheim, but part of me feels reassured that the Wings just keep coming no matter what's thrown in their way.

EDIT:

More specifically, Ozzie will outperform Fleury again, and our defense will stifle much of their offense. Our offense will keep clicking.

I think we may even beat them withotu Hossa or Datsyuk or Zetterberg scoring, but I'd like to have those fellas on board.

Edited by VM1138

All hinges on whether we get back Lids or not. As good as Stuart, Kronner and the others have been in his absence, we NEED him if we are going to have any chance of shutting down Crosby and Malkin.

To hear that he's walking around with a limp makes me worried.

Without Lids: Pens in 7.

With Lids: Wings in 5.

I know, in the absence of lids stuart and kronwall have looked like elite defenseman at times IMO. If they keep that up while bringing back the best D-man in the league as well as the best defensive forward in the game. It would give us a HUGE advantage in terms of defensive depth.

Edited by wmubronco420

This series is going to come down to one thing... and one thing only..... HOW HEALTHY ARE WE?

If we get everyone back (lids,dats and Erics) we stand a really good chance.. without them we are screwed.

HEALTHY wings in 6

unhealthy..............?

This series is going to come down to one thing... and one thing only..... HOW HEALTHY ARE WE?

If we get everyone back (lids,dats and Erics) we stand a really good chance.. without them we are screwed.

HEALTHY wings in 6

unhealthy..............?

Ericsson will be back. Laparoscopic appendectomy is a near instant recovery.

Ducks played so hard and were so tough to get past. I truly believe that if we could beat the Ducks, then we can beat the Penguins.

Edited by FedorovGurl

Ducks played so hard and were so tough to get past. I truly believe that if we could beat the Ducks, then we can beat the Penguins.

I agree, but we were relatively healthy for the ducks. Need Lids SO bad. I think we could survive a few more games w/o Dats, but Lids will be needed to stop their top guys.

This is going to be a hard-fought series without a doubt. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see it go to 7 games and I honestly think it's a tossup right now given our injury situations. I could see it going either way, but I feel like neither time is going to go home feeling like it wasn't a great series on every level. This is going to take the best effort from both teams and I have little doubt that they'll bring it. This may become the best finals in years. I'm pumped.

Scary thing for Wings: injuries, Malkin and Crosby are only better this year, Pittsburgh's going to be even hungrier, they're a more balanced and experienced team this year

Scary thing for Pens: Hossa seems to just be finding his game, if Dats and Lids return and are even close to 100% we're a superior team, Osgood's the best goalie in the playoffs and is playing perhaps the best hockey of his career, our depth guys continue to find ways to contribute

Again, I'm thinking 7 games, and I can't make a call now. I'll know better after game 2.

Not overly worried about the Pens.

The Pens were high flying and looked unstoppable last year as well but now they are down 1 Hossa and We are up 1 Hossa.

Certainly I would say Malkin has stepped up his game, Crosby is about the same, If healthy Lids can effectively remove one of them. We now have Big E and Helm has stepped up to another level, Flip and Huds are also a notch above last year and Clearly is a full notch up. I think E can handle Malkin if he is on his game although this will have to be proven obviously. Sammy is Sammy and seems to play the same game every time. The Mule is who he is come playoffs. Watch out of Dats wakes up for this series and is Healthy.

Health will be a factor and certainly make things easier if this couple days is enough to get healthy. I think the Pens come out hot and heavy like the Hawks did but get worn down by 3rd Period and more as the series drags.

If Wings are healthy Wings maybe in a Sweep (if they show to play all 60 minutes each game)5 at most, partly healthy Wings in 6 again.

Loose another key forward or D man it's a toss up.

Pens are still alot like the Hawks.

I think it will be a good series to watch but I do not feel all the stress that other posters have stated.

Gooooo Wings!!

I'm a little worried about the quick turnaround and getting our guys back. If not for that, Wings in 6. Given the uncertainty, I'm going Wings in 7. Pens have the benefit of having been smoked by us a couple of games in last year's SCF - but I still don't think it will be enough....playing in the East will only get you so far. :)

I agree that the Ducks were probably the toughest team in the playoffs. However, that series and this one against the Hawks have clearly taken their toll on this team.

I don't believe that the Pens could beat a fully healthy and rested Wings team. But a bruised, decimated and tired Wings team? That is a different story.