• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

96warrior

Holland waiting for 09-10 cap (update on contract offers)

Rate this topic

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/06/re...lland_says.html

Red Wings GM Ken Holland says negotiations with free agents must wait until 09-10 cap determined, leans toward Jimmy Howard as Chris Osgood's back-up

Posted by George James Malik June 23, 2009 03:50AM

Red Wings GM Ken Holland told both the Windsor Star's Dave Waddell and MLive.com's own Ansar Khan that he can't really move in terms of making contract offers to free agents-to-be Marian Hossa, Mikael Samuelsson, Tomas Kopecky, Darren McCarty, Aaron Downey, or Ty Conklin until the NHL firms up its salary cap figure for the 09-10 season:

June 23, Windsor Star: "Until I know the cap, it's hard for me to do anything," said Holland, who expects the cap to remain around US$56-million.

Holland also shot down a report that Mikael Samuelsson had turned down an offer from the Wings.

That would be USA Today's Kevin Allen's report.

"I haven't made an offer to anybody," Holland said. "Never negotiated with Samuelsson. I haven't been in a position to make any offers (to unrestricted free agents)."

Holland did make qualifying offers to restricted free agents Jiri Hudler and Ville Leino.

The Wings are also still undecided on whether they'll re-sign free agents Darren McCarty and Aaron Downey to new two-way deals.

This surprises me a bit:

As for free-agent goaltender Ty Conklin, it sounds like the Wings are likely to go with homegrown prospect Jimmy Howard next season.

"We feel good about Howard, spent four years developing him. Given Jimmy's age and the four years we spent in development, the next stop is the NHL.''

Holland reiterated his comments to MLive.com's own Ansar Khan:

June 23, MLive.com: Holland has made qualifying offers to Hudler and forward Ville Leino in order to retain their rights. He said he has not made any other offers since the end of the season and has not had talks with Samuelsson's agent.

"I haven't been in a position to make any offers,'' Holland said. "Until I know the cap, I don't know what I got to spend.''

Holland said he hasn't decided whether to offer contracts (two-way deals) to forwards Darren McCarty and Aaron Downey, who spent most of the season with AHL affiliate Grand Rapids.

He also must settle on a backup goaltender, whether to make an offer to veteran Ty Conklin, who is unrestricted, or go with young Jimmy Howard, who is out of minor-league options.

"We feel good about Howard, spent four years developing him,'' Holland said.

As for Marian Hossa?

Because the Red Wings have little salary cap space, their offer to Hossa is not expected to average much more than $4 million a season. It could be as long as 10 years, structured similarly to the front-loaded deals signed by Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen, where the player earns $1 million per season toward the end of the pact, lowering the cap hit.

Hossa could get a higher average salary elsewhere, but probably not as lengthy a deal. The term could work in Detroit's favor. Hossa, who has stated all season that he wants to remain in Detroit, might opt to sign, for example, a 10-year, $40 million pact with the Red Wings as opposed to a six-year, $36 million deal with another club.

.....what does that mean......

"qualifying offers"

.......what does THAT mean?!

Why is the rest of the US asleep right now?! I want....no....I NEED to know!

..."qualifying offers"....WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!?!?!......

...(ok, I've put the Miller Lite down...it is off to bed and halibut fishing in the morning)

BUT...if someone tells me what it means, that would be grand! :thumbup:

Edited by HudlerFanatic

"qualifying offers"

...(ok, I've put the Miller Lite down...it is off to bed and halibut fishing in the morning)

A qualifying offer is just an offer made to an RFA in order to keep them an RFA. It's like 110% of their contract if they were making less than 660k and 105% if they were making more than that up to a million, then 100% if they were making a million or more. I think.

Edited by SeeinRed

A qualifying offer is just an offer made to an RFA in order to keep them an RFA. It's like 110% of their contract if they were making less than 660k and 105% if they were making more than that up to a million, then 100% if they were making a million or more. I think.

:blink: Whats a qualifying offer?

It would certainly be an interesting situation having an Ozzie/Howard tandem. Ozzie wouldn't be able to get away with a lackluster regular season performance and rely on Howard the way he could rely on Conklin. At the same time, Howard should see a great deal of regular season games and know that the Wings' organization expects more from our backup goaltenders. The pressure will be a bit greater on both our no. 1 and no. 2 this year if this turns out to be the case.

It would certainly be an interesting situation having an Ozzie/Howard tandem. Ozzie wouldn't be able to get away with a lackluster regular season performance and rely on Howard the way he could rely on Conklin. At the same time, Howard should see a great deal of regular season games and know that the Wings' organization expects more from our backup goaltenders. The pressure will be a bit greater on both our no. 1 and no. 2 this year if this turns out to be the case.

Howard will probably be the backup, as I have been saying all along. Osgood likely sees around 60-65 games in this case. Possibly more or less, depending on the performance of the two.

Ozzie could move as high as 7th in wins all-time next season, and 4th the year after that. I'd like to see someone argue why he doesn't belong in the HOF with those kind of win numbers and his career winning percentage, plus no losing seasons.

EDIT: How long do you think it would take for Ozzie to get 28 more shutouts? That would put him 9th All-Time. 35 more would jump him to a tie for 5th. He's currently 12th with 49. CuJo is 11th with 51. Esposito and Belfour are tied at 9th with 76.

Edited by eva unit zero

I'm fine with parting with Samuelson and Hudler as long as we can keep Hossa. I'd like to either keep Huds or Filps but if that is not an option than I want to giv Hossa another chance. I know what everyone has been saying about him this season and his performance in the playoffs but I think he is a good quality player and now that he has got some Wings Playoff Experince under him he will be much better next season for us.

As for the other big worry of mine is our goaltending situation. I really want to give Howard a chance to prove he can play in the NHL but if he can't play in the NHL or at least not with the Wings we would have already done something with Conklin and we'll be searching for another No. 2 goalie. Conklin has proven himself as a great back-up with the Wings so I would love to see us keep him but than than leaves Howard out in the cold.

I trust the Wings decision making and I feel they know what they want and know what they are doing so I support their decisions in whatever they do.

Ozzie could move as high as 7th in wins all-time next season, and 4th the year after that. I'd like to see someone argue why he doesn't belong in the HOF with those kind of win numbers and his career winning percentage, plus no losing seasons.

EDIT: How long do you think it would take for Ozzie to get 28 more shutouts? That would put him 9th All-Time. 35 more would jump him to a tie for 5th. He's currently 12th with 49. CuJo is 11th with 51. Esposito and Belfour are tied at 9th with 76.

28 shutouts is a big number, especially with the Central division getting stronger. I would love to see it happen, but I don't expect to.

i am not trying to knock oz as our number 1 in any way... but just a what if...

what if howard just tears it up out of nowhere and plays great? i just feel like everyone has completely given up on him but you never know what can happen. his ahl stats arn't pretty but maybe as we speak he is training his ass off knowing his chance in the nhl is finally coming. i would like to see what this kids got. i have faith in osgood if he bombs any way.

"qualifying offers"

Qualifying offer = you keep right (to match any offer) for RFA, if they are going to sign (and you don't match offer) with another team you are getting compensation (draft picks)

If you don't qualify offer, RFA will became UFA...

i am not trying to knock oz as our number 1 in any way... but just a what if...

what if howard just tears it up out of nowhere and plays great? i just feel like everyone has completely given up on him but you never know what can happen. his ahl stats arn't pretty but maybe as we speak he is training his ass off knowing his chance in the nhl is finally coming. i would like to see what this kids got. i have faith in osgood if he bombs any way.

Not happening.

Only thing I have to say is Jimmy Howard as backup = fail. :ph34r:

I don't like this idea, I am sorry.

I just don't think hes got what it takes, I say trade him.

I'd tend to be in agreement with this. Also, wasn't Coklin quoted as saying he wants to stay and would take less to do so?

How long do you think it would take for Ozzie to get 28 more shutouts? That would put him 9th All-Time. 35 more would jump him to a tie for 5th. He's currently 12th with 49. CuJo is 11th with 51. Esposito and Belfour are tied at 9th with 76.

Around 8.5 seasons. Osgood averages 3.26 SO's per season over his career.

The cap is going up -- Revenues were up about 5% during the regular season, and there were a LOT of long series in the playoffs.

That would be awesome, meaning the cap could be upto 3 million dollar higher, we could keep Hossa and Hudler or Sammy.

I'm not sold on Howard yet, and I know time has run out. If we can keep a veteran like Conklin, then so be it. It's easier to platoon to vets than to overplay your starter in the reg season like SJ does with Nabokov only to see him fizzle in the post-season.

I hope we can keep Hossa and Huds. To me, Sammy is gone.

I'm anxious to find out the cap number and for July 1 to arrive. . . hell, I'm ready for next season. The Cup was ours. Now it will be fun to watch the Pens be just another Cup champ that doesn't make the playoffs next year. . . yeah, I know, wishful thinking, but maybe that would shut NBC up about their man-crush with 87 and 71.

Lidstrom hoists the Cup in June 2010 and calls it a career.

To me, it still doesn't seem like Babs and Kenny are sold on Howard, which is a major concern for me. Last year would have been the perfect situation to bring up a young goalie and let him develop as a backup. The fact that Kenny brought in Conklin instead, combined with the fact that he's considering bringing him back this year tells me that they aren't satisfied with Howard's development.

I think training camp may be Howard's last shot with the Wings. If he doesn't show improvement, it may be time to trade Howard and commit to Larsson or McCollum

Howard will probably be the backup, as I have been saying all along. Osgood likely sees around 60-65 games in this case. Possibly more or less, depending on the performance of the two.

You and all the rest of us who understand how minor league options work and who watch the way the Wings deal with their prospects.

I'm interested what part of the articles posted led the OP to conclude Holland is "leaning toward Howard as backup"? Leaning implies there's some doubt expressed by Holland. Those articles make it pretty clear that Holland has all but settled on Howard.

Conklin isn't going to be around to sign come training camp. He'll be grabbed up sometime in July.

We could keep 3 goalies can we?? i mean, have ozzie and conks and give howard a chance in some games to prove if he can.. if he can't then we stay with ozzie/conks and if he proves he is a goalie for the red wings, then we trade conklin (i hope this DOESN'T happen)

STAY WITH US CONKLIN!!