• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manoir

Declining interest in hockey-Canada

Rate this topic

Pretty interesting stuff...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/090807/cana...y_study_alberta

CALGARY (CBC) - Immigration and wide-ranging entertainment choices are to blame for a waning interest in professional hockey by Canadian teens, suggests research done in Alberta.

The percentage of teens who say they follow the National Hockey League closely has dropped from 45 per cent to 35 per cent since 1992, according to the survey of more than 5,500 teens.

"What these findings point to is the fact that the entertainment choices of young people and the rest of us have exploded," said author and sociologist Reginald Bibby of the University of Lethbridge.

He said if kids and their parents aren't brought up with hockey, they don't follow the game.

"Growing numbers of teens have come to Canada from countries where their sports choices have been led by soccer and basketball."

James Penner, an associate director of the study, said the NHL should have tickets that are more affordable and teams that are more competitive and entertaining to build up its teenage fan base.

The survey results are published in a new book called The Emerging Millennials.

Antoine Roberge, 15, who was skateboarding at a park in Calgary, said he only occasionally watches hockey.

"People have better things to do than watch hockey," he said.

Riley Reed said the NHL lockout in 2004 turned him off hockey, and he switched to watching poker.

"The rules and the style of play: it's just not as fun as it used to be," he said.

Skateboarder Peter Dang said he and his friends spend their time skiing, snowboarding and golfing but not playing hockey.

"Unless you're fairly well off and have parents that can support it, alternatives like skateboarding and even snowboarding is probably, I can imagine, a little bit more affordable," he said.

But Thomas Weber, a parent from southwest Germany, said interest in ice hockey in Europe is growing.

"The parents, the other people, they like sports which is very fast so ice hockey is very interesting for this because it is the fastest team game in the world," he said.

Weber was in Calgary with his sons, aged six and 12, at a summer hockey training camp. He said they usually travel to Switzerland or the Czech Republic, but his sons asked to train in Canada this year.

Antoine Roberge, 15, who was skateboarding at a park in Calgary, said he only occasionally watches hockey.

"People have better things to do than watch hockey," he said.

Says the skateboarder...

Teenagers in Calgary for the most part of dirtbags, and whenyou have to put up with the Flames product, those numbers dont surprise me.

Try checking in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto though. Numbers will be much higher.

Actually, I think this study covered every age group and Calgary had the highest percentage of people who follow hockey at 48%, Toronto was last at 20%. Here's an additional link.

http://news.globaltv.com/sports/Canada+lov...9895/story.html

Canada's love of hockey waning: survey finds

It seems a heretical claim to make at a time when there is a high-stakes fight over bringing a U. S. hockey franchise to Canada, but a new sociological survey suggests that interest in the National Hockey League has been declining over the past two decades.

"It's one of the few Canadian myths we have, this alleged [nationwide] love of hockey," says Reginald Bibby, a sociologist at the University of Lethbridge, who says his findings debunk the myth.

The largest proportion of fan losses is occurring among teenagers, in a trend which he says calls into question the game's endurance as our national winter sport. "We can no longer take it for granted that growing up in Canada means you're going to be in love with hockey, or with the NHL specifically," said Prof. Bibby, whose findings draw on a nationally representative sample of more than 5,500 teens.

Between 1990 and 2005, the percentage of adults who "very" or "fairly" closely follow the NHL dropped to 30% from 36%. Among teens, fandom during the 1992 to 2008 period--fell fully 10 points, to 35% from 45%.

Prof. Bibby says the findings, published in his new book The Emerging Millennials, suggest that immigration patterns, as well as the explosion of entertainment options, are reprogramming the national DNA.

His sociological explanation for the phenomenon is that the "death of the monoculture" has led to a splintering of individual interests, with more consumer choices leading to fewer pastimes that are truly embraced on a national level.

While hockey may still be the country's favourite, compared with other sports, he notes that the sheer number of choices reduces the actual numbers of avid followers.

According to the research, it is not just hockey that suffering; the findings demonstrate that professional sports of every stripe are losing their appeal among young supporters.

In the early 1990s, 33% of teens followed Major League Baseball compared with just 10% today; youth interest in the National Basketball Association is lower now (21%) than before the league expanded into Canada (27%); and football has seen teen fan decreases in both the American and Canadian leagues -- a drop to 19% from 26% for the NFL, and to 14% from 22% for the CFL.

Although an impressive one million Canadians tuned in to some part of the recent NHLdraft, Prof. Bibby said this only represents about three per cent of Canada's "hockey-mad" population.

In Toronto, youth support for professional hockey was conspicuously lower than in any of Canada's six NHL cities: 20% of teens, compared with 34% in Edmonton, 41% in Ottawa-Gatineau, 44 % in Vancouver, 45% in Montreal and 48% in Calgary.

Prof. Bibby suggests these regional differences stem from a combination of the Toronto Maple Leafs' poor performance, game inaccessibility, and higher immigration rates.

According to his research, four in 10 Canadian teens with Canadian-born parents followed pro hockey either "very" or fairly" closely. Among those born here but whose parents were born elsewhere, the proportion dropped to one-third.

For teens born outside Canada, interest bottomed out at one in five

Edited by Manoir

Actually they had a report on this study on TV and Calgary had the highest percentage of people who follow hockey at 48%, Toronto was last at 20%(maybe because it has the most immigrants?)

Woah, wow, didnt expect that at all. Probably because of the immigrants, and the population. Plus it's easy to see hockey up here and become invovled, so I guess it isnt that surprising, I just dislike the hell out of Calgary :lol:

Here's a story from The Star about the same subject from back in June. From the sound of things, Canada will soon be the soccer capital of the world. :P

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/650776

Sorry for just the link and not the whole story, but my computer skills are just slightly behind my social skills. And I'm also really lazy too.

Here's my favorite.

Riley Reed said the NHL lockout in 2004 turned him off hockey, and he switched to watching poker.

"The rules and the style of play: it's just not as fun as it used to be," he said.

What, was trick-shot pool a rerun that week?

who cares if a bunch of foreigners don't like hockey.

:huh: I hope you care if Canadian interest in hockey is waning. Revenues from the Canadian team are worth something like 30% of the league's income (don't quote me on that figure, but it's a significant percentage). With the salary cap in place, it's in the American teams' best interests to be concerned with Canadian revenues.

Guest Shoreline
who cares if a bunch of foreigners don't like hockey.

Bout as bright as the bottom of the ocean.

I can see why it's a big deal as to why hockey has a lesser following in Canada today but it could be a number of legitimate issues such as increasing amount of other interests expanding, as well as simple fluctuations in interest shifting back and forth. It could be that not many Canadian teams have won a cup since 1992, when the OP's article cites it. If another wins it, guaranteed that number skyrockets. It's not very ambiguous that most hockey markets fluctuate, themselves, based on how well they do. Then there's a few that have a sucky ass market whether or not they win, and those that have a great market whether or not they suck. I don't see it as alarming as many do. Removing hockey from Canada is like removing corrupt politicians NASCAR or the MLB from the US. It's unpossible!

Edited by Shoreline

The population of Canada (just like everywhere else) has increased since 1992 so it's probably a wash anyways.

I think you got a point. Take Vancouver for instance. Its has become one of the most dynamic and culturally diverse cities in the world. I really enjoy the international element of the city and its population. But in certain parts of town, as a Yank, I'm hard pressed to find a good 'ole Canuck around anywhere. It can be all Asians, East Indians, Russians, etc. That in itself is not a problem, its just the way it is.

The releveant point of that is the influx of foreigners brings down the overall percentage of the population that are hockey fans. I don't see that as being a problem. Its only a problem if the raw numbers are shrinking, not if the ratio or percentage is shrinking.

I think you got a point. Take Vancouver for instance. Its has become one of the most dynamic and culturally diverse cities in the world. I really enjoy the international element of the city and its population. But in certain parts of town, as a Yank, I'm hard pressed to find a good 'ole Canuck around anywhere. It can be all Asians, East Indians, Russians, etc. That in itself is not a problem, its just the way it is.

The releveant point of that is the influx of foreigners brings down the overall percentage of the population that are hockey fans. I don't see that as being a problem. Its only a problem if the raw numbers are shrinking, not if the ratio or percentage is shrinking.

This. Places like Vancouver and TO are incredibly diverse, meaning that huge chunks of the population haven't ever grown up with hockey. Calgary's a lot more heterogeneous, which probably factors a lot into why it's one of the leaders in hockey followings.

Could be a financial thing too. Soccer's so popular because you can pretty much drop a ball onto any patch of dirt and play. Hockey requires a pretty considerable monetary commitment, which I would think makes it a lot more difficult to get involved and develop and interest in the game.

Well, I have a couple of issues with this survey and the conclusions drawn from it. Concerning a high percentage of immigrants in Toronto = low hockey interest, how do you explain Vancouver then? Hongcouver has a large number of immigrants as well, and still they seem to be retaining alot of hockey interest. And then secondly, from my own experience with Toronto's immigrant population, the second generation kids really do get into hockey. I think the problem is that the NHL doesn't reach out to the 1st gen immigrants, who seem much more interested in watching basketball.

But then the NHL seems totally inept at reaching out to Americans, so why should I even bother?

Well, I have a couple of issues with this survey and the conclusions drawn from it. Concerning a high percentage of immigrants in Toronto = low hockey interest, how do you explain Vancouver then? Hongcouver has a large number of immigrants as well, and still they seem to be retaining alot of hockey interest.

Soccer is growing immensely in popularity in Vancouver, particularly now that the Whitecaps are slated to enter MLS. Moving their home pitch to BC Place is going to contribute to that further, I think.

Soccer is growing rapidly in Canada and the US. I love Hockey but I fear that Butman is hurting it in Canada because they don't have franchises in cities like Winnipeg, Quebec City, Hamilton. Hell I think cities like Seattle, Milwaukee and even Grand Rapids should have a NHL franchise before Phoenix, Atlanta & Miami.