No registered users viewing this page.

40#1Fan

Patrick Kane Arrested

Rate this topic

Plea Deal Ahead For Kane?

Blog: KK Hockey By Paul

08/18/09 at 11:40 AM ET | Comments (0)

from Gene Warner of the Buffalo News,

Hockey star Patrick Kane and his cousin are expected to avoid criminal charges in a plea deal being hammered out, after both men are expected to be indicted this week on misdemeanor criminal charges, law enforcement sources said Monday.

Those sources also said the most likely plea deal would involve the Kanes either pleading guilty to a violation — maybe harassment or disorderly conduct — or being granted an adjournment that could have the charges later dropped.

Neither of those scenarios likely would involve any jail time for the two cousins.

If I get drunk and beat up a cabbie, I go to jail for that since I'm not famous and loaded. Since Patrick Kane is somewhat well-known (to hockey fans anyway) and has a few quid in the bank, he will avoid jail time.

And who said there's no upside to having money?

If I get drunk and beat up a cabbie, I go to jail for that since I'm not famous and loaded. Since Patrick Kane is somewhat well-known (to hockey fans anyway) and has a few quid in the bank, he will avoid jail time.

And who said there's no upside to having money?

No s***. They say money can't buy happiness, but it can sure keep your ass out of jail!

(no jail = happy)

esteef

Guest CaliWingsNut
I know Avery got six games PLUS anger management for talking crap for saying "sloppy seconds." That's not even a swear word or anything R-rated. Unlike what Kane did, Avery did not break the law. Avery didn't even break league rules and Bettman and his minions were just about to stone him to death. But Kane is still the little darling that everyone loves and the NHL wants no part in him being suspended.

Wow.... Just..... wow.

Due to my past contributions to this thread I'll just suggest you read a bit more about what Avery was really suspended for.

From TSN :

The district attorney in Buffalo says he expects a grand jury to announce charges today against Chicago Blackhawks star Patrick Kane, who is accused of beating up a cab driver over a fare. Kane and his cousin James Kane were arrested Aug. 9 after 62-year-old cabbie Jan Radecki told police they attacked him when he said he didn't have 20 cents change for the fare. The Kanes pleaded not guilty to robbery and misdemeanour counts of theft and criminal mischief.

Wow.... Just..... wow.

Due to my past contributions to this thread I'll just suggest you read a bit more about what Avery was really suspended for.

Being an attention-seeking imbecile with exceedingly poor taste?

An Erie County grand jury has passed on felony charges against Blackhawks star winger Patrick Kane but indicted him and his cousin this afternoon on misdemeanor harassment and theft charges.

Erie County District Attorney Frank Sedita said in a statement: “Patrick Kane will not be prosecuted more leniently or more harshly because he is employed as a hockey player.†The charges come following testimony from “all known witnesses, including a witness suggested by defense counsel,†according to the statement.

They grand jury dismissed the second degree robbery charges lodged last week, but indicted both Patrick Kane, 20, and James Kane, 21, for third degree assault and theft of services, both misdemeanors, as well as harassment, a lower level offense.

Kane and his cousin are to be arraigned 2 p.m. Thursday. They were arrested last week after an alleged latenight assault on a cabbie in Kane’s native Buffalo, N.Y.

After they were picked up from the nightlife district, the Kanes are accused of grabbing back the $15 they gave the driver when he said he was 20 cents short of giving them change for their $13.80 fare. The driver, Jan Radecki, has said in media interviews that the two then assaulted him.

Sedita told the Sun-Times Tuesday he was handling Kane’s case like any other.

“I will not give Mr. Kane any special treatment because he is a celebrity or a great hockey player,†Sedita said. “I’m just going to treat Mr. Kane like his last name is Mr. Smith.â€

Kane’s attorney could not be immediately reached for comment.

Oh yeah, you'll treat him like anyone else. We'll see about that. Ask Dany Heatly about that. Anyone else who did what he did would be in jail for vehicular manslaughter, he served not one day in jail.

Put your money where your mouth is, Mr. District Attorney.

Oh yeah, you'll treat him like anyone else. We'll see about that. Ask Dany Heatly about that. Anyone else who did what he did would be in jail for vehicular manslaughter, he served not one day in jail.

Put your money where your mouth is, Mr. District Attorney.

In fairness, I believe that the Snyder family asked for leniency since it obviously wasn't intentional despite being stupid.

Anyway, I don't think they'll treat Kane special because he's famous. I think they'll treat him like any other rich kid who has the money to buy his way out of the situation.

This is one of my favourite statements from this whole mess; from Toronto Star :

LoTempio told reporters Monday he believed the incident was blown out of proportion, suggesting Radecki had mistaken the Kanes for college kids when he picked them up at 4 a.m. Sunday in a nightclub district.

LoTempio said it is usual for cabbies to lock riders in the cab to make sure they pay.

Maybe a new law should be on the books, requiring all cab drivers carry multiple sets of sports cards, so they can ID there fares.

Now, keep in mind that Andrew LoTempio is the lawyer representing Jan Radecki, the cab driver who was assaulted. Mr. LoTempio's Blackhawks season tickets should be arriving any day now. And, with Chicago's recent history in mailing items, they will arrive late.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/crime/Kane_pl...onduct_20090827

NHL star Patrick Kane and his cousin James Kane have pleaded guilty to one count of disorderly conduct.

The charges stem from an incident earlier this month.

The Kanes had been accused of beating the cab driver after a dispute over a fare.

Patrick and James Kane have been sentenced to one year conditional discharge and they will issue an apology to cab driver Jan Radecki.

NHL star Patrick Kane and his cousin James Kane have pleaded guilty to one count of disorderly conduct.

The Kanes had been accused of beating the cab driver after a dispute over a fare.

Patrick and James Kane have been sentenced to one year conditional discharge and they will issue an apology to cab driver Jan Radecki.

One year conditional discharge?

1)Conditional discharge: Conditional discharge is a form of deferred adjudication in which the sentence is served with probationary conditions attached, under which the full penalty may be reinstated upon a violation of the terms of probation during the stated probationary period. Availablility of conditional discharge, conditions and lengths of probationary periods vary by state and by the individual case. It is more commonly used in cases of first offenders and juvenile offenders.

- definitions.uslegal.com

Or in common-tongue,

2)Conditional discharge: is a sentence passed by a court whereby the defendant is not punished provided he or she complies with certain conditions.

-wikipedia.org

1)Conditional discharge: Conditional discharge is a form of deferred adjudication in which the sentence is served with probationary conditions attached, under which the full penalty may be reinstated upon a violation of the terms of probation during the stated probationary period. Availablility of conditional discharge, conditions and lengths of probationary periods vary by state and by the individual case. It is more commonly used in cases of first offenders and juvenile offenders.

Or in common-tongue,

2)Conditional discharge: is a sentence passed by a court whereby the defendant is not punished provided he or she complies with certain conditions.

-wikipedia.org

So he's pretty much off the hook if he gives the cab driver a reach around? He better have his wigs ready.

Or in common-tongue,

-wikipedia.org

Pretty much all I got out of it :P

Oh wow. 1 year conditional discharge and they have to issue an apology. Poor widdle snowfwakes. They have to apowogize. :rolleyes:

God DAMN I hate how our justice system treats people who have money.

yeah its too bad there is no real punishment. I can only assume the NHL wont issue anything either. In all of this, Kane still has not claimed his innocence, or said that he didnt commit this pathetic act of violence.

His reputation is pretty tarnished, and i hope people dont let him forget it too soon. I believe in forgiveness and second chances, but the fact that he recieved less than a slap on the wrist for this is just pretty sad. He made an idiot out of himself and embarrassed himself and his family, which i HOPE is something that has an effect on him.

This question isn't directed to you, but to anyone who knows... how is going to play games in Canada? He won't be allowed to cross the border with a conviction; he can't pass for minimum of 5-years. I know, I have tried. Canada won't let me in their country and I have found a job there...

So I can't take the job, even.

Wonder if he gets "special treatment" because he's part of a billion dollar organization, NHL.?

Edited by Snazzy