• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

newfy

Wings sign Todd Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

I agree with some... why all the spurned feelings since Bert left for more money in Anaheim? Did Mathieu Schneider not do the same darn thing?? its simply a business choice, folks. it actually comforts me, in a sordid way, that Anaheim is still on the hook for some of his old salary.

Thank You .. we tried this once and it did not end well.... Why are we bringing back guys who bolted faster than

greased lightning at the 1st day of FA. He must not of liked playing here cause he did not give us a chance to re-sign him a couple years ago... So he's here cause no one else will sign him.

This kind of stuff just doesn't make sense to me. People said the same about Hossa this year and that didn't make any sense either. Realistically, our reasons for losing both years had little to do with Bertuzzi or Hossa. It had far more to do with injuries in key places and some flaky calls. In '07 against the Ducks, I think we win that series and the Cup if Schneider hadn't gone down. And I'm saying that even given the fact that I think Hasek was slowing down and had a terrible game 6 which clinched it for the Ducks. We also didn't have Kronwall for any of that post-season.

And this last year, for crying out loud, we had countless injuries to key guys and still made it to game 7 and lost by a goal!!! I'd say proportionally that's a bigger team accomplishment than our 2008 Cup victory. We had so many reasons to not go as far as we did this year but we still lost game 7 by 1 goal. That's pretty amazing when you consider the injuries.

The reality is, all of our teams lately have been great teams that have the components to win. In 2008 we had luck on our side and minimal injuries. We weren't so lucky in 2007 and especially 2009. But to pin it on guys like Bertuzzi and Hossa by making statements like, "we already tried this and it didn't work" is ridiculous. If we don't have the injuries and we win the Cup both years, suddenly Bertuzzi's the missing piece and Hossa's a hero as opposed to a scapegoat.

Silliness.

Hudler was set to get 3.5 mil this season. But now instead of that, we essentially have 3 players for 1. Hudler was good and all, but now we have Williams, Eaves and Bertuzzi for the same price as Hudler by himself. I love what Holland is doing.

Yep!

And the icing on the cake...all 1-year contracts that can be moved at the deadline if needed.

Again I state, if healthy I am 100% behind this signing, if healthy for part and on the IR for part I am 100% behind this signing. If healthy, then IR, then playing hurt I am not behind this signing.

I sound like a broken record here, but this stat has been ignored by EVERYONE that is happy with this signing...After the back injury in January he played 32 games with 4 goals and 13 points...

If he winds up with the same total stats as last year I am happy. But if he gets hurt in say November, and plays 50 games at that production we are now looking at about 6 goals and 20 points as his production for the majority of the season, which does not give the same stats...

an early back injury that he tries to play through makes him a very weak spot on the roster, and that is my concern.

plays alright defensively and is an enforcer

Ah ha, ah hahahahahaha. Bert has no defensive sense and the back of an 80-year-old woman, if we're going to consider him an enforcer we should have just not bothered and gotten Prospal for the same amount.

At least when he gets injured for 20-30 games Abdelkader will get in a good chunk of play.

Edited by Cern

I'm happy with this signing as well, but Bertuzzi is FAR from an enforcer.

Well, he did do a bit of enforcing on Steve Moore.

Nobody will mess with the Wings knowing that this guy is in the lineup. After all, who wants to get paralyzed?

Well, he did do a bit of enforcing on Steve Moore.

Nobody will mess with the Wings knowing that this guy is in the lineup. After all, who wants to get paralyzed?

The only person nowadays who would get paralyzed in a fight with Bertuzzi is Bertuzzi.

At least when he gets injured for 20-30 games Abdelkader will get in a good chunk of play.

well at least you can find something positive out of this signing... Abdelkader can also get another 10 games when Z's out with his own back problems and 10 more when Franzen is concussed from a roughing in a scrum

well at least you can find something positive out of this signing... Abdelkader can also get another 10 games when Z's out with his own back problems and 10 more when Franzen is concussed from a roughing in a scrum

So, Abby is going to play the gaps of three missing players?

Guest lnvincible
Bertuzzi was seriously the best we could do for a gritty player? Come on.

I dunno if you watch the wings as i do, but it seems hockey seems to be play play making then "toughness" as it used to be. Detroit is all about scoring and winning, not about fights and grit. All i know is that i am excited for this season to start~!

I dunno if you watch the wings as i do, but it seems hockey seems to be play play making then "toughness" as it used to be. Detroit is all about scoring and winning, not about fights and grit. All i know is that i am excited for this season to start~!

All the more reason we shouldn't have picked him up. The last two seasons are objective proof that the Wings can be immensely successful without the need of fighters and enforcers, why not spend the money used on Bert for someone who can actually stay healthy and demonstrates some defensive sense? Or use that money for a potential goalie pickup should Howard prove to be a bomb.

Edited by Cern

I'd have rather seen Taylor Pyatt or Mike Peca than Bertuzzi honestly. I think both would have been better fits for the Wings' playing style and bring just as much or more grit and physical play as well.

At $1.5m, Bertuzzi puts us about $970k over the cap with 13 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders. This is before assuming that Andreas Lilja will miss the entire season due to his concussion issues. Without Lilja, the Wings have about $279k available with a roster of 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders. The Wings also likely will lose one or more of Ryan Oulahen and Evan McGrath on waivers if they aren't traded first.

I'd have rather seen Taylor Pyatt or Mike Peca than Bertuzzi honestly. I think both would have been better fits for the Wings' playing style and bring just as much or more grit and physical play as well.

At $1.5m, Bertuzzi puts us about $970k over the cap with 13 forwards, 8 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders. This is before assuming that Andreas Lilja will miss the entire season due to his concussion issues. Without Lilja, the Wings have about $279k available with a roster of 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders. The Wings also likely will lose one or more of Ryan Oulahen and Evan McGrath on waivers if they aren't traded first.

I agree with you on this one...I would hope Lilja gets back, and if he does the Wings will be over cap.