• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

newfy

Wings sign Todd Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

My opinion...

...but I'd like to see what Bert can do for an entire season with this much talent on both sides of the blue line around him. He is big, only 34, and had a respectable NHL season for Calgary last year, a team that did not exactly have all their ducks in a row.

I think this will be a much better showing this time around, and I think we might be mildly surprised. Also, for all of those people asking for grit, this should make us happy with Big Rig and Bert in the lineup....two guys who can and will drop the gloves should make more room for the skill guys out there, and as others have stated, he should be motivated.

It could backfire, but I doubt it will.

Yeah, I think he would too...I don't know that he is physically capable of playing a full season...

He played on a brutal team too, calgarys GAA was even behind detroit if i remember correctly.

wrong again. Bert was -13 which was the WORST on thentire Flames team.

Conroy +20

Borque +18

Glencross +14

Sarich +12

Lombardi +11

Reghr +10

He wasn't -13 becuase the Flames sucked. He sucked.

There were only 3 players on the flames that were worse than -10 out of 32 skaters that played for them at least 1 game and Bert won the booby prize.

So that's your answer? +/- doesn't mean much? Wow.

I guess you can ignore the numbers that don't support your argument.

semantics?

Bertuzzi will be fine, if you don't like it, there will be plenty of dead air for you to cheer in when Williams is on the ice.

If +/- was as relevant as you seem to think it is, then you'd be complaining about paying Draper $1.6 million this season to achieve nothing (since his job is to be a responsible defensive forward and PKer).

OMG the sky is TOTALLY falling again (seems like it happens every year right around this time...)

I have a feeling alot of people here will be biting their tongues when, once again, everything works out. Holland's not an idiot, he didn't just start his job yesterday. He knows what he's doing and I'd trust him. If you think you could do it better, go apply for his job. I bet half of you guys would be a shoe in for that position...

Bottom line, Bert, Eaves, and Williams will ALL add depth to the line-up, while forcing our younger players to step up their games.

It boggles my mind every year to see all these fair-weather fans who sit and say Holland's failing or the Red Wings are going under. Have a little faith in your team and your GM. I'm pretty sure they want to win just as much as you want them to...

Bertuzzi will be fine, if you don't like it, there will be plenty of dead air for you to cheer in when Williams is on the ice.

If +/- was as relevant as you seem to think it is, then you'd be complaining about paying Draper $1.6 million this season to achieve nothing (since his job is to be a responsible defensive forward and PKer).

wow way to keep deflecting the real topic.

if you feel like draper sucks and his +/- is an indicator he should be off the team, then do it. but quit trying to make it your lame assed straw man argument for bertuzzi. all you strokes ask for reasons why people don't like bertuzzi, then people give you reasons and you just start being trolls about it.

I agree about Draper, he has become a defensive liability but like it or not, we are stuck with him but that is no excuse for signing another defensive liability. I don't care how big he is.

An the Williams signing really has nothing to do with Bert.

if you feel like draper sucks and his +/- is an indicator he should be off the team, then do it. but quit trying to make it your lame assed straw man argument for bertuzzi. all you strokes ask for reasons why people don't like bertuzzi, then people give you reasons and you just start being trolls about it.

Deflecting the real topic? so this thread is called "All we could find to ***** about was Bertuzzi being -13 last year, otherwise he's not so bad"?

I'm explaining to you why that's a pointless argument to make. Bertuzzi wasn't signed for his defensive abilities. Holland is kinda pro at this.

OMG the sky is TOTALLY falling again (seems like it happens every year right around this time...)

I have a feeling alot of people here will be biting their tongues when, once again, everything works out. Holland's not an idiot, he didn't just start his job yesterday. He knows what he's doing and I'd trust him. If you think you could do it better, go apply for his job. I bet half of you guys would be a shoe in for that position...

Bottom line, Bert, Eaves, and Williams will ALL add depth to the line-up, while forcing our younger players to step up their games.

It boggles my mind every year to see all these fair-weather fans who sit and say Holland's failing or the Red Wings are going under. Have a little faith in your team and your GM. I'm pretty sure they want to win just as much as you want them to...

I am a glass is half full guy and I agree that Kenny knows a hell of a lot more about it than anybody on here. My guess is that Bert will either spend alot of time riding the pine or he will learn to play defense and not take stupid penalties. Evidently Kenny and Babs think that they can make it happen but I don't understand why people are doing cartwheels over signing a guy that obviously is a rebuilding project.

Oh wait - he's big, I get it

I agree about Draper, he has become a defensive liability but like it or not, we are stuck with him but that is no excuse for signing another defensive liability. I don't care how big he is.

An the Williams signing really has nothing to do with Bert.

They'll just stick Bert on a line with Helm to cover his slow ass :)

finally somebody agrees with me...LOL

Long season ain't the word.

Wearing the winged wheel is a very, very special thing to me. And here we go bringing BACK this ass @ 1.5 mil or not ... Ugh.

The one guy to NEVER EVER EVER deserve to wear our jersey and he comes back for another, cause noone else wants him/he figures we will carry his ass to a Cup ring???

This is a stupid move. Kenny should have tried to get Vinny Lecavalier or Luke Schenn. Those are guys you win cups with, Bertuzzi is a bum.

luke schen is a guy you win a cup with c-mon man get real. lacavier yes but in order to get someone like him you have to give alot and it will destroy our teams chemistry ,because we would have to give up either z or pavs and financaily lacavier makes more than the both of them so no fit into salary cap land.with the money we have i think this is a good signing because bert knows in order to keep playing after this year he has to produce,hence the 1.5 signing because nobody else wanted to pay him that much.

Like I've said, a gamble but no worse than a lot of other gambles out there and that's all that's left at this point. We've done the best we could with the cards we were dealt this off-season. I think it'll go quite a bit better this year than some think. We added 3 guys that are capable of putting up points on the cheap. If they can turn it up and make it happen on some level, we're going to be a favorite this year again without a doubt. And again, this is one year. Next off-season we'll be in better shape.

Again, I really like the Eaves signing and I think there could be a lot of upside there. I don't really like the Williams signing but I don't hate it as much as most either; it's not a make it or break it signing for me. I'm not thrilled but I'm mostly positive about the Bertuzzi signing. We've still got a great group of guys that have done this for a bit and some real promising young kids coming up. And on top of that, we've got arguably the best playoff goalie in the game right now.

We're in good shape. This is going to be a great season.

The Red Wings medical staff is apparently impressed with Bert's condition, and his back problems seem to be as fixed as their going to get.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AqrL...p&type=lgns

I'll still be surprised if he doesn't miss 15-20 games, but again, I'm not complaining. Maybe it's not ideal, but it could be a lot worse.

The Red Wings medical staff is apparently impressed with Bert's condition, and his back problems seem to be as fixed as their going to get.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AqrL...p&type=lgns

berts problems arn't physical. I know he's got a wonkie back and that derails alot of what he can do, but berts best aspects took a nose dive the minute the moore incident happened. IF he can put some of those demons behind i really do feel he could be a very effective player.

What the hell does that have to do with Bertuzzi. Bert was -13 in 66 games last year and that sucks. Ok he's cheaper than Draper, but he still sucks defensively.

A few things are worth noting about that +/-:

1. No one on the Flames posted impressive +/- numbers (aside from Conroy's +20, Bourque's +18 and Glencross's +14):

....Iginla -2

....Cammalleri -2

....Phaneuf -11

....Jokinen -7 (in only 19 games)

(however it's worth noting that Bert's -13 was a team worst)

2. The team wasn't playing a very strong defensive system (as indicated by the poor +/- of his peers)

3. Bertuzzi also lead his team in giveaways (67, with Phaneuf's 64 GvA ranked 2nd). This will have to change if he plans on getting significant ice time in Babcock's system.

Bertuzzi didn't exactly have a terrible year last year, though:

1. 15 goals in 66 games (projects as ~19 goals over 82 games)

2. 44 points in 66 games (projects as ~55 pts over 82 games)

3. 6 PP goals (ranked 4th on the team)

4. 16 PP points (ranked 4th on the team, 3rd among forwards)

5. 4 GW goals (tied for 2nd on the team)

6. 1 OT goal (tied for 1st on the team)

7. 50% in Home Shootouts (ranked 1st on the team), 100% in Road Shootouts (ranked 1st on the team)

....Total: 2 goals on 3 shootout attempts (ranked 1st on the team)

....Game Deciding SO goals: 2 (ranked 1st on the team)

Just some stats to chew on.

Deflecting the real topic? so this thread is called "All we could find to ***** about was Bertuzzi being -13 last year, otherwise he's not so bad"?

I'm explaining to you why that's a pointless argument to make. Bertuzzi wasn't signed for his defensive abilities. Holland is kinda pro at this.

oh, thats an even better response. since we aren't hockey GM's we can't argue with holland... nice one! guess that elimiates like 97% of the posts on here. no more complaining about williams. no more complaining about maltby. no more complaining about the wings not having a fighter. ITS ALL OK FOLKS!!! according to mors, we don't argue with what holland does! might as well shut down lgw from june till october then....

as for it being a pointless argument, i actually pointed out several reasons i think bertuzzi is a bad signing. but i just happened to be agreeing with the gentleman that said his +/- was awful. since you so stunningly had no counter argument i felt the need to interject and show support. now if you want to debate whether or not bertuzzi is a bad signing because he is a gigantic definsive liability, be my guest. but quit being a putz and turning it into 'well draper sucks too' or 'holland makes no bad decisions ever' type threads.