• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

newfy

Wings sign Todd Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

Both of these points are great. (Thanks Nightfall (not too harsh) and Echolalia.)

I started coming to this forum because of the diversity of opinion when it comes to the team I love.

Sure, sometimes there are some "asshats" around, and they come and go as their fickle nature dictates,

but even the posters that I completely disagree with, I like to read what they have to say.

It puts things in perspective.

None of us are NHL GMs, so whatever we think and say, is just that -- what we think and what we spout off on.

Have I liked all of Ken Holland's moves over the years? Absolutely not.

Am I going to post things like: EPIC FAIL. Holland sucks. We're not even going to make the playoffs,

when Holland signs somebody like Jason Williams? Absolutely not.

Am I going to post something snarky, smart-alecy, or sarcastic as hell: Probably.

Is it totally constructive? Probably not, but part of coming to the boards is the fun factor.

Maybe somebody gets a kick out of it, gets a chuckle, spits their coffee out... whatever.

I am not against this signing.

Bertuzzi was not my first choice when it came to getting some grit for the team, but he was not my last choice either.

I really do hope he can stay healthy and provide an edge for this team that we so desperately need.

:clap:

These signings of Eaves/Williams/Bertuzzi kinda tells me that Holland/Nill/Babcock aren't overly impressed with what's in GR.

I think it's more that he doesn't want a team that's full of rookies. We're already starting the season with 4 rookies, I just can't imagine Holland wanting to have more unknowns than that.

These signings of Eaves/Williams/Bertuzzi kinda tells me that Holland/Nill/Babcock aren't overly impressed with what's in GR.

What they should tell you is that they think the kids in GR need more time and that is just what they need. The only ones from GR that are ready to move up this year is Leino, Helm, and Errickson. The others need more time down in GR. Especially Abdelkader who had a great rookie campaign with Haydar last season. It will be interesting if he can have more success with different linemates on the Griffins.

You know know by now that the Red Wings like to bring up their players through the farm system a lot more efficiently than other clubs. People will remember how Kronwall sat in the farm system as a dominant player in the AHL. I remember going to Griffins games and just knowing that Kronwall was ready to move up. Yet the Wings waited and let him come up only when he had outgrown that league. Gotta give the other kids in GR time to get better in the AHL.

I don't know what's more shocking; what he got paid last season or what he's going to get paid this season.

Just under $2 Million last season (plus buyout monies)

$1.5 this coming season.

What's your take CB? Do you think we're overpaying? or are we going to get our money's worth.

It'd be nice to think a certain reality is settling in around the league when it comes to contracts, lengths vs. cap hit, etc.

I mean, there's always going to be some GM out there that's going to overpay for a player because their market dictates it,

(New York and Montreal spring into mind first and foremost.)

Think about some of the lower amounts/shorter contracts that veteran players have taken this off season... although I guess age with some of these guys is also playing a factor.

Personally I'm really happy with the blend of new talent that will be on the roster this year (and by new I mean not on the 08/09 roster). Even though Im not a fan of Jason Williams, and was not happy when the signed him, his signing and the signings of Eaves and Bertuzzi help bring some veteran pressence to our forwards that although we already had some of a little more doesnt hurt with the infusion of youth into our lineup. Let's not forget that not only do we have Helm and Leino playing their first full season with the Wings but we also have Ericsson and Howard as well. I really think that bringing in Bertuzzi helps take off some pressure from Helm and Leino.

IMHO part of the reason Kronner spent extra time in GR was due to the 2004/2005 lock-out vs not being ready for the NHL...Either way he's developed quite well...I'm certainly no expert on what we got in GR, but I get the impression there's not a player ready for the NHL - other than Helm/Ericsson; to me Leino looked "okay", but I wasn't blown away...Abdelkader looks promising as well, but after him - what's left?

Holland's been pretty busy stocking up Grand Rapids.

Williams, Newbury, Abdelkader, Delmore and Janik have all done decently in the NHL.

Oulahan, Ritola, Pare, McGrath and Kindl (and Kolosov - I hope!) all have a chance of seeing some games as well.

What it should tell you is that Holland signed a bunch of one year deals with risky players because he has a lot of faith in the GR kids. But considering they haven't even played in the NHL it'd be pretty stupid to call them all up for a season, yes?

He made risky moves because he has faith that if they don't pan out, he can fall back on the kids.

okay. :ranting:

i am not too thrilled about this. im not a fan of bringing back players for second stints especially if the first wasnt too grand.

i think i found out the wrong way. i woke up not even a hour ago w/an email from one of my brothers simply saying "todd bertuzzi? you stay classy detroit"

i went to wings site (my homepage :thumbup: ) and i dropped my laptop on the carpeted floor. i am just honestly stunned.

after going thru this topic and reading up on all the happy people and the line combos (which will all be shifted no matter what at some point this season.. like around our usual slump time jan/feb)

im just mixed up now that i think about it. my roommates dont understand hockey at all and witnessed me going hysterical for a little while. they just suggested for me to start drinking even if it was before noon. (however, my philosophy is that if you are awake you can drink)

ive accepted this issue and all i can say is that this season just needs to start.

i see bert as a lilja- huge size but can take some dumbass penalties at really REALLY bad times

i see bert as a good fill for barely any money.

i do have one solid comment.. as long as bert does not pull a hossa (granted hossa is finesse and not gritty). we sign for a year for a player to show up and produce some key goals and get the goal tally up and then never really show up. that is the risk that is being taken. if tuzzi does pull a hossa, the organization is going to look silly.

but for a minor 1.5 mil, this does make some logical sense

IMHO part of the reason Kronner spent extra time in GR was due to the 2004/2005 lock-out vs not being ready for the NHL...Either way he's developed quite well...I'm certainly no expert on what we got in GR, but I get the impression there's not a player ready for the NHL - other than Helm/Ericsson; to me Leino looked "okay", but I wasn't blown away...Abdelkader looks promising as well, but after him - what's left?

Really? Helm has some definate potential (I mean, who didn't see his 30 second long PK keepaway game, that resulted in a SH scoring chance. That wasn't luck, and he's going to be an awesome special situations player (aka think old draper, with a bit more finesse). He works his ass off. Ericsson, yes, ready to be in the NHL, not top string, but a perfectly fine 3rd D pairing. Maybe even good enough to be on the 2nd D pair of many teams.

But I thought Leino was by far the best overall forward out of the three. Best offensive zone presence. Best hockey "smarts" when moving the puck. I honestly think Leino is the best fit to our system. I expect to see him hitting 20-30 goals a season very quickly. I'm not saying he'll ever be a Dats or a Zett, but to me, in my opinion, he's our most promising prospect so far as pure offensive ability goes.

Not sure if I'm following you...With the limited cap space just how will the Wings 'fall back on the kids'?...Roster changes would have to be made in order to fit whomever is called up from GR...I'm of the impression the 3 signings (Bert/Willy/Eaves) aren't expected to spend time down in the minors, but to fill out the 2nd/3rd forward lines (Eaves probably 4th line).

What I think is being alluded is:

If injury occurs, bring up some kids.

If "not panning out" comes into play, make some roster moves -- trade them away -- and bring up some kids.

That's what "fall back on the kids" means.

I agree that Bert, Willy, and Eaves will see no minor league time. Someone would ****** them up if there was any attempt to send them down. We'll see if they're all still on the roster come playoff time though...

Just under $2 Million last season (plus buyout monies)

$1.5 this coming season.

What's your take CB? Do you think we're overpaying? or are we going to get our money's worth.

It'd be nice to think a certain reality is settling in around the league when it comes to contracts, lengths vs. cap hit, etc.

I mean, there's always going to be some GM out there that's going to overpay for a player because their market dictates it,

(New York and Montreal spring into mind first and foremost.)

Think about some of the lower amounts/shorter contracts that veteran players have taken this off season... although I guess age with some of these guys is also playing a factor.

To me, he's one of those "law of diminshing returns" players; for what he's given in output on the ice in recent seasons (since the end of his Vancouver contract, where he bounced from Florida to Detroit), one million would have been plenty. Calgary saw the light and gave him less than half of what Anaheim paid him ($1.95M, down from $2.0M). I just think that $1.5M is too much. I hope his hand shakes on payday from guilt.

Moving players, and their salaries in todays league is always easier said than done...2010 playoffs is a long ways away, and I agree alot can happen between now, and then.

Absolutely, my man... on all accounts.

Hypothetical situations are abundant and abound.

What if Howard doesn't work out?

What if Bert gets injuried again?

What if Holmstrom is out?

What defenseman are we trading? Are we trading a defenseman?

Is Lils gonna play this year?

etc. and WORSE.

I'm not even going to throw out some scenarios because I wouldn't want to jinx any of our players and have it come back to haunt me.

...but I am of the school that would like to see some more of our prospects get more time in the NHL.

So if it's Tardiff, Oulahan, Ritola, Pare, McGrath, Kindl coming up for a few games here and there. Yay! I'm pumped.

(Abdelkader purposefully left out, because we know we'll be seeing him at some point this year.)

You would think everyone here would stand behind Ken Holland. Instead it looks like about 40% of the people don't stand behind his decisions. Hell, look at the success the Wings have had in the last 12 years. The Stanley Cups, the Conference Championships, the Presidents Trophies, and so on. After you look at that track record, how can you look at a deal Holland makes and say that Holland was a moron? Give the guy some credit and stand behind your team.

And how much success have the Wings had with the likes of Williams and Bertuzzi on the roster? At least there's the argument that Bertuzzi was injured in 07 and so he never really got a proper shot with the Wings, but we got rid of Williams for a reason - he sucked. Pulling him back into the roster is counterproductive, I would have rather introduced some new blood into the system instead of bringing back an on-ice cancer. That signing was seriously the one time to my recollection I've flat-out opposed a move by Holland, and I can't stand Bertuzzi.

Edited by Cern

Personally I feel these guys should get time in the bigs: Ericsson, Helm, Leino, and Abdelkader.

I'm still scratching my head on the Eaves signing; what can he do that'll be considerably better than the 3 forwards mentioned above?

I thnk that Eaves was signed because if he sits on the 4th line at 500k and doesnt progress it's no big loss. For Abdelkader (or any of your 3 forwards mentioned) to stunt their development by playing 5-8 mins a game hurts them (and us) in the long run. Plus at 500k it makes our cap work a little more easily than Abdelkader's $880k or so.

I think Eaves has dibs on 44.

I would think Bert would get that, due to being the veteran.

If they fight about it... can we have the tilt registered in our official fight totals for the year?

:ph34r:

Really? Helm has some definate potential (I mean, who didn't see his 30 second long PK keepaway game, that resulted in a SH scoring chance. That wasn't luck, and he's going to be an awesome special situations player (aka think old draper, with a bit more finesse). He works his ass off. Ericsson, yes, ready to be in the NHL, not top string, but a perfectly fine 3rd D pairing. Maybe even good enough to be on the 2nd D pair of many teams.

But I thought Leino was by far the best overall forward out of the three. Best offensive zone presence. Best hockey "smarts" when moving the puck. I honestly think Leino is the best fit to our system. I expect to see him hitting 20-30 goals a season very quickly. I'm not saying he'll ever be a Dats or a Zett, but to me, in my opinion, he's our most promising prospect so far as pure offensive ability goes.

Don't undersell Ericsson's potential. He's a top flight prospect at this point. He stepped in as a rookie and played top 4 minutes during the string of injuries in the playoffs. Not only did he do it well, he was impressive. During the playoffs Bob McKenzie was so impressed he said he thought Ericsson could win a Norris at some point in the next 10-15 years. That's pretty high praise for a kid that was drafted last overall- clearly he wasn't basing it on Jon's draft position (draft order based analysis being something that's far too common in the prospect rating community).

Edited by Drake_Marcus

What a waste of 1.5 million,this guy is useless,what were you thinking Holland?He doesnt hit(anymore)he doesnt backcheck and he takes stupid penalties.For those of you who think hes physical maybe you should watch him play sometime,ask any flame or Canuck fan.His best years are behind him,ever since the moore incident hes only been half the player he once was.