• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NickA

Bertuzzi SUCKS

Rate this topic

Perhaps it's just part of the natural progression of his play. First we wanted him to start playing with more confidence and that involves a bit of risk taking for him. He did that, much to our ire, but luckily the Wings still won and he got some confidence. Now the next step for him is can he play with some confidence for another game and maybe under a little more control.

For the price, he's ok. But I don't know about re-signing.

We're 71 games into the year and he still takes shifts off defensively, takes bad offensive zone penalties, turns the puck over, isn't as physical as he should be, and doesn't shoot the puck enough. He doesn't look like a guy playing for a new contract. And for a detail guy like Babcock, all those little things probably matter as much as the points.

It also shows what a bargain Sammy had been at 1.2 mill.

I am not so sure I would want him re-signed either. But for what he was this year and what he brought to the table, I am satisfied.

I wouldn't be firing up the grill for the crow just yet. Bert had a gimme goal last night, I wouldn't say his problems are solved. He had a great first half but hasn't done anything in the past 20 games before this one. Maybe playing with Flip and Z will get him going though, and I hope it does.

^ Indeed.

Players ebb and flow all the time, hopefully Bertuzzi won't hit a cold streak soon because these past few games (minus the brainfart turnovers in the Vancouver overtimes) he's been as good as could be asked for without contributing a lot of goals/points. Started looking better before his goal in Vancouver. Going to the net a bit more, creating space, finally starting to shoot a bit more again, etc.

I really can't believe he got that much ice time. I thought, "Oh, maybe he played on the PK." Nope. Yeah right. Maybe it's just that the Wings had more power plays last night than we've seen them have.

I really can't believe he got that much ice time. I thought, "Oh, maybe he played on the PK." Nope. Yeah right. Maybe it's just that the Wings had more power plays last night than we've seen them have.

Or, this years Bertuzzi with linemates and confidence can play 20 solid minutes a night. I hope Babs doesnt change the lines when Dano and Eaves come back.

Homer-Dats-Mule

Fil-Z-Bert

Miller-Willy-Dano

Eaves-Helm-Drapes

Beautyy

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

:thumbup:

We're 71 games into the year and he still takes shifts off defensively, takes bad offensive zone penalties, turns the puck over, isn't as physical as he should be, and doesn't shoot the puck enough. He doesn't look like a guy playing for a new contract. And for a detail guy like Babcock, all those little things probably matter as much as the points.

Bolded Part One: To be fair Bertuzzi certainly gets his fair share of reputation calls, A good portion of his penalties would not have been called on another player.

Bolded Part 2: As a former staunch supporter of Sammy all I have to say is :cool:.

Overall Bert has been good, and without question saved us a few games single handedly. The guy still has the ability to turn it on and be a dominant player in the league, to me it just seems to be a combination of mental and phyiscal problems. While obviously I no he will never be a top powerforward in the league ever again, I firmly belive that if he deals with his mental baggage and starts playing a physical game he could very well become another legit scoring threat. Bertuzzi has always been notoriously streaky, and if he is on a hot streak in the playoffs, he would be one of our most valuable players in those games. How huge would him playing like he did in Nov-Dec be in a tough playoff series? To me he is just the definition of X-Factor, and I am hopefull that he can at least show some more flashes of his former brillance.

Starting to click back on at the right time.

If we can get Datsyuk/Franzen/Homer and Zetterberg/Filpulla/Bertuzzi going this is going to be a nice home stretch.

:thumbup:

Or, this years Bertuzzi with linemates and confidence can play 20 solid minutes a night. I hope Babs doesnt change the lines when Dano and Eaves come back.

Well of course. You always hope for that. It's just that he was averaging 16 a game. Usually Pav and Z are the only forwards that have more than 20 minutes.

Well of course. You always hope for that. It's just that he was averaging 16 a game. Usually Pav and Z are the only forwards that have more than 20 minutes.

That is true, but Babs is a different guy. I dont think Bert will play 20+ every night when Eaves and Dano are back, but I could see 17-18 consistently.

now now harold...you are not suppose to say anything bad about him in a bert sucks thread. even though at the time he was sucking when this thread was made. have you not learned anything? geez

Overall Bert has been good, and without question saved us a few games single handedly. The guy still has the ability to turn it on and be a dominant player in the league, to me it just seems to be a combination of mental and phyiscal problems. While obviously I no he will never be a top powerforward in the league ever again, I firmly belive that if he deals with his mental baggage and starts playing a physical game he could very well become another legit scoring threat.

I think it's unlikely he'll ever find that dominant physical game again because he has a bad back. He's played every game this year though, much to his credit, I considered his health one of the cons when he was brought on board, but obviously he's still limited by his condition.

He's far from perfect, but I was hoping for 20ish goals and 40-50 points out of him when he was signed and he's delivered on my expectations.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/03/red_wings_nicklas_kronwall_not.html

Babcock, on Todd Bertuzzi’s net-front role on the line with Henrik Zetterberg and Valtteri Filppula: “We want him at the net and those other guys get to play with the puck and he gets to bang the loose pucks in. With those guys, if you (Bertuzzi) end up having the puck, then the line’s not effective. It’s set up that way and as long as he keeps playing like that he’s going to get an opportunity to play with those guys.’’

Babs is trying to put Bertuzzi into a Holmstrom like (net front, puck retrival) role instead of a Franzen like (shooter) role like earlier in the season. I think it's going well so far and I hope Bert is having fun with it.

Guest Crymson

Babs is trying to put Bertuzzi into a Holmstrom like (net front, puck retrival) role instead of a Franzen like (shooter) role like earlier in the season. I think it's going well so far and I hope Bert is having fun with it.

As Mike Haynes (homer Avalanche PbPer) said, "Whatever you want to say about what Bertuzzi may have done in the past [to Steve Moore], he sure is one BIG man." Bert is huge and is virtually immovable in front of the net. I just wish he'd crash the net like he used to; he was able, even in the '07 season, to accelerate fast towards the net with the puck. When he did that, he was virtually unstoppable short of being hooked or tripped.

Anyway, he's on pace to eclipse Sammy's point totals of the past two seasons. He's worth the money, and I think he'll continue to become more valuable as his role is solidified more. In my opinion, his size hasn't been used enough this season. He is one of the biggest players in hockey.

The Zet-Fil-Bert line looks great. I think Berts always been streaky hasn't he? If he can keep building I would love to see him signed to short term deals especially if that line keeps coming together like they have been.... maybe the best 2nd line playing right now!

2nd line is making a killing right now, and Bert is a big part of that. Another positive note, Bertuzzi has almost moved out of the negative +/- after hitting a low of -9 I think. Haters give it up.

Bert is a guy who likes to play with the puck. I've feared this ever since he's been placed in a Holmstrom-type role. I might be making too big of a deal out of this but he definitely made some questionable decisions with the puck against EDM. Maybe he's too much of a puckhandler to be a Holmstrom type long term.

Bert is a guy who likes to play with the puck. I've feared this ever since he's been placed in a Holmstrom-type role. I might be making too big of a deal out of this but he definitely made some questionable decisions with the puck against EDM. Maybe he's too much of a puckhandler to be a Holmstrom type long term.

I'm a Bertuzzi slappy and even I think that the use of Long-term should never be associated with Bertuzzi and the Red Wings.

He's a one to two year filler.

He tends to blow the easy play without even a shot on goal. There are a lot of Wings who have been guilty of that over the season but Bert has been the worst. He tries things that Zetterberg and Filppula are making look easy these days and just ends up getting robbed one-on-one, throwing an ill-advised pass that gets picked in traffic, or whiffing an easy one-timer. He was guilty of all three at least twice each against Edmonton.

Players of Bertuzzi's ilk need to realize they aren't superstars anymore and need to do what Drew Miller is doing: just get the damn puck on net and hope for garbage/goalie-gaff.