• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

Jimmy Howard watch thread

Rate this topic

Guest zackmorris
Better yet, I think Jimmy Howard will end up in the Hall of Fame.

I think it's safe to say that at this point in the season...

Get real, sir

Could've seen this reply coming a mile away.

When your GAA is almost at 2 flat, and your save percentage is almsot .930, like I said the only thing that'd stop him would be the wins category.

You can blow the sarcasm out your ass, it's not that crazy a thought.

Oh and if Howard keeps at this pace, and Osgood keeps bombing every rare occasion we put him in there...it's not entirely insane to think he could be a Vezina candidate. I'm talking almost every start from here on out but that's not insane to think. The only thing that'd hurt his chances might be wins. His stats are spectacular otherwise.

I just can't stomach another Vezina going to Brodeur.

Vezina is unlikely, because he is a rookie.

Calder is possible though, if they decide to consider him a rookie.

Could've seen this reply coming a mile away.

When your GAA is almost at 2 flat, and your save percentage is almsot .930, like I said the only thing that'd stop him would be the wins category.

You can blow the sarcasm out your ass, it's not that crazy a thought.

It's not sarcasm, it's realism.

Nobody was talking Vezina when Legace had his super-october in 2006.

Why talk about it when a rookie has a good run ? It's not realistic.

It's realistic when it's Brodeur, Miller, Vokoun or Thomas.. goaltenders who already have proven they can maintain their level of play for a longer period.

We don't know that about Jimmy.

So don't make him the Messias so many want him to be.

It's realistic when it's Brodeur, Miller, Vokoun or Thomas.. goaltenders who already have proven they can maintain their level of play for a longer period.

Hey, J-Ho is playing better than most in the league and he is looking like he can and will keep this up for a good while. There is no need to be butthurt that Osgood is flopping as of right now and it appears that he won't be in net as often as you think he should or would like. It sucks when your favorite goalies get old and thrown out of the starting position that you always want to picture them in, don't worry it happened to me I was upset when Hasek got ousted from it, never mind he is my favorite goalie of all time, but it is reality. Sure the Vezina is unlikely at this point, but I can see J-Ho winning one in the future too...and sooner than you would think.

Guest zackmorris

Uh, no. I don't really care what anyone was doing in 2006.

And of course we don't know it abouy Jimmy, that's why I said IF. If he keeps this up, if Osgood doesn't play consistently. Read my post instead of jumping on an opportunity to be sarcastic.

Some people just need some clarity of thought. I wasn't saying he deserves the Vezina and wasn't saying it was likely. I just said it's not crazy to think he might be up for it if he continues at this pace.

Edited by zackmorris

Oh and if Howard keeps at this pace, and Osgood keeps bombing every rare occasion we put him in there...it's not entirely insane to think he could be a Vezina candidate. I'm talking almost every start from here on out but that's not insane to think. The only thing that'd hurt his chances might be wins. His stats are spectacular otherwise.

It would be a shame if Osgood only had every rare occasion to start, considering rusting on the pine won't help his game any.

And he may be in for the Vezina stats wise, but that is not how the trophy is won. There are goaltenders playing better than Howard no matter how pleasant he has been. Come on, guys.

Uh, no. I don't really care what anyone was doing in 2006.

And of course we don't know it abouy Jimmy, that's why I said IF. If he keeps this up, if Osgood doesn't play consistently. Read my post instead of jumping on an opportunity to be sarcastic.

Some people just need some clarity of thought. I wasn't saying he deserves the Vezina and wasn't saying it was likely. I just said it's not crazy to think he might be up for it if he continues at this pace.

That's what LGW is all about, sir.

Guest zackmorris
It would be a shame if Osgood only had every rare occasion to start, considering rusting on the pine won't help his game any.

And he may be in for the Vezina stats wise, but that is not how the trophy is won. There are goaltenders playing better than Howard no matter how pleasant he has been. Come on, guys.

I've seen quite a few of them and maybe Miller is but not many others. Brodeur isn't, he's getting by on some absolutely sick defense and a total lack of second save scenarios. Rask is a hell of a goalie. Anderson as well. Those three have impressed me the most so far. I know I'll probably have mobs formed just to hunt me down for saying I think Howard's outplayed Brodeur to this point but to me he has. It's not a huge gap but Howard's seen harder shots, bailed out a team of Griffins and looked amazing while doing it. It doesn't mean he's better, it just means he's played better to this point.

The award isn't won on wins and games played but it's a heavy factor. Gone are the Hasekian days where 35 wins won you the award because you were the most dominating athlete on the ice at any given moment. In are the 50 win goalies immediately get recognized days, where 3 point games can give almost any decent goalie 40 wins or more. I don't think we have a clear view on Howard, we're slightly blinded by the fact he's a rookie and half of us don't think he should even be in there, and some of us can't forget his shaky start, etc. Change the name on the back to Brodeur or Nabokov with the exact same games under his belt and we'd all be s***ting bricks at his awesomeness. I think the whole stigma of Ozzie being the starter no matter what and Howard being a bench warmer who is playing well is still in our minds. I think realizing he might be a playoff goalie and realizing he might be Vezina material will go hand in hand, whether that kicks in this season or sometime down the road.

He's facing almost 32 shots per game, and as we've seen, they're not easy whiffers. Ryan Miller's in the same boat. He faces 30 a night and they're not easy. Brodeur's 26 a night are usually perimeter routine saves, no rebounds, etc., that sorta thing but we blindly love and praise the guy all the same. Nabby's more or less in the same boat but has it a bit harder sometimes. Right now Miller is my choice for Vezina but if Howard racks up about 35 wins or more and keeps bailing us out, you've got to look at him. He's definitely my #1 for the Calder right now.

Edited by zackmorris

I think that all this talk about Howard is justified, the kid has proven a lot of us (including me) wrong. The kid has talent. But I need to remind everyone of a few things:

1) Goalies are famous for being unreliable. How many times have we heard of the hot young rookie goalie (or just a young goalie) having an all-star, amazing season only to become a has-been the rest of his career, totally disappearing?

2) We don't know how he'll respond to the playoffs (if he plays).

Howard could have shut outs for the rest of the season and I still wouldn't be willing to count on him as the goalie of the future. But that may be just my lack of confidence in most goalies.

I've seen quite a few of them and maybe Miller is but not many others. Brodeur isn't, he's getting by on some absolutely sick defense and a total lack of second save scenarios. Rask is a hell of a goalie. Anderson as well. Those three have impressed me the most so far. I know I'll probably have mobs formed just to hunt me down for saying I think Howard's outplayed Brodeur to this point but to me he has. It's not a huge gap but Howard's seen harder shots, bailed out a team of Griffins and looked amazing while doing it. It doesn't mean he's better, it just means he's played better to this point.

The award isn't won on wins and games played but it's a heavy factor. Gone are the Hasekian days where 35 wins won you the award because you were the most dominating athlete on the ice at any given moment. In are the 50 win goalies immediately get recognized days, where 3 point games can give almost any decent goalie 40 wins or more. I don't think we have a clear view on Howard, we're slightly blinded by the fact he's a rookie and half of us don't think he should even be in there, and some of us can't forget his shaky start, etc. Change the name on the back to Brodeur or Nabokov with the exact same games under his belt and we'd all be s***ting bricks at his awesomeness. I think the whole stigma of Ozzie being the starter no matter what and Howard being a bench warmer who is playing well is still in our minds. I think realizing he might be a playoff goalie and realizing he might be Vezina material will go hand in hand, whether that kicks in this season or sometime down the road.

He's facing almost 32 shots per game, and as we've seen, they're not easy whiffers. Ryan Miller's in the same boat. He faces 30 a night and they're not easy. Brodeur's 26 a night are usually perimeter routine saves, no rebounds, etc., that sorta thing but we blindly love and praise the guy all the same. Right now Miller is my choice for Vezina but if Howard racks up about 35 wins or more and keeps bailing us out, you've got to look at him. He's definitely my #1 for the Calder right now.

Well put and I don't argue with YOUR evaluation, but I have a feeling the voters will look at the records he set/broke this year, the Devils record, his name and hand Marty the award!

He's facing almost 32 shots per game, and as we've seen, they're not easy whiffers. Ryan Miller's in the same boat. He faces 30 a night and they're not easy. Brodeur's 26 a night are usually perimeter routine saves, no rebounds, etc., that sorta thing but we blindly love and praise the guy all the same. Nabby's more or less in the same boat but has it a bit harder sometimes. Right now Miller is my choice for Vezina but if Howard racks up about 35 wins or more and keeps bailing us out, you've got to look at him. He's definitely my #1 for the Calder right now.

Nabby, he's at his level or below despite stealing games against teams like Chicago and such so I don't consider him a Vezina candidate. Brodeur is one of the best for a reason (in fact the "no rebounds" argument you make helps his case because he has possibly the best rebound control of any goaltender and the fact he has few second save scenarios means that he is doing his job better than anyone else). Also consider that Howard, despite his play, has relied on the defense to bail him out on his rebounds on multiple occasions, even during the LA game that he stole. I don't consider the stigma of Osgood to be any kind of factor because the last few years Osgood has split starts with the other goaltender. Normally the number 1 starts 50 games or more. Howard is a rookie, and I think of that when I talk playoffs or the future, but not right now. He could be a Vezina candidate but I don't think his statistics and his game against LA will be enough to put him above the rest of the pack.

nope! He needs a few more shutouts than one. Also, you should be the leader in at least ONE category of Goalie statistics to win Vezina. Not saying he is awful. Just saying there is no way he will win Vezina.

High hopes though. That's good...I guess?

Another solid effort from Howard. Who could have predicted that the Wings would be getting outshot every night and Howard would be stopping almost everything. Crazy.

Way to go Jimmy!

I think Osgood is a huge reason why Howard is excelling. I was afraid he might not be helping Howard after the press incident came out, but there is no doubt that Osgood is helping Howard with his psyche.

Overall a good game from Jimmy. These 37 shots were nothing like against LA, but a solid performance. Though I'm getting frustrated with his rebound control.

On that goal tonight he gives up a juicy rebound on a weak wrister he should've eaten. And he's still too tentative when the puck is loose around the net. It's fine in a game like this. But in tight games he can't be giving up chances like that.

To be clear, I think he definitely deserves to be getting the starts, but he still has some holes in his game that he needs to lock down.

Overall a good game from Jimmy. These 37 shots were nothing like against LA, but a solid performance. Though I'm getting frustrated with his rebound control.

On that goal tonight he gives up a juicy rebound on a weak wrister he should've eaten. And he's still too tentative when the puck is loose around the net. It's fine in a game like this. But in tight games he can't be giving up chances like that.

To be clear, I think he definitely deserves to be getting the starts, but he still has some holes in his game that he needs to lock down.

He's still a rookie harold. :)

He's still a rookie harold. :)

I know. And I'm trying to be patient. :P part of it is I want him to look like the clear and away goalie for the Wings.

The other part is that some of these gaffes aren't about technique, they're about decisionmaking. And sometimes that's much harder to correct.

Definitely. The first thing that came out of my mouth after that goal was "damn rebound control". Anyway, I have to temper my frustration because he has played in less than 40 NHL games his career so there's bound to be some issues. I just hope his progress continues to improve as we near the end of the season.

Guest Crymson
Definitely. The first thing that came out of my mouth after that goal was "damn rebound control". Anyway, I have to temper my frustration because he has played in less than 40 NHL games his career so there's bound to be some issues. I just hope his progress continues to improve as we near the end of the season.

No NHL goalie is perfect, and Jimmy is playing excellently.

WIM says that of all goalies who have played in more than half of their team's games, Howard ranks only behind Miller in GAA and SV%.

if only one rebound goes in its all good. hes been solid. and doesnt let regular shots in like ozzie. howards been the man MVP