• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Z Winged Dangler

John Tortorella

Rate this topic

Been watching TSN while eating and they brought up Tortorella and said that apparently the Rangers were keeping him around to start next season. Personally after watching the Rangers this year and their low scoring, underachieving season up until the last 10-15 games, and then his shootout line-up when the season was on the line I would can this guy. When you have the 5th leading goal scorer in the league and the 82nd game of the season with 8th place on the line and it goes to a shootout for a playoff spot...and you send out Christenson(not bad), P.A. Parenteau (hasn't missed yet, but came very close), and Olli Jokinen (underachiever of the year) while Marian Gaborik (42 goals) is sitting on the bench. Rangers out, Flyers in. This pretty much sums up Torts as a coach if you ask me.

I have to admit I was also surprised Gaborik didn't get to shoot, but I think he is pretty bad in SO's? Not sure what his numbers are.

Overall I don't think the Rangers have "underachieved" though. When you only have 3 good players (Gaborik, Callahan, Lundqvist) and still almost make the playoffs you've done okay.

I guess players would stop listening to Tortorella's constant screaming sooner or later though, so maybe a coaching change wouldn't be so bad. Most of all they need to add some scoring depth however.

I have to admit I was also surprised Gaborik didn't get to shoot, but I think he is pretty bad in SO's? Not sure what his numbers are.

Overall I don't think the Rangers have "underachieved" though. When you only have 3 good players (Gaborik, Callahan, Lundqvist) and still almost make the playoffs you've done okay.

I guess players would stop listening to Tortorella's constant screaming sooner or later though, so maybe a coaching change wouldn't be so bad. Most of all they need to add some scoring depth however.

good points, and drury has pretty much fallen off the face of the planet since leaving buffalo.

rangers didnt ever score alot. they were actually pretty good in the beginning of the season.

their problem, overpaid players

drury 7mil to score 40pts?

redden 6mil 3rd defense pair

voros 1mil to be scratched

they have maybe 3 or 4 forwards that belong in top 6, gaborik, prospal, callahan, possibly drury or dubninsky

they have one defense men that is offensive and is a rookie...

end of the year their 4th line was doing all the scoring

IMO not the coaches fault, but he def should have placed gaborik in the shootout, dumb move

Edited by brett

Guest Lidstromboli

what about dubinsky and staal? del zotto was great for a month then went back to being a rookie

In Tort's deffense... I don't have the exact stat, but Gaborik was something like 2 for 17 in shootouts. He was also slated to be the 4th shooter.

Personally, I'd still fire him. The Rangers need to go through a major shakeup, but as noted, they have some salary issues and bad contracts. I think they need to make some trades and start over. I'd keep Lundqvist and Gaborik, anyone else is fair game.

If anyone in the Rangers organization deserves to be fired it's Glen "Slats/Tomato Face/Fat Contract" Sather. The game has passed him by....

Edited by Glubki

Wow.

Torts takes shot at Gabby

John Tortorella called Marian Gaborik, "a legitimate star," but the rest of the head coach's breakup day evaluation of the NHL's fifth leading goal-scorer wasn't quite so laudatory.

"Gabby is a legitimate star, but I don't like the way he plays in big games," Tortorella said of the winger, who scored 42 goals in his first season on Broadway. "I expect his line to play better in big games."

Tortorella, addressing Sunday's 2-1 shootout defeat in Philadelphia that prevented the Rangers from coming all the way back from their seven-point deficit with 10 games to play, said, "We had zero top guys show up.

"That's what makes my stomach turn today, 48 hours later, is that we had zero top guys show up to play. We had a [gutsy] game in our building vs. Philly [Friday's 4-3 victory] and we had zero top guys show up in Philly, which is despicable."

Earlier in the day when discussing his shootout selections, Tortorella said that he had Gaborik slated to go fourth, [even though], I thought Gabby stunk in that game."

Gaborik, who scored the winner on Friday, was no factor in the finale, but he had recorded 10 points (5-5) while going plus-seven during the club's 7-1-1 run back to playoff contention, and 13 (6-7) the previous 11 games.

The 28-year-old sniper, who finished behind only Steven Stamkos, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin and Patrick Marleau in the Rocket Richard race, matched his career-high in goals (42) and established personal bests in assists (44) and points (86) in 76 games. He had 83 points (42-41) in 77 games with the Wild two years ago before missing nearly all of 2008-09 to hip surgeries.

Again, of the final game, Tortorella said that while he had been accused (unfairly, he thinks) of being far too quick on the trigger in changing and creating line combinations throughout the season, he now believes he should not have stuck with the same combinations as Sunday's game evolved into a territorial mismatch, the Rangers outshot 30-13 through two and 47-25 overall.

"I was coaching on hope," Tortorella said. "I kept Erik's [Christensen] line together; they were brutal. I kept Olli's [Jokinen] together; they were brutal. Dru [Chris Drury] and that line . . .

"I had defensemen play [well], a goaltender play out his [butt], and a line I gave 16, 17 minutes to in the [Artem] Anisimov line. You're not going to win [that way]," he said.

"I look back at that and think I should have changed the lines, but I kept on hoping and hoping; hoping that Erik would make a play, hoping that Gabby would make a big play."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/torts_takes_shot_at_gabby_rfY5ytPkpEvh7qoKGYpvyJ#ixzz0l3d7I5BE

Tortorella has major concerns about the Philly lockerroom

"I have major concerns about the room," Tortorella said recently during an appearance on SiriusXM. "I've spent the summer going back and forth ... to Philly trying to relocate there. But (I) spent some time in the office talking to players, talking to personnel, talking to (general manager) Chuck (Fletcher), all the front office, and I have major concerns about what goes on in there.

His anger is already over 9000 in Philly lol. Coming in and declaring the room is f***ed before camp even starts is alpha AF. Philly is going to be fun to watch this year.

Good to have you back in the league Torts.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:49 PM, bIueadams said:

Tortorella has major concerns about the Philly lockerroom

His anger is already over 9000 in Philly lol. Coming in and declaring the room is f***ed before camp even starts is alpha AF. Philly is going to be fun to watch this year.

Good to have you back in the league Torts.

Should be good for some laughs 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10109560-2024-nhl-stadium-series-how-john-tortorellas-tenacity-has-rebuilt-underdog-flyers

Torts is the most underrated coach in this league. He's been maligned because he's a hard ass, who hates the media, and will work you to the bone, but at the end of the day this dude is one solid ass coach and good guy.

First part is Marty St. Louis talking to Atkinson about Torts, the rest is self explanatory:

"He told me, 'If you're not going to put the effort in with Torts, you're not going to play,'" Atkinson told Bleacher Report on Thursday. "Marty said, 'He's the person who made my career for me. You're going to have ups and downs, but he's going to push you to be the best you can be.'"

"For the most part, any time you play for Torts, the opposing team knows it's going to be a hard night, that's just how Torts' teams play. You don't necessarily need to have all the high skill amongst each player, but we have a lot of really good players that are skilled and can make a difference.

Sean Couturier, who was named captain earlier this week, admits he had the wrong impression of what it would be like playing for Tortorella.

"It's been different from what I personally thought. He's obviously a passionate coach with a lot of emotions, but he's all about team success. He does whatever he has to do to make the team win," Couturier told Bleacher Report. "That being said, he will be hard on you. But he's fair towards everyone. He's an honest coach; you'll always hear the truth out of him whether you like it or not."

"You ask any player, for the most part, 95 percent of players that have played for Torts, they wish he was their coach from start to finish," Atkinson said. "During the thick of things, he might go after you as a player, but it's one of those things where you don't really know what you have till it's gone, and he just prepares us the right way, day in and day out."

Flyers were not expected to be sniffing the playoffs ths year, They are though. And it seems to be all Torts.

Damn i wish we had this guy. He's what everyone hoped Babcock would be. Tired of these happy best friend Derek and Jeff coaches.

1 hour ago, Troy McClure said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10109560-2024-nhl-stadium-series-how-john-tortorellas-tenacity-has-rebuilt-underdog-flyers

Torts is the most underrated coach in this league. He's been maligned because he's a hard ass, who hates the media, and will work you to the bone, but at the end of the day this dude is one solid ass coach and good guy.

First part is Marty St. Louis talking to Atkinson about Torts, the rest is self explanatory:

Flyers were not expected to be sniffing the playoffs ths year, They are though. And it seems to be all Torts.

Damn i wish we had this guy. He's what everyone hoped Babcock would be. Tired of these happy best friend Derek and Jeff coaches.

If Torts were our coach can you imagine the quotes he'd have had about Chia, Petry, Holl and the lollipop guild on D.

On 2/16/2024 at 7:47 PM, Troy McClure said:

Same...Fans/critics love to bash Torts, but the man gets the job done and holds players accountable.

Uncle Fester & Co have been getting positive results...I'm hoping December will continue to be a thing of the past and the Wings keep winning.

On 4/13/2010 at 4:36 PM, GMRwings1983 said:

I'd fire him.

The guy has no composure and makes a fool of himself too much. I don't see how he can garner respect from his players with constant outbursts, both in and out of the locker room.

He acts more like a fan than a coach.

14 yrs ago!!!