• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Which active goalie would you select to start a franchise?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

Here's a list of TSN's top ranked 30 and under goalies to help get you started:

...Personally, I'd like to go with Luongo or Miller, but at 31 and 30, both are probably moving past their primes at this point. Even Lundqvist is getting a little old at 28. I guess I'd go with Marc-Andre Fleury. He was a #1 pick. He's an all-star. He was the Stanley Cup MVP (imo) two years ago. He's been dubbed the future goalie of the Canadien Hockey team. And he's probably got 10 more good years in him. Cam Ward's probably the next guy I'd really consider. Price, Rinne, Quick, etc...haven't proved it over a long enough period of time for me to be comfortable picking them.

Thoughts?

1) P. Rinne(27)

2) M. Fleury(25)

3) H. Lundqvist(28)

4) O. Pavelec(23)

5) J. Quick(24)

6) J. Hiller(28)

7) C. Crawford(25)

8) C. Price(23)

9) S. Bobrovsky(22)

10) C. Ward(26)

11) K. Lehtonen(26)

12) I. Bryzgalov(30)

13) M. Neuvirth(22)

14) R. Miller(30)

15) A. Niemi(27)

16) J. Halak(25)

17) J. Howard(26)

18) C. Andersson(29)

19) S. Mason(22)

20) B. Elliott(25)

21) P. Budaj(28)

nq1) S. Varlamov(22)

nq2) A. Auld(29)

nq3) C. Schneider(24)

nq4) K. Poulin(20)

nq5) A. Raycroft(30)

nq6) T. Rask(23)

nq7) A. Lindback(22)

I'd go with Fleury.

I hate the guy, but he's better than people give him credit for. I know the Pens don't exactly need him to stand on his head every game when they're healthy, but we've seen him play magnificent before, just like other goalies around the NHL. After all, it's the era of the goalie, so I have no doubt he could carry a bad franchise that's just starting out.

He's won a Cup before and he's only 25, as blueadams said.

As much as it pains me to say it, I have to agree with those who give the nod to Fleury. Despite his propensity to give up goals on the first shot of the game, he also has the ability to flat out steal games when his confidence is high. My second choice would be Price, he may not have proven anything at the NHL level, but he's young and he's won at every other level he's played at.

Non-salary dream world I'd go with Quick.

But I'm not paying a goalie more than 4.5-5 million, I don't care how great he is so I'd be content with a young promising goalie like the Red Wings, or Montreal.

Give me Cam Ward every day of the week and twice on Sundays. He pretty much won the cup for Carolina that year, they had an aged Brind Amour and a young Staal. Ward is always lights out when it matters, if he was on a team like Detroit or Pitty he would probably be the top goalie in the league

Simple answer is I wouldn't start a franchise around a goaltender at all. Optimally, I'd want to commit around 5% of the cap or less toward my goalie tandem. A solid vet, and a promising younger guy.

Spending an extra ~$3m for another solid defenseman will do more for the team than a 'star' goalie.

Jon Quick. 24 years old, he's got 10+ more years in him. just the right amount of time to pick vets and draft to stock the farm and to bring up to the majors.

Then Price

then Varlamov.

I'm gonna go outside the box a little and say Bryz. I think he would be money on the Wings anyway.

I'm not exactly sure if he's the goalie I'd select to start a franchise but for some reason I thought of Bryz right away before I even looked at that list.

I'm not exactly sure if he's the goalie I'd select to start a franchise but for some reason I thought of Bryz right away before I even looked at that list.

Right. Same here. Not really sure exactly why either. Gut feeling I guess. :)

I'd go with Fleury.

I hate the guy, but he's better than people give him credit for. I know the Pens don't exactly need him to stand on his head every game when they're healthy, but we've seen him play magnificent before, just like other goalies around the NHL. After all, it's the era of the goalie, so I have no doubt he could carry a bad franchise that's just starting out.

He's won a Cup before and he's only 25, as blueadams said.

He is also statistically the worst goalie to win a cup in 20 years.

Give me Cam Ward every day of the week and twice on Sundays. He pretty much won the cup for Carolina that year, they had an aged Brind Amour and a young Staal. Ward is always lights out when it matters, if he was on a team like Detroit or Pitty he would probably be the top goalie in the league

^This.

Marc-Andre Fleury is wildly inconsistent. You might as well flip a coin at the start of the season to decide whether to play him or wait it out for his bounce-back year.

And as far as his status as a #1 pick goes... well look at this draft class:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NHL_Entry_Draft

No one in the Pittsburgh organization should be proud of that first overall choice.

I like Quick quite a lot...maybe it's because other than Howard/Ozzy, he's the goalie I watch the most, but he always looks unflappable even when he's having a bad night. Yeah, he's young, but he (and the rest of the team) had a hard time last month, and it looks like he's been able to recover from that pretty well, so that gives me some confidence in him. Also, even though he has some good defense in front of him to help him out, I still think he's pretty darn good in his own right. When Doughty was having trouble at the beginning of the season, he was still doing well if I remember right. Jeez, I feel like I'm going to jinx him or something. Well, as long as the jinx works on the 28th, I can live with that. ;)

Bryzgalov or Varlamov might be nice, too. I'm not taking the cap into consideration, though.

Rinne easily and I say that not based on his stats but from watching his play. He's huge, has incredible positioning, is athletic, is calm under pressure and is unbelievable at reading shooters a shootout/breakaway scenario. He also seems to have a great demeanor and would fit in well in a mature locker room setting.

Edited by Yellowknife Redwing

Guest blueadams

very interesting and thought provoking comments...some reactions I've had:

#1) M. Fleury/C. Ward: The question I have for the board in regards to this argument (and I agree with all the comments made on both thus far) is this - why did Yzerman/Bowman/Holland and co. chose M. Fleury to be Canada's third goalie (and their goalie of the future, essentially) when he's only months younger than Cam?

#2) H. Lundqvist: I'm surprised that there's been such little interest expressed in Lundqvist. He was voted as the 4th toughest goalie to score on in the league by the players (behind Thomas(34), Luongo(31) and Miller(30)), and at 28, he probably still has about seven good years left...and, he's Sweedish.

#3) I. Bryzgalov: I don't really get why there's so much interest in the 30 year old Bryzgalov. If age isn't a major concern for you, why not just go with a 31 year old Luongo, a 30 year old Miller, or a 28 year old Lundqvist?

J. Quick - I can't disagree with anyone that wants him; he's had a great last year and a half, and he's very young.

P. Rinne - He's probably been the best goalie in the league thus far this season, and he's young, but it's just one half of a regular season...I'll wait and see there.

C. Price - He's having a great season thus far as well, and he's very young, but he was a backup just last season...I'll wait and see there as well.

T. Rask - He had a great season last year, but he's a backup now (granted he's backing up the best goalie in the league statisticly)...so I'll have to wait and see there also.

S. Varlamov - Honestly, I don't really understand what he's done thus far to even be a part of this discussion.

Edited by blueadams

I'd take Rask. He has a world of talent and at that age it's possible the sky is the limit for him. We shall see but that is who I start with.

Rask would be my choice as well. The only thing that worries me about him is how rare it is for a goalie to look bad in Boston since the year after the lockout. Maybe it's really good coaching, maybe it's a great d-core, it could even be excellent scouting/management or maybe it's plain old luck. I have a hard time believing luck would explain such consistent numbers, though.

Guest blueadams

If I'm starting a new franchise there's no way I'm passing on either Luongo or Miller.

In 10 years, Luongo will be 41 and retired, Miller will be 40 and retired, and Fleury (for example) will be 35 and just leaving his prime.