305 replies to this topic

#201 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

Posted Image
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#202 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

i was watching the game last night and i thought after the incident occured that it wasnt gonna be anything extreme....

again at the speed this game is going today is going so fast you really cant tell if he really intended too or not. i dont think he did, so really the nhl made a good decision.

at the same time it bothers me that some b's fans are going all out aboot it and think they are the better franchise and blah blah blah. its entertaining to watch but seriously, some people take it too far. :ph34r:

#203 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

Bettman and his cronies need to go before the NHL goes from Laughing Stock of the professional sports in NA to somewhat legitimate. Disgusting.

Like I've said on this board before, and to hockey fans I know, Commissioners should be like Presidents and only be around 8 years, maybe even 10 and that's it. We've been stuck with this moron and his ideas for 17 years now. It's time for some fresh blood and new ideas.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#204 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,646 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

I've hated thatf****** giraffe spotpicker since he came into the NHL.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#205 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

I'm actually shocked arenas are different around the league. This is the NHL, the best league in the world, not a rec league.

Yes... because every other arena and stadium in every other league is built by cookie cutter standards. :blink:

#206 hockeychik25

hockeychik25

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

its bull the league did nothing. he broke his 4th vertebrae and serious concussion. heck his career could be over. all chara gets is 15 penalty minutes. bull

in the video it looks like he ran into him. they went against the boards and he put his arm up and pushed his head against the glass. the sad thing is also max doesnt know what happened even after, he is out cold. best wishes to him.

i know this has nothing to do with what happened in detroit, but seeing all the players around makes me remember the fischer incident

Edited by hockeychik25, 09 March 2011 - 08:50 PM.

Piet Van Zant and Kevin Rand better watch out, one day I will be athletic trainer for the wings or tigers! :)

#207 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

LOL Habs fans have been calling the po po over this...

http://sports.yahoo....iens-pacioretty

Shortly after the NHL announced it wouldn’t take further action against Chara, Montreal police were inundated with calls from people seeking to file a criminal complaint against the player. A spokesman said police suspected the calls were inspired by a media outlet that suggested the idea.

The police spokesman described the gesture as “irresponsible”—and urged Montrealers to keep the emergency line free for actual life-and-death matters. “Someone in the media has been telling people to call the police to complain,” Sgt. Ian Lafreniere said. “This shows a serious lack of responsibility.”

:clap:

#208 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

LOL!
hadthomasvokounonfortst.jpg
Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#209 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

That's extreme.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#210 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

Air Canada threatens NHL

UNRISE, Fla. -- Air Canada, one of the NHL's largest financial corporate backers, is threatening to withdraw its sponsorship if the league doesn't take "immediate" and "serious" action on headshots, QMI Agency has learned.

In a strongly worded letter addressed to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Wednesday, Denis Vandal, Air Canada's director of marketing/communications, expressed concern over recent incidents of headshots and concussions.

The letter came in the wake of Tuesday night's controversial hit by Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara on Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty at the Bell Centre. Following a telephone hearing Wednesday with NHL VP Mike Murphy, there was no punishment for Chara.

"We are contacting you (Wednesday) to voice our concern over (Tuesday night's) incident involving Max Pacioretty and Zdeno Chara at the Bell Centre in Montreal," wrote Vandal. "This is following several other incidents involving career-threatening and life-threatening headshots in the NHL recently."

Vandal noted the controversial issue is becoming bad for Air Canada's brand.

"From a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents; action must be taken by the NHL before we are encountered with a fatality.

"Unless the NHL takes immediate action with serious suspension to the players in question to curtail these life-threatening injuries, Air Canada will withdraw its sponsorship of hockey."

#211 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

Air Canada threatens NHL

Hit'em in the wallet! That'll get their attention!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#212 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Air Canada threatens NHL

I don't disagree with their sentiment, but they picked the wrong hit to get outraged about. There have been several more serious hits where the head was actually targeted.

#213 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:51 PM

league got it right. no suspension necessary for that hit.

loving the new wallpaper, too.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#214 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:16 PM

PACIORETTY TELLS TSN HE IS 'DISGUSTED' AT LACK OF SUSPENSION

"I am upset and disgusted that the league didn't think enough of (the hit) to suspend him," Pacioretty told TSN. "I'm not mad for myself, I'm mad because if other players see a hit like that and think it's okay, they won't be suspended, then other players will get hurt like I got hurt.

"It's been an emotional day. I saw the video for the first time this morning. You see the hit, I've got a fractured vertebrae, I'm in hospital and I thought the league would do something, a little something," said Pacioretty.

"I'm not talking a big number, I don't know, one game, two games, three games...whatever, but something to show that it's not right."

Pacioretty disagreed with Chara's assessment of what happened on the play.

"I heard (Chara) said he didn't mean to do it. I felt he did mean to do it. I would feel better if he said he made a mistake and that he was sorry for doing that, I could forgive that, but I guess he's talking about how I jumped up or something."

"I believe he was trying to guide my head into the turnbuckle. We all know where the turnbuckle is. It wasn't a head shot like a lot of head shots we see but I do feel he targeted my head into the turnbuckle."

#215 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

Only more fuel for the fire.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#216 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

This is going to sound heartless, but I completely agree with no suspension in this case. It was an every shift hockey play that unfortunately had terrible results.

Pacioretty sounds to me like he is being advised by his lawyers and building up a case - which I frankly have little sympathy for. It's hockey... You're a warrior - act like it.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#217 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

Pacioretty sounds so childish. Obviously he thinks Chara intent to hurt a minor player like him.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#218 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

What a massive drama this is turning out to be.

Seems Canada is throwing its toys out of its pram.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#219 rbochan

rbochan

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

I was at the grocery store yesterday. I took someone's head and guided it right into the driver's side mirror. Glass shards in their face... they threatened to call an ambulance chaser but I claimed interference... had to wait to get in the store for 5 minutes. The Kart Kid saw no problem with it. Neither did the Cops.

...Rob
The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
it's Don't Tread On Me.

#220 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

There should have been a suspension. I don't think there was an intention to break his neck, but you've got to be WAY more responsible than to push a guy head first into a glass wall.