305 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

This one deserves its own thread.

That might be the most frightening thing I've ever seen in hockey aside from Clint Marlachuk.

Unfortunately with Colin Campbell at the helm, I'd expect no discipline for Chara, using BS reasoning that it was an unfortunate accident.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:25 PM

I think Chara and Pacioretty's history is pretty mild at best.

Chara took exception to a slight bump at the end of a heated game and it sparks a melee...

Chara's not an exceptionally dirty player who's going to risk suspension to avenge a bump.

He's received the only disciple that he'll get. 5 minutes and game misconduct.
Which is appropriate for the hit.

Stop looking for excitement that isn't here in this game.

Are they rollovers or are they just loading up extra hard tonight?

I've never experienced them as badly as this evening.

History aside, it looked like intent to injure. Obviously if he was just going to rub him against the boards and Pacs hit the stantion, then I'd think other wise, but Chara made sure he actually threw Pacs into the stantion. Just look at the replay, you can clearly see him throw him into it. You don't need to be a dirty player to let your emotions get the best of you. look at Bertuzzi, he was never a dirty player and just that one incident will forever label him as a dirty player when we all know he isn't.

Hell, even LePuke wasn't a dirty player, but that one incident he lost his brain and smushed Draper. Players can have a relatively clean career and still do something dirty.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#3 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

I think by the replay, it's pretty obvious that Chara knew what he was doing.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#4 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

History aside, it looked like intent to injure. Obviously if he was just going to rub him against the boards and Pacs hit the stantion, then I'd think other wise, but Chara made sure he actually threw Pacs into the stantion. Just look at the replay, you can clearly see him throw him into it. You don't need to be a dirty player to let your emotions get the best of you. look at Bertuzzi, he was never a dirty player and just that one incident will forever label him as a dirty player when we all know he isn't.

Hell, even LePuke wasn't a dirty player, but that one incident he lost his brain and smushed Draper. Players can have a relatively clean career and still do something dirty.

Not that I don't appreciate A LOT of the video work that you do but, not that you've even broken this hit down, if you look at video hard enough, you can see whatever you want to see out of it.

The game is played in a speed faster than replay, screenshots, and slow-motion...

There are certainly a lot of players out there that deliberately make bad decisions or premeditated actions on the ice that lead to injury.

Other players also make split second decisions that involve injury whether there is intent or not.

As I said in the previous thread, I think Chara's received all the punishment he'll get. 5 minutes for interference. Game Misconduct.

I'll leave it at that...

Except to disagree and say that Claude was a terribly dirty player... although just like Chara's hit tonight, I'm not sure he meant to rub Draper out into the boards like that.

Edited by e_prime, 08 March 2011 - 10:31 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#5 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

That was s***ty, suspension should be handed out without a doubt.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#6 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

Decided to pop over to the Bruins board. Some members actually praising the hit and getting angry that there was even a penalty.

:thumbdown:

#7 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:38 PM

this looked like interference and no more... i know this wont be a particularly popular opinion. this play happens once a year and everyone mentions how dumb the rink design is and then nothing gets done.
another link to the video since that ones gone.....

#8 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

That was a terrible hit. Did he even wake up while he was out there? Chara knew where he was hitting him being by the bench like that. I understand there was momentum going with both of them but the way his head hit stantion was scary. My first thought was I hope he didn't break his neck they way he hit.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#9 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,876 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:01 PM

Not that I don't appreciate A LOT of the video work that you do but, not that you've even broken this hit down, if you look at video hard enough, you can see whatever you want to see out of it.

The game is played in a speed faster than replay, screenshots, and slow-motion...

There are certainly a lot of players out there that deliberately make bad decisions or premeditated actions on the ice that lead to injury.

Other players also make split second decisions that involve injury whether there is intent or not.

As I said in the previous thread, I think Chara's received all the punishment he'll get. 5 minutes for interference. Game Misconduct.

I'll leave it at that...

Except to disagree and say that Claude was a terribly dirty player... although just like Chara's hit tonight, I'm not sure he meant to rub Draper out into the boards like that.

this looked like interference and no more... i know this wont be a particularly popular opinion. this play happens once a year and everyone mentions how dumb the rink design is and then nothing gets done.
another link to the video since that ones gone.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jimZ1tSdPY0

Agreed. When people talk about being able to tell he intentionally threw him into the stantion, I don't know quite what to say. He was trying to hit the guy, of course he's going to shove him.

I really hope Pacioretty is okay, but this was a pretty common hockey hit in a really unlucky part of the rink. And for the record, I f-ing hate Chara. But if not for the injury, he probably doesn't even get a penalty, maybe 2 for interference.

And off topic, but Turtle was absolutely a dirty player, even before the Draper incident.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 08 March 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#10 clearlybetter11

clearlybetter11

Prospect

• 45 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

I'm so sick of the argument of whether said player is a dirty player or not every time this kind of stuff happens. It should not matter whether Chara is a dirty player or if it is his "style", a dirty play is a dirty play and should be treated as one even if the accused player is a clean player. You Can't go and murder someone and then say oh yeah but it's not my style I've never done it before and get off the hook.

#11 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:16 PM

Agreed. When people talk about being able to tell he intentionally threw him into the stantion, I don't know quite what to say. He was trying to hit the guy, of course he's going to shove him.

I really hope Pacioretty is okay, but this was a pretty common hockey hit in a really unlucky part of the rink. And for the record, I f-ing hate Chara. But if not for the injury, he probably doesn't even get a penalty, maybe 2 for interference.

And off topic, but Turtle was absolutely a dirty player, even before the Draper incident.

He was against the boards, he could have just rubbed him off, but as soon as the stantion came up he literally shoved him into it. Chara is not a dirty player, but clean players have been known to have mental lapses.

But this thread is going to go the same way as all dirty hit threads go, pro enforcers don't see anything wrong, anti-enforcer see's the world falling down and then the general masses see it as dirty (the poll on HFboards is 60% to 40% calling for a suspension).
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#12 L3T5G0W1NG5

L3T5G0W1NG5

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:25 PM

I don't think Chara meant to do that; it's just an unlucky situation. No suspension should be given.

Edited by L3T5G0W1NG5, 08 March 2011 - 11:25 PM.

#13 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

As ugly as that hit was, it was more carelessness then an intent to injure.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#14 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

I don't think Chara meant to do that; it's just an unlucky situation. No suspension should be given.

Agreed.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#15 Blaayze

Blaayze

Summer... wakeboard... can't wait.

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

I'm sorry, but Chara needs a heavy suspension for that bulls***. He looks up to see where he was on the rink and sees the stanchion and throws him into it. It's bulls*** and uncalled for. I hope to god Pac's ok. That was horrific.
Posted Image

#16 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

I agree with what a couple of people are saying on here that it's a stupid design of the rink.. It's no more than 2 minutes IMO, there's no way he get's any suspension here. I hope that Pacioretty is ok though
IPB Image

#17 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

Not sure I agree. Chara knew the stantion was there. The replays show that Chara appears to drive him towards it.

#18 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:11 AM

The league can fine tune the rulebook and tweak the rink designs over and over and you're still going to see players getting severely injured on borderline plays. In the end it comes down to respecting each other and hitting to make an effective play, not to injure somebody. Its a shame that so few players practice this philosophy.

#19 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

I think by the replay, it's pretty obvious that Chara knew what he was doing.

Yep. I don't see how Chara could explain this away. It's not like he couldn't see the stantion the entire time. He obviously knows what's at the end of the bench (hockey rinks aren't exactly a mystery).

But hey-- Colin Campbell's clearly established that heavy suspension are only for scrubs. I'd be surprised if Chara gets more than 1 game.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#20 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:13 AM

It's obviously debatable, but I think 5 and a game is fair discipline. I think the reason behind the game misconduct was to just get him outta the game so they wouldn't have a scrum after every whistle with Habs going after Chara. I don't think any suspension is necessary here. Chara doesn't have a history of cheapshots and dirty hits. Was it ugly? Yes. Was it an obvious cheapshot? Not in my eyes. If anything, it was late. Then again, I can't imagine Chara had no clue where he was on the ice.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 09 March 2011 - 12:14 AM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien