• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Barrie

Owners back Gary Bettman with 5-year contract extension

Rate this topic

Thank you for ruining an otherwise not too shabby day.

What's five more years, you ask? A life?

In the immortal words of The Count in "Pirate Radio", "F**k that sideways."

Guest CaliWingsNut

He's worse than those leaders in the Middle East, who never leave their position.

:lol:

<-------- Thanks for the inspiration.

Continual record profits, climbing TV ratings, and a salary cap that keeps on rising. Easy extension decision.

I love how people put the versus deal on Bettman, you do know they offered the most money right? You also know the suspensions given to Lidstrom and Dastyuk were a unanimous decision agreed upon by every GM, including our own?

Every sport also has teams who lose money, even the great NFL. All this blind Bettman hate is ridiculous. Take some management or economic classes and you'll see why Bettman is doing a good job.

Continual record profits, climbing TV ratings, and a salary cap that keeps on rising. Easy extension decision.

I love how people put the versus deal on Bettman, you do know they offered the most money right? You also know the suspensions given to Lidstrom and Dastyuk were a unanimous decision agreed upon by every GM, including our own?

Every sport also has teams who lose money, even the great NFL. All this blind Bettman hate is ridiculous. Take some management or economic classes and you'll see why Bettman is doing a good job.

What are you farking talking about?

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/01/garrioch_holland_to_appeal_lid.html

Holland couldn't be reached for comment yesterday, but said in an e-mail Saturday he wasn't happy with Bettman's ruling. "I disagree with the decision," Holland said.

"Lidstrom has played in 9 or 10 all-star games, shown up at every NHL awards show and has been a tremendous ambassador for our league," he said. "He has tendinitis in his elbow that has been an ongoing issue for a number of years...I think he has earned the right to miss a game to try to get 100% healthy."

Hell, was the ruling to allow Crosby a free pass just for showing up for the "festivities" (a change in ruling neither Datsyuk or Lidstrom were aware of) agreed upon by GMs?

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/01/lidstrom_datsyuk_the_lidstromc.html

"I heard it through (media reports of) Sidney Crosby going there and not playing," Lidstrom said. "I heard he wasn't going to be suspended, so that's how I heard. They never called me and told me that."
Edited by Doc Holliday

I love how people put the versus deal on Bettman, you do know they offered the most money right?

This I agree with. The stuff about Dats and Lids are nonsense though. :)

He's an *******. A douchey, smarmy, little sneering *******. It doesn't matter if he's good at the job he was hired to do. He's a douchey, smarmy, sneering little ******* that's good at the job he was hired to do. Sidney Crosby is good at what he does too, but that doesn't make him any less of a turd.

I've taken plenty of management classes and plenty of economics classes -- I was a business major, after all. The point is, if you have an unlikeable personality or otherwise present yourself to be the undisputed King of All Yambags, nothing else really matters, now does it?

Owners back Gary Bettman with 5-year contract extension

Wow, I guess this was done in November, but wasn't reported until today.

I've had enough of this guy. I think when the Red Wings start their decline (whenever that is), I'm focusing more attention on Baseball.

You have got to be fricking kidding me..

Was just coming to post this. 5 more years of him...there has to be some way that he does not stick around any longer than that.

Assassination would be ok.

Sort of like the President of The United States is for our crappy Government...

...owners don't want someone there who knows whats best for the game (Shanahan) they want a lawyer there who knows whats best for them and their money...

Exactly

I don't like Bettman anymore than the next guy, but there is clearly some very biased hate towards him that's unwarranted and misguided. He has at least financially done his job. As far as rules and gameplay, he is at the mercy of the NHLPA and the owners. We have seen it numerous times, since the lockout. If the majority wants something done it will happen, the most recent example is the shoot-out win points being removed from the tie-breaker criteria.

1)

Misconception: People he believe that he put teams in the deep south

Fact: John Ziegler announced Florida, Tampa, San Jose, and Anaheim and was President when Green announced the North Stars were moving

2)

Misconception: People believe that he orchestrated the change from historical division names to geographic division names

Fact: After numerous complaints from sportscasters (almost all of them Canadian), John Ziegler ordered an examination of the Conference and Division names in 1990. Using polls from season ticket holders at all 21 teams and the Hockey News, players and fans alike voted for the geographic names. The change was announced at the 1993 All-Star game by Gil Stein, who also showed off the new 'East' and 'West' jerseys for the 1994 All-Star Game

3)

Misconception: People are upset because he locked out the players....twice

Fact: The owners control Bettman. The reason Bettman was hired was because he was one of only two candidates who would agree to lock out the players if it came to that. For example, if you were in the running for the job, and you answered all the questions right, and then the last question ("Will you lock out the players?" and you said 'no'. You would no longer be considered.

4)

Misconception: Bettman's the reason the NHL is not on ESPN

Fact: The NHL was on ESPN from 1998 through 2004 under Bettman's watch, and he gave the owners the ESPN proposal first. Since ESPN only wanted to pay $18MM a year to the league, the owners voted 30-0 against it.

Bettman's unfortunate in the sense that he's been the Commissioner in the 'Internet' era where you can read what anybody says anytime. JOhn Ziegler was bashed regularly while he was President....a listen to any Canadian radio station call-in show would tell you that. Red Fisher in Montreal Gazette and Frank Orr of the Toronto Star were extremely hard on Ziegler. The difference was they had smaller audiences (seriously, how many of you ran to your local library to read the Toronto and Montreal papers in 1985?) than any writer/blogger has now.

He's not a likeable person...he's a lawyer, and he has absolutely no hockey background...unlike Ziegler who had season's tickets to Red Wings games (mind you, he was also the Red Wings lawyer from 1961 through 1977 as well). BUt he's made the lwague a stronger business and a stronger brand.

^^^Excellent use of fact and common sense. +1.

That said, Bettman is a weaselsnot.

I would rather have a hockey man in charge with a legal team to explain torts and boardrooms and than a legal man in charge with a hockey team to explain Torts and boarding.

As long as this is a business, finance will be the bottom line. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Guest Shoreline

1)

Misconception: People he believe that he put teams in the deep south

Fact: John Ziegler announced Florida, Tampa, San Jose, and Anaheim and was President when Green announced the North Stars were moving

2)

Misconception: People believe that he orchestrated the change from historical division names to geographic division names

Fact: After numerous complaints from sportscasters (almost all of them Canadian), John Ziegler ordered an examination of the Conference and Division names in 1990. Using polls from season ticket holders at all 21 teams and the Hockey News, players and fans alike voted for the geographic names. The change was announced at the 1993 All-Star game by Gil Stein, who also showed off the new 'East' and 'West' jerseys for the 1994 All-Star Game

3)

Misconception: People are upset because he locked out the players....twice

Fact: The owners control Bettman. The reason Bettman was hired was because he was one of only two candidates who would agree to lock out the players if it came to that. For example, if you were in the running for the job, and you answered all the questions right, and then the last question ("Will you lock out the players?" and you said 'no'. You would no longer be considered.

4)

Misconception: Bettman's the reason the NHL is not on ESPN

Fact: The NHL was on ESPN from 1998 through 2004 under Bettman's watch, and he gave the owners the ESPN proposal first. Since ESPN only wanted to pay $18MM a year to the league, the owners voted 30-0 against it.

Bettman's unfortunate in the sense that he's been the Commissioner in the 'Internet' era where you can read what anybody says anytime. JOhn Ziegler was bashed regularly while he was President....a listen to any Canadian radio station call-in show would tell you that. Red Fisher in Montreal Gazette and Frank Orr of the Toronto Star were extremely hard on Ziegler. The difference was they had smaller audiences (seriously, how many of you ran to your local library to read the Toronto and Montreal papers in 1985?) than any writer/blogger has now.

He's not a likeable person...he's a lawyer, and he has absolutely no hockey background...unlike Ziegler who had season's tickets to Red Wings games (mind you, he was also the Red Wings lawyer from 1961 through 1977 as well). BUt he's made the lwague a stronger business and a stronger brand.

That's a good post, although you didn't cite where you copy/pasted it from, making it look like you made this post all on your own. :thumbdown: