• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Share of Leafs for sale

Rate this topic

Jim Balsillie can buy it! Finally get his hockey team in the Toronto area, not have to move any teams anywhere, and since Air Canada has problems with the NHL these days they can change the name of the Air Canada Center to the RIM Center.

Jim Balsillie can buy it! Finally get his hockey team in the Toronto area, not have to move any teams anywhere, and since Air Canada has problems with the NHL these days they can change the name of the Air Canada Center to the RIM Center.

Actually not a bad idea...

Keep in mind: This is the sale of shares of the company that owns the Leafs, not the Leafs itself. Therefore, NHL approval is not needed.

Minority owner Larry Tannenbaum legally has the first crack at the shares, or any portion of them.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Problem is, Balsillie wants to buy an American team at firesale prices ( $100-200 million ), rent a moving truck and move it to the GTA, where it will instantly be worth $1 billion or more. Not a bad haul for a days work. I really doubt that he has any interest in paying retail price for MLSE. But if he does, more power to him. The Leafs could really benefit from having an owner that actually gives a damn about the product on the ice.

That's awesome! I'd definitely drop $1,000 to own a share/portion-of-a-share of the Red Wings.

Awesome venture. However, the Toronto Star is not awesome. The fifth and sixth sentences:

While Thompson wouldn’t say who the stakeholders were, he said he also met with banks, law firms, and public relations companies Wednesday, and now has a firm idea of the scope of the business plan he must fulfill to legitimize his dream.

“If you told me four weeks ago (when he hatched the website “owntheleafs.com”) we’d get into the offices we have now, I’d of said you were nuts,” said Thompson.

We have here a comma splice, a parenthetical statement enclosed within a quote, and the word "of" in place of the word "have". It's pathetic, and I hope they go out and hire a copy editor.

In an interesting turn...from TSN:

The Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan says its in advanced talks with TD Capital Group to buy its stake in the company that controls the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Teachers' stake could increase to between 76.35 per cent and 79.53 per cent, subject to the MLSE shareholders' agreement.

Pre-sale preparations or are they planning to hold on to what they've got?

Because it is an investment company. They are in the business of making investments and then selling them for more than the initial investment. They need to seel at some point in time to monetize their investment.

Maybe they should have waited until they inked Stamkos hehe.gif

From Toronto Star:

Two telecommunications giants will soon control the Toronto Maple Leafs, the biggest prize in Canadian sport.

The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan will announce Friday that it has reached a draft agreement to sell its 79.53 per cent stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, owners of the iconic Leafs, to Rogers Communications and BCE for more than $1.2 billion.

Soooooo. The two biggest telecommunications giants in Canada combine to purchase the broadcast rights to the biggest franchise in Canada/NHL. I wonder how the CBC feel about this?

You're move CRTC.

Soooooo. The two biggest telecommunications giants in Canada combine to purchase the broadcast rights to the biggest franchise in Canada/NHL. I wonder how the CBC feel about this?

You're move CRTC.

No kidding. It'll be interesting to see how the broacast rights and access to the team are split/shared between TSN and Sportsnet as they are obviously each owned by the joining forces of Bell and Rogers, respectively.