78 replies to this topic

#1 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

the commentary is just cringe-worthy
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#2 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:44 AM

Nice hit.

#3 Mabuhay Red Wings

Mabuhay Red Wings

PACquiao!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:50 AM

Nice awareness.

#4 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:53 AM

On the first viewing I was thinking I would be OK with charging being called, but on the replays it shows him with his arm tucked into his chest and he COASTED into him.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#5 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:57 AM

Great hit. Nothing wrong with that. The Pens commentators are the biggest idiotic homers, I thought Jack Edwards was bad.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#6 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:24 AM

Yea... I was watching the game and the announcers were just embarrassing. They actually compared the hit to the one on Stuart, what a joke, even all the Pens fans I know hate them, homerism at its prime...

as for the hit... Clean hit, he even made sure that he kept his arms tucked and down so that he wouldn't get him in the head.

crash

#7 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:17 AM

On the first viewing I was thinking I would be OK with charging being called, but on the replays it shows him with his arm tucked into his chest and he COASTED into him.

My thoughts exactly, through and through.

Also, I appreciate the BTBAM reference.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#8 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:00 AM

these guys should have been singers...

Hands up! Hands up! Underneath the chin!
Hands up! Hands up! Underneath the chin!

It is pathetic how they compare this hit to Kostopulos' one. Kostopulos used his elbow to target Stuart's head.

However, I still don't like this hit. It was late and Brule made multiple steps towards Letang to specifically hit him harder. However, Clutterbuck always hits like this and most people are quite impressed. I just wouldn't like one of our players to be at the receiving end of such hits.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#9 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TcPk4kQGAA

the commentary is just cringe-worthy

I'm going to be a rebel and listen with the sound ON!

Edit: Yeah, that was terrible. Then again, they're amongst the worst in the league in commentary.

Edited by Crymson, 14 March 2011 - 03:22 AM.

#10 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:40 AM

That was so rediculous, I can't believe those guys have jobs. Go do commentary for curling, I don't want to hear one more minute of that nonsense. That hit was clean, from directly in front of Letang, arms were chest level, and the hit was delivered within a second of him releasing the puck. Its near text-book.

Sorry Pittsburgh, your 5'8" defenseman got buryed by a guy that isn't known for big hits on a clean check. Get over it.

#11 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:24 AM

Whenever I watch a game with the Penguins vs anybody else, I try and find the "anybody else" broadcast. These guys suck, and they can shove their whiny, nanny babysitting league where the sun doesn't shine.

Edited by Shoreline, 14 March 2011 - 06:25 AM.

#12 SiLkK19

SiLkK19

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:24 AM

Nice clean hit! Arms tucked in and coasted in.

#13 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:14 AM

Great hit. Nothing wrong with that. The Pens commentators are the biggest idiotic homers, I thought Jack Edwards was bad.

My thoughts exactly.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#14 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:48 AM

On the other side it was a pretty good defensive play by Letang to stop a break away without taking a penalty.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#15 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:02 AM

Great hit. Whiny commentary that Mario must be proud of.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#16 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:41 AM

Notice that the ref is starring right at it from about 4 feet away and his arm is not up, which means the moronic ref from center ice must have called it. Unless that ref just forgot to put his arm up.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#17 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:09 AM

Great hit. Whiny commentary that Mario must be proud of.

Haha! I thought the same thing.

#18 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

Everyone is noting that he had his arm tucked in; what you are not noting is that he hit him arm first. When you hit a guy cleanly in hockey, you don't just blindly charge in and ram him as happened in this situation. A clean hit is done with the... say it with me...SHOULDER.

Brule hit him straight on with his arms, and what made Letang bleed was Brule jumping into Letang, and Brule's helmet hitting Letang's jaw.

If Brule had hit Letang cleanly, Brule wouldn't have carried over top of him because a clean hockey hit transfers most of your forward momentum, and keeps you standing on the ice.

Yes, I know Letang is the best Penguin currently playing.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#19 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

Everyone is noting that he had his arm tucked in; what you are not noting is that he hit him arm first. When you hit a guy cleanly in hockey, you don't just blindly charge in and ram him as happened in this situation. A clean hit is done with the... say it with me...SHOULDER.

Brule hit him straight on with his arms, and what made Letang bleed was Brule jumping into Letang, and Brule's helmet hitting Letang's jaw.

If Brule had hit Letang cleanly, Brule wouldn't have carried over top of him because a clean hockey hit transfers most of your forward momentum, and keeps you standing on the ice.

Yes, I know Letang is the best Penguin currently playing.

I can concede to the notion that the hit wasn't entirely clean in the scenario you gave. OTOH, don't agree at all that a clean hit keeps you standing on the ice. Obviously that makes dirty quite a large number of clean hits.

#20 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

I watched with no sound, so I'm not sure what the announcers were saying. Assuming they were pretty annoying as usual though.

First time I checked, it looked like his right arm and glove was up in the chin area, but it looks okay (pretty close though). Couldn't have been that anyway, if it was, would have been a headshot, more significant penalty.

When looking again and focusing on his skates, he does look to jump into the hit a little. His skates only leave the ice by a very small amount, but it looks like he starting jumping into it before he made contact.

I'll admit, I'm playing devil's advocate and looking for a reason for the call to be legit. My first instinct was that it was clean. After watching it several times, to be honest, I'd be okay with whatever call they made. Since it was only a 2 minute charging call, there's no big deal here.