• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Konnan511

Colin Campbell Steps Down

Rate this topic

That's an impressive move up the corporate ladder for Shanny. I can't wait for him to bring integrity to the NHL's disciplinary system. :thumbup:

Congrats Shanny!

It's amazing how one of the leagues bigger agitators and annual Gordie Howe Hattrick leaders moved up so quickly and now may be in charge is discipling players lol. Go Shanny!

Cue the Shanny deserves to have his number retired in Detroit in 5...4...3...

I think this is a huge step in the right direction.

Shanny has always been straight forward and honest, whereas Campbell was mysterious, inconsistent, unprofessional, and untrustworthy. Should have stepped down after the whole email fiasco.

Just hope Shanny brings back some consistency and clarification to the disciplinary process which would help to restore a level of trust with the fans.

Always straight forward and honest? LOL This is the guy that was screwing his team mate's wife.

Shanahan took a large role in getting the NHL to tighten up its rules on clutching and grabbing once the lockout was settled before last season. During the year off, Shanahan formed a panel of hockey experts who made several recommendations that the league adopted.

sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2750240 (February 1, 2007)

Rumors that Shanny might make it a committee. Which would be a smart move.

This would be brilliant.

What I'm really hoping for is transparency and accountability. And I also hope Shanny brings out the Wheel of Discipline so it can be ceremonially burned.

Always straight forward and honest? LOL This is the guy that was screwing his team mate's wife.

Are you a friend of Shanny's?

He's married to Janney's ex-wife, as for when it all happened has been a matter of rumors and speculation.

As for crap that actually matters, I'm glad they're talking about starting a committee for handing out punishments. It seems so obvious to have more than one man's opinion it's hard to understand why it hasn't been that way.

Great move for the game.

Of course, when he does have to punish someone for giving a flying elbow to the head of a Wing's player, we will have to hear about how he is biased. :rolleyes: Better be looking forward to that the next few playoff years

Guest CaliWingsNut

This step up definately gives him legs for a push for commish when the weasel's contract is up... comittee idea is FANTASTIC!

It is EXTREMELY unlikely Shanahan, or any player, will be a commissioner.

The NHL has requirements for the position that I doubt Shanahan has (like a law degree). He maybe great at his job, but I dunno I'd like him defending the NHL in court (not that I like Bettman doing it either).

The NHL has requirements for the position that I doubt Shanahan has (like a law degree). He maybe great at his job, but I dunno I'd like him defending the NHL in court (not that I like Bettman doing it either).

I agree. I think someone like Shanahan or any former player would let emotions play into it to much to do something like that. It takes a special someone for that job. I do love him taking over the disciplinary role thought. I would also like to see a former Ref on the board along with a lawyer that knows the rules inside and out.

One down, one to go.

Your turn to f*** off now, Bettman.

And what exactly has Bettman done to be fired....errr resign? Let me guess...his love for Crysby? No no no, the fact he took substantially more money to sign with OLN/VS than ESPN? Record profits each year since the lockout? His rat face? The All-Star game fiasco involving Datsyuk/Lidstrom that was approved by every GM (including our own)? The Octopus thing that is against city ordinance and league rules? The increasing cap every year? Cap circumvention that was allowed for Red Wing players but not for Kovy? You know he isn't in charge of making rules right? he has a committee and council for that.

From today's print edition of Toronto Star (for some reason the article is not online):

Shanahan will bring his trademark dry sense of humour to the job. For example, asked if some will accuse him of favouring friends like Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman he deadpanned: "You're assuming Steve and I are still friends".

Stu Grimson is up for the job.

Now that's a nice thought. Stu Grimson has the background of playing, and also the smarts, to pull it off. He'd make Buttman look like a nursery school teacher.

And what exactly has Bettman done to be fired....errr resign? Let me guess...his love for Crysby? No no no, the fact he took substantially more money to sign with OLN/VS than ESPN? Record profits each year since the lockout? His rat face? The All-Star game fiasco involving Datsyuk/Lidstrom that was approved by every GM (including our own)? The Octopus thing that is against city ordinance and league rules? The increasing cap every year? Cap circumvention that was allowed for Red Wing players but not for Kovy? You know he isn't in charge of making rules right? he has a committee and council for that.

You're smart enough to know the difference between the Kovulchuk and Zetterberg/Franzen deals.

The GMs agreed to the suspension, not the last minute Crosby clause handed down by Bettman, while on a phone call with Crosby and Shero.

Revenues have grown, but lagged behind all major sports leagues in N. America and numerous non-major sports.

He allowed the game of hockey to deteriate to such a degree that the #1 sports network in N. America would rather air bowling and poker over hockey.

He alienates the fan base of the NHL in favor of attracting new fans in new markets.

Bettman can't even win his personal vendetta against dead, boiled cephalopods.

And I would say he has a weasel face, not a rat face.

Sorry for the derail, but I thought those were some pretty blanket statements that at least deserved a quick riposte.

Edited by egroen