• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#41 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:19 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't the Wings the 2nd highest scoring team last season?

How'd that work out in the playoffs though? A few injuries to regulars and we're done for. We used to have fantastic depth, now it's just alright. We could've used one extra scoring forward to round out the top 6, instead we re-sign both Eaves and Miller and now dont have any space.

#NOMOREKINDL

#42 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

id try something like this

Filppula - Datsyuk -Holmstrom

Hudler- Zetterberg - Franzen

Cleary - Helm - Bertuzzi

Eaves - Abs - Mursak

#43 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

okay...genius...

i'm going to talk you through this...nice...and...slow...and...simple...okay??

how many forwards can you dress on a team??

how many forwards do you usually see carried on a team??

12-14

how many forwards did we have under contract before july 1?

12 (1-datsyuk, 2-zetterberg, 3-franzen, 4-filppula, 5-hudler, 6-cleary, 7-holmstrom, 8-bertuzzi, 9-helm, 10-abdelkader, 11-mursak, 12-emmerton

how many forwards do we have under contract since after july 1?

14 (13-eaves, 14-miller)

...so now, you, genius, tell me how the signing of eaves and miller does not effect the potential signing of a "jagr type"?

or, as I'm sure you're too stupid to do, you can just acknowledge that you were wrong and move on.

Kenny?

I've never seen a dude get so defensive, you're like a zitty 14 yr old kid who's gf just broke up with him..you just set yourself up for it. Go turn on your Bieber, have a milkshake, fire up your line thread program on your Ipad and chill out.

Edited by puckbags, 02 July 2011 - 03:25 PM.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#44 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

I haven't posted much, I mainly just get on here for updates and to read, but I figured I'd throw my two cents out there. I've been feeling as frustrated as any of you. However, like some have pointed out... it's the second day of UFA, hopefully something will come up that surprises us all.

I feel like Ken Holland was put in a position this off season that he hasn't been in throughout his career at GM for the Wings. After the lockout, with the salary cap and such, there hasn't been a time that he has needed to pull a major overhaul in any aspect of the team. Minor changes to 3rd and 4th lines and third pairings on the D (excluding the Stuart trade), but nothing that was close to the Rafalski deal.

I, personally, believe that Raffi had become a liability in the late stages of his career. After he came back from injury last season, he continually made bonehead mistakes. Now, he wasn't bad, but his first pass wasn't as crisp and he didn't skate with the same authority (hence the retirement... obviously he felt the same). In replacing him, I strongly believe that Detroit should have made a push for Burns before July 1st, as he, IMHO, was the best defenseman in this free agent class. But that's water under the bridge, as it didn't happen.

I strongly feel that we have missed the boat on signing a strong, known defenseman in this offseason. However, I don't think that all is lost. Being a Wings fan my entire life, they have been able to pull a sort of "plug-and-play" when they lose a quality player either to retirement or free agency. Here's to hoping that Kindl, Smith (if he's ready), or even, God forbid, Ericcson or Commodore can step in and fill the role.

I think the only way we secure a solid 2nd line scorer is to make a trade... and hopefully that trade involves Mr. Hudler.

Thanks for reading, all.

you seem too reasonable for this board. need more raw, irrational emotion in your posts.

I've never seen a dude get so defensive, you're like a zitty 14 yr old kid who's gf just broke up with him..you just set yourself up for it. Go turn on your Bieber, have a milkshake, fire up your line thread program on your Ipad and chill out.

someone was being an idiot. and i showed them why they were being an idiot. don't be a dickhead just because i did the same to you in another thread and you're ticked about it.

also, don't respond to this. if you do, i won't respond to you. there are a ton of ppl here worth listening to, and you're not one of them.

Cleary - Helm - Bertuzzi

Eaves - Abs - Mursak

that's actually...pretty good sounding. eaves and mursak would be switched. love the first line with pav and val together...homer helps there. it would be hard for huds not to get going with hank AND mule on his line. i don't like having bert in the bottom six bc i think he's bad defensively, but if you're going to do it, that's exactly how you should do it. that might even turn into a respectable checking line if he gets his head out of his arse. good skaters in helm and cleary make up for him defensively too. then that fourth line, i really like. three great defensive players, all with a little scoring touch.

Edited by blueadams, 02 July 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#45 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

i still think the offense needs a little work.

huds needs new scenery. I like zherdev for 2 mil. capable of putting up 20+goals

lazy sure but what team was he apart of that was going to improve that?

#46 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:18 AM

someone was being an idiot. and i showed them why they were being an idiot. don't be a dickhead just because i did the same to you in another thread and you're ticked about it.

also, don't respond to this. if you do, i won't respond to you. there are a ton of ppl here worth listening to, and you're not one of them.

The irony in that alone is just awesome, we all try not to listen to you but f*** you make 343432 line threads a week, you cluster f*** the main board, its pure entertainment now.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#47 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:41 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, weren't the Wings the 2nd highest scoring team last season?

If that's true, it really didn't seem like it. I remember a ton of offensive dry spells, both last year and the year before.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#48 matemate

matemate

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:24 AM

Franzen-Datsyuk-Zetterberg
Purcell-Filppula-Cleary
Eaves-Helm-Bertuzzi
Miller-Abdelkader-Mursak

#49 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 08:04 AM

okay...genius...

i'm going to talk you through this...nice...and...slow...and...simple...okay??

how many forwards can you dress on a team??

how many forwards do you usually see carried on a team??

12-14

how many forwards did we have under contract before july 1?

12 (1-datsyuk, 2-zetterberg, 3-franzen, 4-filppula, 5-hudler, 6-cleary, 7-holmstrom, 8-bertuzzi, 9-helm, 10-abdelkader, 11-mursak, 12-emmerton

how many forwards do we have under contract since after july 1?

14 (13-eaves, 14-miller)

...so now, you, genius, tell me how the signing of eaves and miller does not effect the potential signing of a "jagr type"?

or, as I'm sure you're too stupid to do, you can just acknowledge that you were wrong and move on.

Yeah, or you just trade Hudler to free up a spot? Maybe? Which is what Holland's been trying to do? (Oh and the bolded words/statement really makes convincing me that much easier. As far as I know I haven't insulted you in a post or reduced myself to childish name-calling).

#50 xBflinker

xBflinker

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:33 AM

I like the lines like this...

Filppula-Datsyuk-Cleary
Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Franzen
Hudler-Helm-Eaves
Holmstrom-Abdelkader-Miller/Mursak/Emmerton

Would also like to see Tatar a little more this season.

#51 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

Cleary - Helm - Bertuzzi

Eaves - Abs - Mursak

This is pretty close to the lineup I've been posting, aside from the swap of Helm/Abs and Cleary/Franzen. One thing; If I have those bottom six, and put Cleary and Helm together, the third man is either Eaves or Mursak. So that would be:

Filppula/Datsyuk/Holmstrom
Hudler/Zetterberg/Franzen
Cleary/Helm/Eaves
Mursak/Abdelkader/Bertuzzi

My lines have been:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Cleary
Franzen/Abdelkader/Bertuzzi
Mursak/Helm/Eaves

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#52 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Cleary

Abdelkader-Filppula-Hudler

Miller-Helm-Eaves
"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#53 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, or you just trade Hudler to free up a spot? Maybe? Which is what Holland's been trying to do? (Oh and the bolded words/statement really makes convincing me that much easier. As far as I know I haven't insulted you in a post or reduced myself to childish name-calling).

There was a report that said Holland was offering Hudler at the draft. Now it's "we're set at forward."

Doesn't that sound more like he was trying to get good picks for Hudler than just get rid of Hudler?

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#54 KDDRWINGS1

KDDRWINGS1

Calmer than you.

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Zherdev ($2 million)
Franzen - Zetterberg - Langenbrunner ($2 million)
Cleary - Filppula - Holmstrom
Abdelkader - Helm - Eaves
Miller Mursak

Yeah....I know

#55 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Zherdev ($2 million)
Franzen - Zetterberg - Langenbrunner ($2 million)
Cleary - Filppula - Holmstrom
Abdelkader - Helm - Eaves
Miller Mursak

Yeah....I know

Is Langenbrunner really top six right now? He seems more of a "Drake" type of guy you get solely for their impact in the playoffs.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#56 Dtown1340

Dtown1340

Draftee

• 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

If that's true, it really didn't seem like it. I remember a ton of offensive dry spells, both last year and the year before.

They were. Wings followed right behind Vancouver in Goals For per game.

#1- Vancouver- 3.15 g/g.
#2- Detroit- 3.13 g/g.
#3- Philadelphia- 3.12 g/g.
#4- Chicago- 3.07 g/g.
#5- Boston- 2.98 g/g.

IMO... the Offense isn't the problem. The problem last season was the fact that we ranked 23rd in defense and need to get that shored up. I think the Ian White and Mike Commodore signings were very solid ones in the context of what they were signed to do. And... if either can step their game up, along with some surprises from the players we already have signed or even some young fellas in training camp, the D could be very surprising next year. We'll have to wait and see.

Go Wings!

#57 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

This is pretty close to the lineup I've been posting, aside from the swap of Helm/Abs and Cleary/Franzen. One thing; If I have those bottom six, and put Cleary and Helm together, the third man is either Eaves or Mursak. So that would be:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Franzen
Cleary/Helm/Eaves
Mursak/Abdelkader/Bertuzzi

My lines have been:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Cleary
Franzen/Abdelkader/Bertuzzi
Mursak/Helm/Eaves

TBH i like the first suggestion there, with bert playing on the 4th line. I just didn't want to have both Holmstrom or Bertuzzi in the top 6, or even the bottom 6 together either. Having Bert with Abs could actually turn out to be a positive thing, the speedy Mursak wouldn't hurt either. Then Helm and Eaves can play together which seems to do them good, and if Cleary plays as good as he did last year, that becomes a very strong checking line.

#58 KDDRWINGS1

KDDRWINGS1

Calmer than you.

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:43 PM

Is Langenbrunner really top six right now? He seems more of a "Drake" type of guy you get solely for their impact in the playoffs.

I think on a line with Z and Mule he can be. If Holland gets a couple guys who can skate with the top 2 lines it helps spread the talent to the 3rd line. For what ever it would cost to get a guy like him or Drury I think it's worth the risk because you still have a ton a cap space at the deadline, especially if they can move Hudler. If they don't produce on the top line 2 lines he can move to Flips wing.

#59 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

Cleary - Helm - Bertuzzi

Eaves - Abs - Mursak

Cleary - Abs - Bertuzzi

Eaves - Helm-Mursak

I love the combos. I just think that Abby would do great with Clears and Bert, they are all cut from the same cloth so to speak. That leaves Helm on four, which is almost my favorite line on the team. The "Wheels" line as I will call it of Eaves, Helm and Mursak. These guys will leave almost any line one thru four spinning round watching them fly away. I am really digging this team right now, and I have a feeling it's a best for last sort of thing...we shall see.

Edited by 13dangledangle, 03 July 2011 - 10:21 PM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#60 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Cleary - Abs - Bertuzzi

Eaves - Helm-Mursak

I love the combos. I just think that Abby would do great with Clears and Bert, they are all cut from the same cloth so to speak. That leaves Helm on four, which is almost my favorite line on the team. The "Wheels" line as I will call it of Eaves, Helm and Mursak. These guys will leave almost any line one thru four spinning round watching them fly away. I am really digging this team right now, and I have a feeling it's a best for last sort of thing...we shall see.

I totally agree with these lines, but i also see homer and cleary swapping spots from time to time depending on the matchup with opposition. but ya, agree with the abs, helm positions. i see babs playing that 4th line A LOT. These are very balanced and i would be confident playing all of them anytime. I just wish kenny could get one of yandle or bogo, cause that would make our team scary good.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?