• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

smintlin

Red Wings sign Ty Conklin to 1 year contract

Rate this topic

Did you happen to notice the team playing in front of him the past two years?

and coming from the "could not be more correct department" - NFM!

It's funny that people just look at his stats and not the WAY he played there, it's hard to put up stellar numbers when your defense in front of you is a complete SIEVE... also, Conklin is not the next coming of Dom Hasek, he is what he is a damn solid BACKUP, which, coincidentally, is what we needed...

This is the perfect fit.

Other than Larsson coming back this is exactly what I was hoping for so it's a great signing and I'm thrilled they were able to get it done. Conks is a good solid back-up and I think will do great again here in Detroit!! Welcome Back Conks!!

I feel the same way. Solid signing of Conks at a low cap hit. However, the one thing this off season has shown us is that we need some young trade assets with Holland's refusal to over-pay UFA's, probably even more so next year, to fill in some holes from our older players leaving and under-performers. As it stands now, any young guy that has some value, we don't want to get rid of. If Larsson has attitude problems and what-not, he's still a good player. Let him build up some value by actually giving him some exposure, and trade him if he doesn't fit well here. At least get something for him, and he'd be a young guy that we wouldn't mind getting rid of assuming he has those problems. Probably even better for the Wings, he could end up being a good fit mentally as he matures, and you have another young stud goalie. With J-Mac as a third, it seems less risky. Oh well, Holland is so predictable sometimes or maybe there's some friction between him and Howard that we don't know about. Being a long-time Wings fan, I have to assume it's Holland's cautiousness.

Awesome. Totally expected, but a very solid signing. This is probably the strongest goalie tandem the Wings have had since 2009 due to Osgood's injuries the past two seasons. Howard is finally coming into his own and Conklin is one of the best backups in the league. I have a good feeling about this team this year. I think the motivation problem is solved, we are much stronger defensively and without major injuries the chemistry from 08 and 09 should return.

I think this is a great signing for a few reasons. First of all, Conklin has proven to be a reliable back-up goalie for us in the past. Sure, he had two mediocre seasons but that was playing for the BLUES! Now he is back in Hockeytown where I think he will be able to perform just as good as he did in 2009. He is a great back-up goalie who I think should play about 30-35 games this season and will give us a good chance to win all of those games when Howie rests. Another good thing is that Conks is a lot like Ozzie... he is calm and does not let things bother him. So, again, just like Ozzie, I think Conks will be able to develop a good relationship with Howie which will help him mature.

The last thing I life is that it is a million bucks, which still leaves us 6 million to play with. I do not know if Kenny will make a move now or wait until the trade deadline, but I know he will not let that 6 million go to waste. I really like the offseason moves so far, and I think we will have a good team on the ice this year.

Guest Crymson

He sucked the last two years.

.... he had a .921 sv% in 2009-2010.

and coming from the "could not be more correct department" - NFM!

It's funny that people just look at his stats and not the WAY he played there, it's hard to put up stellar numbers when your defense in front of you is a complete SIEVE... also, Conklin is not the next coming of Dom Hasek, he is what he is a damn solid BACKUP, which, coincidentally, is what we needed...

This is the perfect fit.

He did struggle last season, but not the season before. Granted, the Blues had a very depleted roster last season.

Edited by Crymson

6 Million left if he is taking a million.

I said before that I actually wanted to see Larsson play in the NHL, so I am disappointed by that. But Conklin was choice four for me. Osgood, Larsson, Volkoun, Conklin. I am by no means mad, and I am sure he will do fine as long as Howard is healthy.

Must have been old numbers I was looking at. Just under 6.5mil left.

Must have been old numbers I was looking at. Just under 6.5mil left.

I know we're splitting hairs here, but I've got their cap space at $6,828,788 with the removal of Emmerton and McDonald and the addition of ConkBlock all included.

13 Forwards, 7 Defensemen & 2 Goalies

I'm stoked that Conklin came back. I think he is a far better goalie than people give him credit for. His numbers in the '09 season were outstanding for a guy who had to take over the starting job for a bit, while Osgood got his s*** together.

Welcome back Conks!

Lets get this season underway!

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

I know we're splitting hairs here, but I've got their cap space at $6,828,788 with the removal of Emmerton and McDonald and the addition of ConkBlock all included.

13 Forwards, 7 Defensemen & 2 Goalies

Remove Hudler and that is Stamkos money...

Get it done Kenny... :ph34r: