• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 southwaleswing

southwaleswing

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a psychologist at the University of Glamorgan in the UK. I am currently doing some research on the addictive nature of being a sports fan and how it impacts on peoples lives. My research team and I have created a survey looking at some of these ideas and now we need some proper fans to have a go at it!! It takes about 5-10 minutes to complete and will hopefully make you think about how big a fan you actually are! If you follow the link below it will take you to the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7GLB5YY

I'd be really grateful if you could have a go!

Cheers!!

#2 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

<---

#3 Ozzie30

Ozzie30

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

I don't have a problem, you have a problem!
RIP #24

#4 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:14 PM

And I can stop anytime I want.

#5 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

I just don't want to right now.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#6 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

But why would you. :D

#7 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Addiction is becoming an extremely overused term.

I view addiction as things you wish you could quit, but are unable to.

Nicotine is an addiction... Liquor can be an addiction... Sports you can turn off the TV...

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#8 wingnut40

wingnut40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:32 PM

Nicotine is an addiction... Liquor can be an addiction... Sports you can turn off the TV...

That's debatable. :P
Go rest high on that mountain, cause son your work on Earth is done. Go to Heaven a'shouting love for the Father and the Son. Ruslan Salei, Brad McCrimmon, Stefan Liv, Pavol Demitra, and the entire Lokomotiv team.

#9 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

Addiction is becoming an extremely overused term.

I view addiction as things you wish you could quit, but are unable to.

You know how many times i have gotten pissed and said i wasn't going to watch another game but still watched the next time they were on. or gotten close to the playoffs and it seemed like the wings were coasting and i said i will not watch the rest of the reg season games until playoffs start..but i watch anyways. seems just like an addiction.whats overused is the term overused :P
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#10 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

I'll say I'm addicted to sports. I like Hockey, but I like Baseball and Football too. It just so happens out of all my teams, the Red Wings by far have had the most success, so I've paid the most attention to them.

I only follow Basketball when the Pistons are in the playoffs, or the Spartans make the Final 4.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#11 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

Is it bad I would cancel a wedding for a Wings playoff game?
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#12 PrairieDawg

PrairieDawg

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:18 AM

I feel like I'm on hfboards and LGW at least an hour or so everyday looking for any news on the Wings. I think its just that I've learned so much about all the players and all the prospects, the coaches, the strategies they use and everything. Its just so deep and interesting to me, and I'm always just looking for anything that looks promising for the future of the Wings. I really think the best job in the world would be the GM of a sports team, specifically the Red Wings.

#13 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:33 AM

Sports you can turn off the TV...

I do that every now and again if I should be studying/working or can't stand the effort they're showing but I just CAN'T HELP but turn it back on... I just have to... Don't look at me...

#14 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,904 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:10 AM

Let's do a quick quiz (just for fun).

Answer the following questions without looking them up on the internet or asking anyone else. Just go with what's in the top of your head.

1) Who was the coach between Bowman and Babcock?

2) What number draft pick was Henrik Zetterberg?

3) Which player was known as Papa Bear?

4) After Larry Aurie, who wore #6?

5) What is the birthplace of Gordie Howe?

6) Who was the first Finn to play for the Wings?

7) What is the occupation of Chris Osgood's wife?

8) What is the name of Todd Bertuzzi's son?

9) What is the most recent season in which two sets of Wings had the same birthdays (albeit different years)?

10) Which player from a rival team has a son named after Shanny?

0-1 correct: You are on the wrong board. The Red Wing Shoe Company does not advertise here.
2-3 correct: You are aware that hockey exists. You might feel more at home on the Panthers' forum. Uh, Florida Panthers, that is. Yes, they exist.
4-6 correct: You have a life outside of the Red Wings. Stop it.
7-9 correct: You need a life outside of the Red Wings.
10 correct: You are an addict.

Edit to add answers.
For answers, hit reply and they will magically appear.
1) Dave Lewis
2) 210
3) Slava Fetisov
4) Cummy Burton
5) Floral, SK
6) Filppula
7) Owner of a yoga studio
8) Tag
9) 08-09 (Sammy and Franzen Dec. 23 and Hossa and Kronwall Jan 12)
10) Claude Lemieux

Edited by 55fan, 24 July 2011 - 09:16 AM.

#15 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

Whether Addiction is overused or if it's even the right term but I have to say I'm very addicted to the Wings, and I'm proud of it. I'm a die-hard Wings fan and a die-hard Hockey fan. Yes I crave info about My Team and all of hockey all the time even in the dead of July. The Wings are my team and I'll be addicted if I want and I'm just fine with it lol. GO RED WINGS!!!!

#16 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:38 AM

Is it bad I would cancel a wedding for a Wings playoff game?

This is why we scheduled our wedding for mid-July, to avoid any playoff conflicts.

Edited by VM1138, 24 July 2011 - 11:38 AM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#17 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Perhaps, but I'm also addicited to other things like cartoons or watching people get hurt physically (as long as there's no permanent damage :P). *shrugs*

#18 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

I was hoping it would tell me at the end. Though I think I know the answer.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#19 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

To tell you the truth, I used to be more addicted. The more I watch hockey, the more I'm getting disgusted of the officiating. If they don't fix that aspect of the game they are going to lose a lot of fans.

#20 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:59 AM

9) What is the most recent season in which two sets of Wings had the same birthdays (albeit different years)?

Don't know if I should tell you this, but I share a birthday with Kronner :) didn't know it was Hossa's too though...

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life