#1 13GoWings40

13GoWings40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

Thanks for the memories Kris!

http://www.mlive.com...r_to_annou.html

DETROIT -- Forward Kris Draper will announce his retirement following 17 seasons with the Detroit Red Wings Tuesday at an 11 a.m. news conference at Joe Louis Arena.

The team has announced the news conference will include Draper and general manager Ken Holland. A source confirmed that Draper, 40, will announce his retirement.

Draper has been one of the NHL's premier grinders and penalty killers for the past two decades.

Former Red Wings assistant general manager Doug MacLean acquired Draper from the Winnipeg Jets on June 30, 1993 for future considerations, which turned out to be $1.

Draper wound up playing 1,157 games, picking up 161 goals and 203 assists for 364 points.

He ranks fifth on the Red Wings' all-time list for games played (1,137), behind only Gordie Howe, Steve Yzerman, Alex Delvecchio and Nicklas Lidstrom.

Draper appeared in 222 playoff games for Detroit (24 goals, 22 assists), second only to Lidstrom in franchise history.

Draper was one of five players to play for the Red Wings' four most-recent Stanley Cup championship teams (1997, 1998, 2002 and 2008). The others are Lidstrom, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty and Tomas Holmstrom).

Draper centered the highly effective Grind Line, with Maltby and McCarty (Joe Kocur was an original member), for many seasons.

Draper's best season was 2003-04, when he recorded career highs in goals (24) and points (40) despite playing only 67 games due to a late-season shoulder injury. He won the Selke Trophy that season as the NHL's top defensive forward.

A third-round pick of the Jets in 1989 (62nd overall), Draper played only 20 games over parts of three seasons in Winnipeg.

Draper hoped to play another season with the Red Wings, but the club does not have an available roster spot, already having 23 players under contract. Draper was not interested in signing a two-way deal or coming to training camp on a tryout.

He is expected to receive a job within the organization.

#2 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

this offseason just gets better and better.

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#3 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for everything Kris. Enjoy retirement, I'm going to miss seeing you out there.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#4 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

Draper is a bad-ass mother trucker. If he retires he'll be missed and thanked for many great seasons and memories.

#5 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

You know every time the Wings youtube channel interviews Draper and he talks about his kids, he smiles and brightens right up and starts going on about his kids. Even if the Wings just lost the finals, Kris would still brighten up when asked "Hows the wife and kids?" I think this'll be good for him to have more time with the family.

We're gonna miss #33.

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska

#6 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Good move. As big of a fan I am of Draper, there's no one on the roster I'd like to see let go so Draper can have one more year.

I appreciate Maltby, Draper, and Osgood knowing when it's time to retire. I'm sure the Wings will offer Draper a job within the organization.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#7 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

A man who always stood up for his team, and payed for it with his face. A true modern day warrior.

Thanks for all you have done over the years we will miss you #33

Eff Chicago

#8 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

If true, thanks for the memories Kris...the best thing ever bought for a dollar....

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#9 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

A man who always stood up for his team, and payed for it with his face. A true modern day warrior.

:thumbup: Not only did he trigger the Wings-Avs rivalry, one of his biggest goal as a Wing came in 2008 WCF when the puck hit him in his teeth.

I'll miss Drapes. I always enjoyed watching him and Maltby lead the warmups. End of an era, again. I'm using that term a lot lately.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#10 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

Trolololol.

I get sick of that.

I also get sick of realizing in life you are going to end up missing people. Draper is one of those guys... He brought as much to this team as any member of the Red Wings, because he brought a ton to the team off the Ice.

I will miss him.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#11 Jedi

Jedi

Fire and Blood

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,780 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

1137 GP in the Winged Wheel. 158 goals. 203 assists. 1 Selke Trophy. 4 Stanley Cups.

Hard to find a better return for $1. Best dollar the Ilitch's ever spent.

Thanks for the memories, Kris!

bdc4.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls..."

#12 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:28 PM

If the rumor is true... I'm sad to see ya go Drapes. I'd say good luck in the future, but don't think you'll need my luck

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#13 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for everything Draper!
be about it!

#14 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

This one has been picking up some minuses, but how could you disagree?

We needed these guys to bow out at some point, and these guys (Malts, Drap, Raffi, Ozzie) showed alot of class and humility when they decided to hang them up.

Just because the guys who are replacing them havent shown what they can do yet, they will this season. They just need their chance.

Im really looking forward to this season.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#15 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,001 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

Not really sure why this is getting neg'd so much. Draper has always been great but at this point he is baggage and is just taking up a roster spot. He's had a good career, but it's time for him to go. Let the younger kids step up.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#16 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

We needed these guys to bow out at some point, and these guys (Malts, Drap, Raffi, Ozzie) showed alot of class and humility when they decided to hang them up.

Just because the guys who are replacing them havent shown what they can do yet, they will this season. They just need their chance.

Just give Drapes his due first, then say you're happy with the move.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#17 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

So the Grind Line officially bites the dust.

Thank you for all Drapes,enjoy your retirement

#18 rwfan007

rwfan007

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

I love Drapes. He was a class act and a force with Maltby on the PK. Unfortunately, there is a logjam of players waiting to get into the lineup, and Draper was increasingly being sat last season. Not one single bad word will be said about Draper, but unfortunately careers end when you don't really want them to with the young guys needing to get into the game. He was a key part of the Wings for many years during our glory years winning 4 cups, and he will forever be known as a champion.

Posted Image

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - General George S. Patton

#19 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Wow that make Lids and Homer as the only players left from the 97/98 Cup teams

#20 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:14 PM

Much like the Ozzy thread, it's more about not being an ******* than the actual truth of the statement.

I think it's best for the Wings to give young guys a chance and for Drapes to hang 'em up. But he's been a warrior for the Wings and no matter what's best for the team, it's at the same time a little sad to see him go.

So there's a time and a place to dance a little jig about him retiring. Unless you're doing it just to bait people and troll, this pretty clearly isn't the place.