http://www.thesmokin...t-being-average

Pretty interesting read in all.

Posted Image

#2 droz

droz

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

Once upon a time Draper was one of, if not the best face-off man in the league, that's not very average.

Edited by droz, 07 November 2011 - 08:42 PM.

#3 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:00 PM

Drapers prime had him making Olympic teams because of his PK ability.

I dont think average is how I would describe him at all, he was always one of the best defensive forwards in the game, one of, and probably the best for a while at PKing and was the best year in and year out on faceoffs.

Average offensively for a third liner maybe

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#4 Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens

Rookie

• Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:45 PM

In the words of the Rock, Draper knew his damn role, and he shut his damn mouth. Absolutely no reason to say anything negative about this guy. Saying any athlete that's won a prestigious award in his prime, numerous championships, and played 17 years in a professional sport is "average" is just a stupid observation. Kris Draper was a great bottom 6 forward.

#5 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

If Draper was average, I want a team full of average players.
"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#6 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:37 PM

Is it just me, or have guys like Draper, McCarty, and Maltby made role players cool?

Ever since the 1997 Cup run, when I played sports, I was ok being a role player if it was a sport I wasn't the best at. If I'm not the star it's fine. Just hustle, make my plays, and help the team win. The stars on the team appreciate the hard work and know you'll be there if they have a bad game.

The current sports I play in Leagues are Baseball and Flag Football (I'm past the age of wanting to get tackled :lol:). To many times I've heard guys complain about where they're hitting in the order in Baseball, or not getting enough passes in Football. As already posted, just know your role and shut your mouth! I'll add, just go out there, play as a team, and win!

I'd much rather win a championship and be a role player, than be the star and not win.

Edit: Just read the article, I'm not a big fan of what was written, it almost made Draper seem like he was a right place at the right time guy, and was only lucky. Drapes was one of the hardest workers on the team! There was a reason he wore a "A" for a while.

I do however appreciate that he was mentioned.

Edited by Barrie, 07 November 2011 - 11:43 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#7 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

Maybe its because when I was growing up, guys like McCarty, Draper, Maltby, Kocur, and Lapointe were such instrumental parts to our success, but I find myself liking the "grinders" and "role players" and "enforcers" more than the "stars". They don't get the publicity that the star players get, but their role is just as important. When I look at teams like Washington, many will admire Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Green. I always find myself liking guys like Jason Chimera and Matt Hendricks. It's not that I don't like watching guys like Kane and Toews make amazing plays and split defenses, but I appreciate the guys like Carcillo and Bickell, who work just as hard (if not harder), and don't get nearly the appreciation from the media. Not so say the media hates grinders, but they are often left in the shadows.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#8 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:41 AM

Silly, obnoxious article. Obviously written by someone who knows little about hockey, too, as he failed to note Bure's presence on the Panthers.

#9 stinky fish taco

stinky fish taco

FEED ME NEGS

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:48 AM

Secret to moderate success: Played with guys way better than him for a long time, weak face.

on point right here

Helm is a perennial Selke candidate

LOL

#10 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:56 AM

I think referring to any athlete who made it to the semi-professional ranks, let alone the pros and even further, one that had a LONG career at the highest level, as average, is down right asinine...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#11 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

Is it just me, or have guys like Draper, McCarty, and Maltby made role players cool?

Ever since the 1997 Cup run, when I played sports, I was ok being a role player if it was a sport I wasn't the best at. If I'm not the star it's fine. Just hustle, make my plays, and help the team win. The stars on the team appreciate the hard work and know you'll be there if they have a bad game.

They have. I've been teaching my ten year old brother a lot about sports. As a kid, he naturally wants to be the ball hog and superstar and when he can't he gets frustrated. I've used Maltby and Draper (he wouldn't really understand using McCarty) as examples of how you can help the team win by working hard and finding what you're good at, even if it's not scoring. He loved both those guys and eventually it'll hit home that being a great role player is just as important as being a superstar.

Maybe its because when I was growing up, guys like McCarty, Draper, Maltby, Kocur, and Lapointe were such instrumental parts to our success, but I find myself liking the "grinders" and "role players" and "enforcers" more than the "stars". They don't get the publicity that the star players get, but their role is just as important. When I look at teams like Washington, many will admire Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Green. I always find myself liking guys like Jason Chimera and Matt Hendricks. It's not that I don't like watching guys like Kane and Toews make amazing plays and split defenses, but I appreciate the guys like Carcillo and Bickell, who work just as hard (if not harder), and don't get nearly the appreciation from the media. Not so say the media hates grinders, but they are often left in the shadows.

It's a lot easier to relate to a guy like McCarty, who plays in a terrible rock band, than to Zetterberg, who owns a clothing line and married a supermodel.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#12 GSBrooks13

GSBrooks13

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

There's nothing like being in the right place at the right time for over 17 years.. :rolleyes:

"Push the dirt off your jersey then go for the cup or the trophy or the ring, champion no matter what."

#13 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

I think referring to any athlete who made it to the semi-professional ranks, let alone the pros and even further, one that had a LONG career at the highest level, as average, is down right asinine...

Very true! Anyone who makes the semi-pros or pros, was by far the best player in his Leagues prior to making it big.

Also I think there's a lot of parents out there who need to realize if their kid isn't the best player in his League, he's got no chance at being a professional athlete.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#14 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

When you're talking about excelled at being average, I think of guys like Doug Brown more than Draper. Though even Brown had pretty good playoff numbers and could hang with the Russian 5. I'd even go with Maltby over Draper.

Draper had speed that was well beyond average. Plus faceoffs. Plus defensive play. It's strange to pick a guy as one of the top examples of average play when he won a Selke, but i think the traded for a dollar story has a lot to do with the choice.

#15 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,451 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

My first thought was that the author probably doesn't have a lot of experience in general. I don't know how old he is, but I do know that we was born sometime after 1986, so at the oldest, he's in his early 20s.

That said, I understand the point. Normally, for a guy to last in the NHL for 20 years, you are talking about STAR players, in a lot of cases, alltime greats. Draper is pretty average compared to most of the guys who have played that long. There is no doubt he is of average skill, which requires him to work so hard. The faceoff proficiency has been brought up and it's funny, if you look at who the best faceoff guys have been in the league, a lot of the best of the best are actually fairly average players.

Someone mentioned that calling anybody at the pro or semi pro level "average" is asinine...which I sort of agree with, but that term is used in context to other pro players, not to the general public.

Very true! Anyone who makes the semi-pros or pros, was by far the best player in his Leagues prior to making it big.

Also I think there's a lot of parents out there who need to realize if their kid isn't the best player in his League, he's got no chance at being a professional athlete.

This isn't always true, maybe at a high level. It's true that a lot of role players in the NHL were actually stars and big scorers in juniors and prior, but there are many, many exceptions to that. There are a lot of players that were grinders throughout, or were more of a scorer but still not the best on their team or even close to the best in the league.

Then you have enforcers.....different story obviously.

#16 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

I just love how wrong he is on all of them too. "Bill Buckner well he blew the world series for Boston. Nevermind the runs that the pitching change allowed or that bobble in center field. All Buckner! And where does Buckner get off winning the batting title?!?!?! he is supposed to suck for the purpose of my article."

This is why I feel sports writing is bulls***, and amateur sports writing is even worse than that.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#17 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

Detroit loves average guys...

Brandon Inge, Bobby Higginson, Darren McCarty, Kid Rock (The literal embodiment of Taylor, MI)...

#18 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

Not really Drapes but definitely Jay Pandolfo.
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#19 RedWingBlitz

RedWingBlitz

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Playing for a long time at the professional level is not average.

average people get cut/released/waived.

this is a list of people who werent elite, but somehow contributed enough to be a professional.

#20 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

Just finished a post defending the Draper. Doesn't need it, but why not.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.