• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MabusIncarnate

Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium Finalized

Rate this topic

202 posts in this topic

Per this article, ticket sales are handled by the NHL - UofM will have nothing to do with it. Does this rule out UofM alum, etc. as ticket sources?

Some info from Bob McKenzie via Twitter:

Winter Classic on Jan. 1, 2013, will be DET-TOR at Univ of Michigan (The Big House) but it's the only event being held there.

Outdoor rink at Comerica Park in downtown Detroit will be site of a weeklong Hockeytown Fan Fest, so to speak. Events there will include:

Two GLI NCAA college games, Marlies vs Griffins AHL game and OHL doubleheader with PLY vs LDN and SAG vs WDR, plus high school/youth games.

Marquee event for Comerica on Dec. 31 will be Legends/Alumni game between ex-Leafs and ex-Wings. Then it's off to Big House on Jan. 1.

NHL may need to clone icemaker Dan Craig. Biggest challenge will maintaining ice quality at Comerica with all that usage. Good luck, Dan-o.

Correction to earlier tweet: all 4 GLI college games, not just 2 of them, will be played outdoors at Comerica Park next December.

Some info from Bob McKenzie via Twitter:

WOW!!!!

Outdoor rink at Comerica Park in downtown Detroit will be site of a weeklong Hockeytown Fan Fest, so to speak. Events there will include:

Two The GLI NCAA college games, Marlies vs Griffins AHL game and OHL doubleheader with PLY vs LDN and SAG vs WDR, plus high school/youth games.

Marquee event for Comerica on Dec. 31 will be Legends/Alumni game between ex-Leafs and ex-Wings.

This is freaking awesome!!! The Comerica events are much much better than I expected! I wonder if the high school games will also keep the Michigan vs. Ontario theme?? :D

Mike & Marian Ilitch, Babs, Kenny, and other team officials are in attendance.

The way Buttman is talking, the Big House is going to have nothing to do with it.

God I hope he is wrong!

I take that back! It's official!

Sooooo jacked!!!

Could Bettman sound any LESS interested right now?

He's being forced to promote Detroit a little. I wasn't able to watch the video here at work but I have no doubt he is not acting professionally if he isn't excited about this.

I am beyond excited for this and all of the games and the GLI going on at Comerica this sounds like its going to absolutely huge.

I'd just like to take a second to thank Mike Ilitch. He doesn't take over the Wings, chances are we wouldn't be here right now. There's no way to articulate the huge change he made in the future of the Wings and the city of Detroit. WTG, Mr. Ilitch!

Let's just hope there are any games played after the playoffs in 2012. Would only seem fitting for a lockout to occur and mess up our party.

I'd just like to take a second to thank Mike Ilitch. He doesn't take over the Wings, chances are we wouldn't be here right now. There's no way to articulate the huge change he made in the future of the Wings and the city of Detroit. WTG, Mr. Ilitch!

I'd say hes done more for the city of detroit than any politition, mayor, etc. or anyone for that matter. He truly believes in this city.

We'll see what we can do on this side of the border to turn this thing into a Leafs home game. :P

Going to be a lot of fun.

Ram likes this