#1 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thoughts? I actually agree with it 100%

Blog

TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#2 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

I think it's asking for a complete disaster. What happens if the game needs to be pushed back a few hours because of weather like it has in past years. All of a sudden you are competing directly with the Super Bowl. The aricle elludes to the need to push back the timing in the past and one of the suggestions was just to play new year's night.....why did they simply forget all about that when they got to the "obvious" choice?

#3 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

What happens if the game needs to be pushed back a few hours because of weather like it has in past years. All of a sudden you are competing directly with the Super Bowl.

Which is exactly why I posted the topic...very very good point.

I change my vote lol...

#4 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

My liver wouldn't take it.

The fact that it might have to be pushed back is reason enough not to.

Also... I don't know... it just seems like we're kind of trying to legitimize ourselves by tacking on to a bigger sport. Not keen on it.

#5 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

I don't think it's a good idea either. People are normally setting up for parties, cooking, doing s*** they are not going to be able to do the rest of the day. Super Bowl Sunday is not just a game-time event, it's an all-day event. Add in what was said above and I think there is much more motivation NOT to do it on SBS.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#6 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

s*** if the Winter Classic has trouble with all the coverage that happens before and during the college bowl games what makes anyone think it could compete with the Super Bowl? Terrible terrible idea.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#7 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

Terrible idea. Not only do you have to deal with the possibility of having to push the game later due to weather, what happens if/when local fans have a conflict of interest?

For instance, what happens if New York hosts the Winter Classic at Yankee Stadium, and the Giants make the Super Bowl the same year? Or the Bruins/Patriots? Or the Penguins/Steelers? Local fans won't be happy if they have to choose to watch a regular season hockey game (albeit a very special regular season game), or a championship football game.

There's just too many things that could go horribly wrong for the NHL to justify moving the Classic to Super Bowl Sunday.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#8 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

I enjoy having it on new years day. At this point I think the winter classic is well established as an independant tradition, and changing the date for me at least would detract from the some of that.

#9 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

I agree, keep it on New Years. On a another note, I could give a rats ass about the Super Bowl :hehe:

#10 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

No offense, but that's a dumb, dumb idea. No one is going to choose the Winter Classic over the Super Bowl. Hell, I dislike football, but I watch the Super Bowl every year, because I get free pizza and unlimited Diet Coke at my friend's party. It'll be even worse if you have two teams from the same area playing in each game. As it is, with the Giants in the Super Bowl, if a Rangers game was played the same night, how many people would watch? Probably not many. That's just a regular old hockey game too, not if the Rangers were in the Winter Classic.

Keep the two events on different days.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#11 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Will not happen. What is kind of interesting is this.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#12 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

Will not happen. What is kind of interesting is this.

Yep. I don't know why they plan any events for Sunday....especially with something like a 5-6pm kickoff. Don't people have jobs?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#13 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

The article states they want the game to have its own entity and tradition, yet they want to move it in the shadow of the Super Bowl as a way to "pass the time" before the main event??

I like the fact that it's on Jan 1. In fact, it's grown to be something to look forward to when you wake up in the new year. That's tradition.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#14 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

I like the idea be a great thing to watch before the game I think the ratings would be better. Since they already ruined the new years day tradition I dont see why not.

#15 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:20 AM

SuperBowl Sunday is laughable, but why not Winter Classic Saturday? The day before? Entire weekend of solid, high profile sport?

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#16 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

SuperBowl Sunday is laughable, but why not Winter Classic Saturday? The day before? Entire weekend of solid, high profile sport?

:siren: We have a winner :siren:

Of course, since I don't give a vermin's hindquarters about college football, I'm fine with New Year's Day, but for the educated amongst us, I can see them having trouble deciding between the Classic and their Alma Mater.

Edited by 55fan, 27 January 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#17 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Even putting it on the Saturday before the SUperBowl is a bad idea. That whole weekend the sports scene is dominated by the SuperBowl. There would be no hype, no discussion about the Winter Classic at all. What's wrong with it where it is? New Years Day is a more logical spot, and gives it a sense of tradition, too.

If it has to be moved, better move it to a holiday weekend in January, something totally random but a time when people might have a longer weekend. Put a ton of money into marketing it on main channels hyping it up, and maybe in a few years that weekend will be a big Winter Classic traditional weekend.

Edited by VM1138, 27 January 2012 - 12:41 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#18 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

If you move the Winter Classic off of New Years Day, here's what you do....

1. Move it to the weekend after the NFL Conference Championship games & before the Super Bowl
2. Get rid of the All-Star Game
3. Still select All-Stars who compete in the skills competition Saturday night after an alumni game
4. Hold the WC that Sunday where the only competition will be the NBA & college B-Ball

#19 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

If it has to be moved, better move it to a holiday weekend in January, something totally random but a time when people might have a longer weekend.

MLK Day weekend!!! Raise the moooofoooo'ing roof on that one... :beerbuddy:

Edited by HankthaTank, 27 January 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#20 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,907 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

If you move the Winter Classic off of New Years Day, here's what you do....

1. Move it to the weekend after the NFL Conference Championship games & before the Super Bowl
2. Get rid of the All-Star Game
3. Still select All-Stars who compete in the skills competition Saturday night after an alumni game
4. Hold the WC that Sunday where the only competition will be the NBA & college B-Ball

The only problem is that the NFL has it's ProBowl on NBC this Sunday night. Again, if the WC gets delayed, we have issues with running into the ProBowl, which starts at 7:00 Eastern, IIRC.

I can't believe the idiocy of having both All-Star/Pro events the same day.