• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 aMonster

aMonster

Rookie

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

I'm curious for opinions on how much value should be placed on chasing the presidents trophy for the top three/four teams? Both from a personal perspective (point of pride, bragging rights etc..) and from a team perspective for real advantage right down to the SCF?

Obviously home ice advantage is nothing to sneeze at but you can have that for most of yer series just by finishing high in your conference but, if yer team is in the running for the Presidents Trophy and they have only five games left in the regular season, do you want/expect them to push hard for it or rest up instead for the start of the playoffs?

#2 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

It's always neat to know your team did the best in the regular season but in the long run it doesn't matter (27% of the teams winning the PT also win the Cup). It may be more important to a team that is great at home and iffy on the road (Wings) but it's definitely not as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

Look at the 05-06 Wings.
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#3 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 795 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

I think in the grand scheme of things, especially in the current NHL, it means absolutely nothing to me. They don't raise the President's Trophy over their heads.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#4 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Home ice is the only thing that matters.

Nobody's gonna be bragging about a Presidents' Trophy. Well, maybe 'nucks fans since they're that desperate. ;)

#5 aMonster

aMonster

Rookie

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

I think one also has to consider that by the time a team makes it all the way to final, any small advantage becomes psychologically huge.. but that can go either way depending on how your run has gone. Obviously didn't do the Canucks any good last year but I cant believe very many teams wouldn't absolutely want Home Ice if they actually make it to the final?

#6 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,225 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

It's always neat to know your team did the best in the regular season but in the long run it doesn't matter (27% of the teams winning the PT also win the Cup). It may be more important to a team that is great at home and iffy on the road (Wings) but it's definitely not as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

Look at the 05-06 Wings.

Actually a 1 in 4 chance is pretty significant considering 16 teams make it into the postseason

Edited by Echolalia, 29 February 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:13 PM

Depends on who the President is at the time. :hehe:

Honestly, it doesn't matter.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

Actually a 1 in 4 chance is pretty significant considering 16 teams make it into the postseason

Well yeah, but it shows that the PT doesn't give you as much of an advantage as some would think
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#9 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,094 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

As far as the top teams go, to be sucessful I thinkt Detroit and New York need it the most. The Canucks have been great on the road this season, and the Bruins have shown they can get the job done on the road in the playoffs before.

#NOMOREKINDL

#10 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,048 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

If Crosby ever returns from brain surgery, he'll piss on that President's trophy like he did last time.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#11 WingZNut13

WingZNut13

2nd Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

I'm with Detroit #1 fan. I think this year, it means a lot to the Red WIngs. They seem to play a different style of hockey in from of the crowd at the Joe. It seems like the city of Detroit has almost rallied around the Red Wings like New Orleans did with the Saints. I think the President's trophy is a big deal. It says you were the best in the regular season and you get rewarded for that. Teams like Boston and Pittsburgh, and the Canucks have shown they can win outside of their arenas. Detroit on the other had is .500 ( as of 3/1/12) on the road and have a killer home record.

It would be hard to argue against the President's cup meaning a lot to Detroit this year but in past years and most years, it's just a trophy without a trophy.
What kind of color is red? Red is a warning. A declaration. A color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and Driven because red doesn't like second place. So what Kind of color is red? Our kind" - The Red Wing Army

#12 sandyeggo wingnut

sandyeggo wingnut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

They seem to play a different style of hockey in from of the crowd at the Joe. It seems like the city of Detroit has almost rallied around the Red Wings like New Orleans did with the Saints. .

This. I've was at games 3 and 5 last year vs San Jose and #21 vs the stars. Insane atmospheres (i swear i lost some of my hearing At that game 5) I'm a transplant to Detroit (but have been a fan since about 1990) and one thing I love is that the players here absolutely love the fans. The salute to us at the end of the game vs the stars I will never forget. Detroit is a blue collar sports town I would say unrivaled anywhere because the players also realize that and what this city is going through. When a fan base and team both appreciate each other (see also tigers and lions last year) it makes for great memories for both sides. I truely hope the players (some of whom make more in a short career than we all will make in one lifetime combined) realize that...

That said, I'll quote someone I absolutely hated (because I am a Charger fan through and through). "just win, baby"

#13 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

with the wings home record it should be pretty important to them
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#14 Taylorov

Taylorov

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

It's almost considered a jinx.

Stanley Cup is the only one that matters.

#15 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

I echo the sentiment of the "Cup's what matters" crowd. However, any year your team wins the President's Trophy is a year your team did a whole lot of winning and probably made you pretty happy (or not happy at all, as they case sometimes is around these parts :P), so it has some small amount of value in my opinion.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#16 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Depends on who the President is at the time. :hehe:

Then Tim Thomas refuses to acknowledge that the trophy even exists.

#17 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

Then Tim Thomas refuses to acknowledge that the trophy even exists.

Haha nice.

To me it means very little. Sure, keep stocking the trophy case, that's always nice to brag about down the road. Year by year though, it means nothing and the home ice in the playoffs is what I would be happy about.

Edited by 8 Legged RedWing, 01 March 2012 - 02:35 AM.

#18 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

Home ice is all it means really. Its cool to brag and say best overall team in the NHL otherwise eh its whatev's.

Posted Image

#19 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

President not that important. What I think is pretty important is winning the Central. If you don't win Central, you'll most likely have to face #5, right now it is the reloaded Nashville Predators who wants it all.

#20 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:40 AM

Important if you are great at home and suck on the road.

Current LGW Whippin' Boy: Referees

HTBanner400x100.jpg