• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

Seriously, did anyone think this was possible a few months ago? What a story they've become.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#2 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

I remember them fighting for their playoff lives and still losing a game in regulation to us. Who knew?

Hopefully we can congratulate the NYR soon. Just because I selfishly don't want Parise to make the Finals with the Devils. :hehe:

#3 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,700 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

I have a soft spot for the Kings.

Glad to see them doing well.

Very glad they didn't go through us to get there. That makes it tough.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#4 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Buddy at work picked them to win the cup in the pre season..gonna win 3 cases of beer. Wtf? Lol

#5 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

They beat the #1, #2, & #3 in the west. That's a pretty awesome accomplishment. Good luck to them in the finals.

Eff Chicago

#6 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

I want them to win because:

1. I don't like the way the Rangers have been playing and giving the "Who? Me?" faces on the ice and after the game.

2. NJ winning the Cup would probably place their names in with the Wings as the "Best team in the past 20 years" as they would have 4 Cups in that amount of time and we all know that they have been mediocre at best a few of those seasons.

3. Parise won't leave if they win.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy. (Jordin Tootoo, wish granted)

#7 InKennyWeTrust

InKennyWeTrust

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

They are incredibly balanced. I can't believe how much more fun they are to watch now as compared to 3 months ago.

Also of note, if the Eastern conference team wins, whether it be the Devils or Rangers, the Wings would be the team that lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the team who won the cup. What does this mean? Nothing, aside from me being able to write a terribly convoluted sentence.

#8 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Man did this team get it together at the right time. Thank you Darryl Sutter!

I thought a guy like Doughty would need a veteran defensive partner like he had in O'Donnell to really settle him down and help with his maturity, but it should've occurred to me that a head coach can do that too. :P

No matter what happens from here on out this is already an awesome postseason for the Kings. But they've been so good and it's so hard to get this close, here's hoping they win it all.

#9 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

My whole hockey world is upside down. What is it about these teams that back into the playoffs going deep every year? If history holds, they'll lose to the Rangers (assuming the Rangers make the finals), but with how crazy things have been all year, I just don't know. LA could very well win the Cup.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#10 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

If at the start of the playoffs and someone had told me the Kings are going to be in the stanley cup finals I would of instantly bet them $1000, well let's just say I'm sure glad I didn't make that bet.

Congrats to the Kings they deserve to be in the finals, there team is deep and well balanced :clap:
IPB Image

#11 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

Been rooting for them since the Wings lost
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#12 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Kind of funny that there could be a coaching rematch of the '04 Finals, albeit with different teams.

#13 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

If it ends up being the Rangers in the east, the Quick/Lundqvist match-up has the chance of being epic.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal

#14 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

We've seen several 8 seeds in the Finals since the lockout. They could have the best chance to win it, though.

If it ends up being the Rangers in the east, the Quick/Lundqvist match-up has the chance of being epic.

Broadway vs. Hollywood.

Letterman vs. Leno.

It would be epic indeed!
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#15 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

No 6, 7, or 8 seeded team has ever won the Stanley Cup. If the Devils make the finals, that streak will be over.

Seriously, I love the way the Kings are playing. They haven't lost a game on the road. They have put together a strong gameplan, had no injury issues, and get the bounces they need to win games. That is all you need when the playoffs come around.

I am also hoping for a Rangers/Kings SCF series. It has the potential to be one of the most watched series in a long time.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#16 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

They are incredibly balanced. I can't believe how much more fun they are to watch now as compared to 3 months ago.

Also of note, if the Eastern conference team wins, whether it be the Devils or Rangers, the Wings would be the team that lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the team who won the cup. What does this mean? Nothing, aside from me being able to write a terribly convoluted sentence.

Shanahan looks like he's trying to trudge his way through that bad boy.

Really happy for the Kings, probably the only team I would be remotely interested in seeing come out of the West after the Wings' elimination. Not particularly interested in the brand of hockey the Rangers are playing at this point, but I'd still really like to see a NY vs. LA Finals for the sake of the sport.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#17 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

They beat the #1, #2, & #3 in the west. That's a pretty awesome accomplishment. Good luck to them in the finals.

If the Rangers get there as well... they could win a perfect cup (sort of). #1, #2, #3, and #1... technically speaking the 4 toughest teams you could draw.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#18 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

If the Rangers get there as well... they could win a perfect cup (sort of). #1, #2, #3, and #1... technically speaking the 4 toughest teams you could draw.

I'd argue the same thing even if the Devils make it. Seed number should have little bearing.

Anyways, just a matter if the Kings have enough gas in the tank.. if they do it could be a Quick Cup Finals victory.. pun intended.

Personally I think anyone that can beat the Canucks, who were one win away from a Cup last season, then the most excessively hyped team coming into the playoffs (Blues), then Gary Doucheman's cinderella team (Coyotes), deserves their place in the finals.

#19 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:50 PM

You gotta think the NHL is pulling for a Kings-Rangers Finals. Los Angeles vs. New York would be a ratings wet dream.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#20 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

If they win the cup, they'd start off next year very slow and probably remain a bottom seeded team ala Chicago last year.

If they lose the cup final, they'll be a force in the regular season next year.

bringit.jpg