64 replies to this topic

#1 SoupSnake

SoupSnake

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

UPDATE:
Apparently there will be NO public sale of tickets for this game. No tickets to the public expected...corporate sponsors get first dibs then going to season ticket holders of the Red Wings, GR Griffins, Plymouth Whalers (plus Leafs, Marlies, and Sting) second as a way to boost their season ticket sales. Each of those can purchase up to 4 tickets.

Plus, you'll have to buy a GLI ticket for every Classic ticket.

Alumni game information not published yet.

source:http://www.kuklaskor...tmr/comments...

"According to an email Josh Howard received from the Grand Rapids Griffins, there will be no public sale of Winter Classic tickets:

As we enter our beautiful summer months, we are looking forward to our 17th Season this year. We have some exciting events coming up this year including the Winter Classic Game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs. There will be no public sale for this event and the Griffins are one of the only places you can purchase tickets to this historic event. Tickets will be made available to many of our ticket plan holders"

$89 for the cheapest ticket. Wow, there goes my hopes of getting a cheap seat. Do you think that it will be selling out at these prices? Like really selling out, not "sold out" with 1000's of tickets going for $15 on the street before the game.

Posted Image

http://www.mlive.com...t_prices_r.html

Still no announcemnent on when they will actually go on sale. Details from MLive are below.

A graphic posted on DetroitRedWings.com indicates that ticket prices for the 2013 NHL Winter Classic between the Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor will be priced between $89 and $279.

The majority of the seats appear as if they'll cost either $129 or $149. There are seven price levels, according to the graphic: $89, $129, $149, $189, $219, $249 and $279. The $89 seats appear to be near the bottom of the stands while the $279 seats are on the club level. Tickets for the events at Comerica Park will cost $18, $28 and $38, according to the graphic. There was no indication as to when tickets will go on sale or how many tickets will be available for purchase by the general public. DetroitRedWings.com also saysthat anyone purchasing a full season-ticket package or 20-game package will have an "opportunity to purchase tickets to ... the 2012 Hockeytown Winter Festival and the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic."

Edited by Matt, 28 June 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#2 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

It will absolutely sell out, and I'd bet it would even if the cheapest ticket was $200. I don't think it's an exaggeration to estimate there are probably million people who are seriously considering trying to get tickets for this.

I'm actually pretty pleased with these prices since I was expecting double that or more.

#3 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,060 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Absolutely. I had planned on 150 per ticket, but it looks like the 190 is where I'd like to be. I have no issue with that whatsoever. Hey, if the car payment is late, who cares? It's the Winter Classic with Detroit and Toronto.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#4 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

I think Leaf fans could damn near sell the place out alone, honestly.

They won't, but that fanbase is crazy enough that 110,000 Leaf fans probably wouldn't hesitate to cross the boarder for this game.

Edited by Trapt1307, 09 June 2012 - 12:48 PM.

"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#5 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

I'm happy with those ticket prices. I was expecting 2-3 times that price. Now if only I can be lucky enough to get my hands on a pair.

#6 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

I was expecting steeper prices too; regardless the cost still sucks. I hope I can land a few. Being part of such a rare and special even at the big house would be awesome! :)

Posted Image

#7 SoupSnake

SoupSnake

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

I updated the OP with this as well but apparently there will be no tickets available to the general public.

UPDATE: Apparently there will be NO public sale of tickets for this game.

No tickets to the public expected...corporate sponsors get first dibs then going to season ticket holders of the Red Wings, GR Griffins, Plymouth Whalers (plus Leafs, Marlies, and Sting) second as a way to boost their season ticket sales. Each of those can purchase up to 4 tickets.

Plus, you'll have to buy a GLI ticket for every Classic ticket.

Alumni game information not published yet.

source:http://www.kuklaskor...tmr/comments...

"According to an email Josh Howard received from the Grand Rapids Griffins, there will be no public sale of Winter Classic tickets:

As we enter our beautiful summer months, we are looking forward to our 17th Season this year. We have some exciting events coming up this year including the Winter Classic Game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Toronto Maple Leafs. There will be no public sale for this event and the Griffins are one of the only places you can purchase tickets to this historic event. Tickets will be made available to many of our ticket plan holders"

#8 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

thats terrible. now all the STH's of the various teams will just buy tickets to re-sell them. and instead of the ticket revenue actually going to the teams involved it goes to a bunch of scalpers. for a game like this, whoever purchases the tickets should be required to use them.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#9 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

No public sale, huh? Well, crap. At least the face value is somewhat reasonable, so the price will only be semi through the roof by the time I get a hold of one.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#10 juiceman

juiceman

Jr. Prospect

• 28 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

That response from the Griffins could just be the standard line that ticket reps are told to give out. They were probably told that as a way to try to get more sales of ticket plans. "If you want to go to the Winter Classic, you need to purchase season tickets."

We'll just have to wait & see though.

#11 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

That's a bummer. I'd love to fly out from PA for the Winter Classic but there is no way I'm going to buy season tix that I'll never be able to use. Guess I can change the Xmas vacation plans.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#12 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

$89 for the cheapest ticket. Wow, there goes my hopes of getting a cheap seat. Do you think that it will be selling out at these prices? Like really selling out, not "sold out" with 1000's of tickets going for $15 on the street before the game.

how cheap did you expect the winter classic tickets to be? 89 dollars for a winter classic ticket is a bargain compared to what prices have been going for in the previous winter classics.

for me personally, i don't care what tickets i get. i didn't plan on having a great view of the game anyways. i'm just going for the spectacle and to be part of history.

#13 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

No public sale of tickets?

Man I hope my Aunt's firm can manage to grab a set with their season ticket plan so I can buy it off them. Otherwise I'll be completely screwed and majorly pissed.

Posted Image

#14 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Hoping Leafs/Wings fans will be 50/50 in attendance. That would be epic.

bringit.jpg

#15 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

No public sale of tickets?

Man I hope my Aunt's firm can manage to grab a set with their season ticket plan so I can buy it off them. Otherwise I'll be completely screwed and majorly pissed.

yup. if you don't know someone who has season tickets, you're basically screwed

#16 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Asked family in the metro Detroit area to ask any friends/coworkers if they are season ticket holders and my wife and I will drive there to exchange the tickets for cash if possible, otherwise, likely not gonna get a ticket in time, and I'm certainly not going to get bent over by scalpers. I'd rather just watch from TV in the latter cases.

#17 SoupSnake

SoupSnake

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

how cheap did you expect the winter classic tickets to be? 89 dollars for a winter classic ticket is a bargain compared to what prices have been going for in the previous winter classics.

for me personally, i don't care what tickets i get. i didn't plan on having a great view of the game anyways. i'm just going for the spectacle and to be part of history.

As a cash strapped young married guy I guess I was hoping that tickets would be cheaper. Tickets started at about $15 for the Big Chill at the Big House, I guess I didn't realize how expensive previous Winter Classic tickets were. I've never been to one before.

#18 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

While I was expecting ticket prices to be in those ranges I think it's terrible that there will be no public ticket sales. So if we don't have a connection that is willing to sell us the tickets for face value we can all expect to pay double(?) from the greedy ones that do have access to them. Not a good way to sell the game. :nono:

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#19 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:43 PM

Isn't it funny that corporate sponsors get first dibs, even though they are the ones likely to not show up or send a bunch of people who don't care about the game? That's business, I guess.

Sucks that there are so many strings attached to the tickets, that might cause people to hesitate a bit, but the prices aren't as outrageous as I thought they'd be.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#20 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Yea it'll sell out. For Leafs fans, that's a bargain!

Hoping Leafs/Wings fans will be 50/50 in attendance. That would be epic.

The sad thing is, if the Leafs win, their fans would act like they won the Stanley Cup. I was at an exhibition game once, Leafs/Wings, and Leaf fans were honking their horns after they beat the Wings. It was September!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons