• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

Pretend you are Ken Holland, and pretend you actually want to go with a youth movement in, say 2 years when the rest of our old guys are gone. This is the way our core likely looks:

Fwds:
Zetterberg (33)
Datsyuk (35)
Filppula (30)
Helm (27)
Nyquist (24)
Franzen (35)

Dmen:
Smith (25)
Kronwall (33)
Ericsson (30)

Goalies:
Howard (30)

Which of our prospects would you expect to be ready and which spots would you fill through other means?

I think in 2 years we will see for sure:

Jarnkrok, Sheahan, Tatar, Pulkkinen out of our forwards

I don't see any dmen ready for another 1-2 years beyond this (unless Sproul or Ouellet are studs). Lashoff might get a look but I don't see him as anything more than a 6/7. Almqvist is a hit or miss it seems. So I think we would have to address our D via FA or trade.

How do you guys see the future? Am I being realistic? Just want to forget our current troubles and look to a greener future...

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#2 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:02 PM

What you said plus Jurco and lashoff

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#3 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

they have to start integrating forwards as of this season we cant just put 2-5 rookies in the lineup in 2-3 yrs

the only ones i see in the lineup this year and next after are nyquist,smith,tatara and joakim andersson because of his frame , maybe if need be sheahan as well though not this season , the redwings like to leave the players develop

i do wish they could of convinced **** axelsson to have played in the ahl i think hes a good prospect that got away its too bad he wasnt so dedicated

#4 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

Bertuzzi, samuelsson, and holmstrom. Stop fooling yourself. Our gm is a dumbass.

#5 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I think you'd feel a whole lot better if you got the sand out of your mangina.

Fact is wings have a ton of young talent in the system.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

lol i don't have sand in my... your point is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not trying to complain I simply am trying to look at timelines to see whats coming up. sorry if you thought it was a complaint.

#7 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Holland offered Suter a nice contract he didn't take it get over it people. Most lgw'ers have been lucky enough to see the Wings win 4 cups, if this has to be a transition year to let guys get a feel for the NHL don't get pissy because fans of this team have been spoiled. Whatever happens from here on out im happy to get to see Smith develop and play a bigger role. Maybe get Semin to play with Datsyuk and possibly one of Colaiacovo, Kubina or Barker.

GO WINGS!

#8 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:07 AM

can we keep the discussion on track? discuss prospect development and who you think will make it?

#9 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

The thing that concerns me is the lack of D prospects that are anywhere near ready... If the DeKeyser rumors are true (NHL ready, already picked the Wings as his destination) that makes me feel a little better, but Lashoff needs to take a big step in his development this year and we need Sproul, Nicastro, Oulette and even Backman to take big steps in their development... As for forwards, I feel we're in fantastic shape (Pulk, Jarnkok, Shehan, etc, etc, etc) and as far as goalie, we got a STUD in our system as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mrazek was pushing Jimmy for the starting gig in 2 years, and although this may sound crazy and even a little reckless, I wouldn't have had a problem with him getting a shot in camp this year to take the backup job from Joey, obviously the signing of Gus changed that, but I genuinely believe Mrazek will be GR's starter sooner, rather than later, and force the Wings hand to bring him up at some point, plus, if Gus does well, we could have a HELL of a good problem to have and some great trade assets in a goalie starved league...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#10 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

Was t directed at you Dangles. Wings have done good young talent. I'm really hoping the Sheahan turns into something special. Good size by all accounts a pretty good shot.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

Our prospects never get to play, so who cares about "the system"? Tatar, Nyquist, etc. They all sit or play 4th line minutes while Bertuzzi and Holmstrom suck up the good ice time. I would love to see the youngsters, but aint gonna happen.

#12 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

How old is Brunner? I say if you're going to be splitting time with Mursak and Tatar then take rotations on the third line with Brunner. Our 4th line is solid if they pick up a big centre we have a very effective 4th line but these prospects need to be working offensively and playing with Helm would be win win for Helm and our prospects. Nyquist plays in the top 6 an if he gets outplayed by Tatar, Mursak or Brunner than make the switch but no young guys on the 4th line. We want them to learnto score

#13 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

How old is Brunner? I say if you're going to be splitting time with Mursak and Tatar then take rotations on the third line with Brunner. Our 4th line is solid if they pick up a big centre we have a very effective 4th line but these prospects need to be working offensively and playing with Helm would be win win for Helm and our prospects. Nyquist plays in the top 6 an if he gets outplayed by Tatar, Mursak or Brunner than make the switch but no young guys on the 4th line. We want them to learnto score

If they are on the 4th, we need a line like the 'Two Kids and a Goat' line with Hull. Did alright for Dats and Z :) Then again we don't have anyone like Brett Hull to be on that line with them :(

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#14 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

The thing that concerns me is the lack of D prospects that are anywhere near ready... If the DeKeyser rumors are true (NHL ready, already picked the Wings as his destination) that makes me feel a little better, but Lashoff needs to take a big step in his development this year and we need Sproul, Nicastro, Oulette and even Backman to take big steps in their development... As for forwards, I feel we're in fantastic shape (Pulk, Jarnkok, Shehan, etc, etc, etc) and as far as goalie, we got a STUD in our system as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mrazek was pushing Jimmy for the starting gig in 2 years, and although this may sound crazy and even a little reckless, I wouldn't have had a problem with him getting a shot in camp this year to take the backup job from Joey, obviously the signing of Gus changed that, but I genuinely believe Mrazek will be GR's starter sooner, rather than later, and force the Wings hand to bring him up at some point, plus, if Gus does well, we could have a HELL of a good problem to have and some great trade assets in a goalie starved league...

I agree I think Mrazek could be pushing Jimmy, really excited by this guy. Fingers crossed DeKeyser joins us next year. Also fan of Pullkinnen, hoping the holy slapped makes it to hockeytown. With all this said two years may be too soon for each of these guys.

#15 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

If all of these "prospects" were so good, they'd be with the team. You dont hold talent thats nhl ready back. You hold talent that is not nhl ready back. Unfortunately, if your not nhl ready by 21 or 22, odds are your "talent" isnt nhl caliber talent.

#16 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:30 AM

I think Tatar is ready. I don't mean that he's going to be great, but I think Holland should take the risk and not go "over-ripe" on a prospect. Bring him up, give him minutes and see what he can do.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#17 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

Well - that remains to be seen if it translates to the NHL level.

If all of these "prospects" were so good, they'd be with the team. You dont hold talent thats nhl ready back. You hold talent that is not nhl ready back. Unfortunately, if your not nhl ready by 21 or 22, odds are your "talent" isnt nhl caliber talent.

Agreed.

Seems many here don't see it this way.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#18 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:39 AM

Bertuzzi, samuelsson, and holmstrom. Stop fooling yourself. Our gm is a dumbass.

How quickly we forget Ken Holland made us the most successful organization in the last 20 years
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#19 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

redwings always let there prospects in the minors to develop alot longer than other teams just because we dont have the next neil yakupov that comes up at 18 yrs old doesnt mean we wont find someone in there in a few yrs that will be very good

as an example ... zetterberg was 22 when he came here and jarnkrok is 20 , not saying he will be zetterberg but hes got alot of talent , people have to calm down if this was 2002 people would be saying the same thing about zetterberg and then later regret trading him and calling out the gm

datsyuk was a rookie at 23 , kronwall 22, franzen 25,holmstrom 22

again ... CALM DOWN

one player who i think might be ready for some ice time later in the season and can help us is joakim andersson he's 23 and should be ready to help out and has good size we can use at 6'2 200+ and his goal production tripled last year in the ahl i think he might be able to be a 10-15 goal scorer

im not gonna expect it but i hope one day he shows a little scoring touch out of nowhere like franzen did

#20 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,685 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

redwings always let there prospects in the minors to develop alot longer than other teams just because we dont have the next neil yakupov that comes up at 18 yrs old doesnt mean we wont find someone in there in a few yrs that will be very good

as an example ... zetterberg was 22 when he came here and jarnkrok is 20 , not saying he will be zetterberg but hes got alot of talent , people have to calm down if this was 2002 people would be saying the same thing about zetterberg and then later regret trading him and calling out the gm

datsyuk was a rookie at 23 , kronwall 22, franzen 25,holmstrom 22

again ... CALM DOWN

one player who i think might be ready for some ice time later in the season and can help us is joakim andersson he's 23 and should be ready to help out and has good size we can use at 6'2 200+ and his goal production tripled last year in the ahl i think he might be able to be a 10-15 goal scorer

im not gonna expect it but i hope one day he shows a little scoring touch out of nowhere like franzen did

Well - Zetterberg was on the Swedish Olympic team in 2002, and he was the only member of that squad not playing in the NHL.

He also was considered the best young player in the world that wasn't in the NHL...Even Mats Sundin, and Peter Forsberg claimed Hank would become a star player for the Red Wings.

So far I haven't seen/heard as much from our current crop of prospects.

'Evolution' created by Offsides