• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
amato

Datsyuk leaving after contract is up?

Rate this topic

Sorry if this was talked about elsewhere (please delete if it was) but I just found this interesting....

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: Red Wings Valtteri Filppula (28) had a breakthrough season last year. He had 66 points and was integral on both the power play and penalty kill. His age and talent make him a “prime-rate trade asset.” The Wings would have to consider that Pavel Datsyuk, who is 34, has only 2 years left on his deal and they don’t know if he’ll stay or head back to Russia. Filppula will cash in on his next contract, he’s in the last year of a 5 year, $15 million deal.

Obviously, we all know filpula is big trade bait/up for a decent raise. Personally I hope we keep him, he's a great asset to this team.. But the part I found interesting was the idea that Datsyuk, with only two years left on his contract at age 34, would leave for Russia after those two years are up. I for one completely disagree with that notion and am pretty surprised st james would even mention it as a possibility. I see Datsyuk playing here til he's around 40....

Thoughts?

I thought he has always wantwd to end his career playing in Russia??

Really? I never knew that.. I could see him playing for a year there once he's done here I guess but not so much at 36. I feel like he could continue to dominate in the NHL for years to come.. 36 just sounds too young for a guy of his caliber to leave the NHL. just my opinion though..

Edit: Forgot to click quote ha

Edited by amato

Guest irishock

He'll finish his career in Russia but that doesn't mean he's going to leave the league in 2 years. A major factor would be if Ken Holland can get players on the team that will push the Wings to the president's trophy consideration again. I could see him re-signing 1 year deals and chase his 3rd cup before going back to Russia to finish his career.

Guest The Axe

He'll finish his career in Russia but that doesn't mean he's going to leave the league in 2 years. A major factor would be if Ken Holland can get players on the team that will push the Wings to the president's trophy consideration again. I could see him re-signing 1 year deals and chase his 3rd cup before going back to Russia to finish his career.

Samuelsson and Tootoo already signed. Done deal.

I have always worried that when this contract is up he's 36 years old. This as well as having said he wants to play in Russia in previous years is not the best sign to me on him returning and not to mention more recently he has said really wants to spend a lot more time at his hockey school in Russia to give the kids over there in juniors more of a shot then their current situations allow.

Pavs a true star and if he packs it up all the power to him, he will be missed by us but the wonders he could do for the kids in Russia would be awesome.

If that's what he wants then more power to him. I love Datsyuk! It does not matter where he plays. I will still be a fan of his.

It sure as hell matters to me. Obviously, he needs to make the decision that works best for him and his family, but I'm not about to go as far as saying it does not matter where he plays, because it does.

Obviously, 99.9% of us will be fans of his regardless of when he takes off for Russia....but that doesn't mean I wan't see it in 2-years' time.

Guest irishock

Samuelsson and Tootoo already signed. Done deal.

The 'ck you talking about? "Done deal?", those two along with another Todd Bertuzzi extension will put us in the hunt for a threepeat. "President's trophy consideration"?

It is all speculation but at 36 Datsyuk will be getting old and probabably declining so I guess it wouldent be that odd. Id like to see Datsyuk until at least 38 though he is my favorite player. Id like to keep Filpula but if someone is going to give him more than hes worth let him go.

I think people may read too much into the article. I see it simply as saying that he'll be 36 at the end of his current contract and we are not sure whether he'll stay or not. Since he'll be 36, there is a real chance he'll choose to leave, there aren't a ton of guys that stick around to 40 and it would be unrealistic to think he will. Not saying he won't, but he'd be one of the rare players in history that do, if he does. I think very few people realize how rare it actually is to have players stick around to 40 in the NHL.

I think people may read too much into the article. I see it simply as saying that he'll be 36 at the end of his current contract and we are not sure whether he'll stay or not. Since he'll be 36, there is a real chance he'll choose to leave, there aren't a ton of guys that stick around to 40 and it would be unrealistic to think he will. Not saying he won't, but he'd be one of the rare players in history that do, if he does. I think very few people realize how rare it actually is to have players stick around to 40 in the NHL.

He may need more than two years to be first ballot HOF worthy. Hopefully he has the motivation.

i remember reading an article on datsyuk a few years back where said he didn't want to be playing hockey when he was 40 and that he wanted to return to russia before he retired from hockey. i will have to dig it up when i have some time

Datsyuk has said in Russian interviews that he would like to play in Russian again before retiring. In nearly the same breathe, I believe he said that the NHL is the better league and he wishes to continue playing here (can't find the interview they are sourcing at the moment, but I remember it). Could he head back to Russia after his current deal? Possibly. However, I think the odds will always be on him playing in the NHL until the years catch up and his ability to compete at the highest level wanes.

I could see him doing what several aged European superstars have done (Hasek), retire from the NHL, compete in the lesser European leagues, getting to play back home in front of your friends, family, and fans, scratch the competitive itch and mentor young you-types while pulling down a fair paycheck.

Datsyuk has said in Russian interviews that he would like to play in Russian again before retiring. In nearly the same breathe, I believe he said that the NHL is the better league and he wishes to continue playing here (can't find the interview they are sourcing at the moment, but I remember it). Could he head back to Russia after his current deal? Possibly. However, I think the odds will always be on him playing in the NHL until the years catch up and his ability to compete at the highest level wanes.

I could see him doing what several aged European superstars have done (Hasek), retire from the NHL, compete in the lesser European leagues, getting to play back home in front of your friends, family, and fans, scratch the competitive itch and mentor young you-types while pulling down a fair paycheck.

i think a lot of it will also depend on the state of the team in 2 years. if the wings are in full rebuilding mode, i think the chances of him leaving increase considerably.

are you sure this is from the Freep? Please tell me this came from HockeyyInsiderrp instead. Then I will feel better.

Unfortunately it's not the insiderr.. It's freep.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120821/SPORTS05/308210093/Valtteri-Filppula-s-versatility-has-Red-Wings-wondering-Keep-him-or-trade-him-

Last part of that article.

And after thinkin about it, I could see him waiting until the years catch up with him then going to Russia for sure. But I just don't think they'll catch up to him in a matter of 2 years. It'll probly be more like 4 or 5 IMO.

I've always thought Pavel could turn into Larionov in his 40's and get 5-10 goals and about 40-50 assists. Sure he wouldn't be the 90 point superstar of today but he would still be a hell of an asset.

I for one look forward to another 3-4 years of 'superstar Pavel' followed by another 6-7 years of 'Larionov Pavel' :D

Guest The Axe

The 'ck you talking about? "Done deal?", those two along with another Todd Bertuzzi extension will put us in the hunt for a threepeat. "President's trophy consideration"?

Hello? Once Homer signs again, cups galore.

Unfortunately it's not the insiderr.. It's freep.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120821/SPORTS05/308210093/Valtteri-Filppula-s-versatility-has-Red-Wings-wondering-Keep-him-or-trade-him-

Last part of that article.

And after thinkin about it, I could see him waiting until the years catch up with him then going to Russia for sure. But I just don't think they'll catch up to him in a matter of 2 years. It'll probly be more like 4 or 5 IMO.

Agreed. Pavs has super physique like Lids. He could be a 42-45 year old retiree kind of guy. Hope so. He's the most exciting player in hockey.

Pavel is a very humble person. Saying that he won't like to play in his 40s might come from the fact that he is afraid that he may not be able to keep up with younger guys at that age. For him "keep up" means being top-20 in the league. I think he is one of those guys who may age very way and I hope we'll see at least 6 more seasons from him in the Red Wings uniform.

I remember his interview when he talks about his mothers death and everything, really sad interview and a great inside look at who pasha really is, anyways.. in that interview he stated that he doesn't want to play til he's 40 and he didn't want to finish his career in the NHL. That being said, he also says the normal I love this place and what not. I couldn't see him being moved to any other team or sporting another teams sweater, but i certainly could see him playing out his remaining "hockey years" in the motherland. Would I be upset? Absolutely, it would break my heart just like I cried like a little baby during Stevie Y's ceremony and Nicky's. Would I disown him? Absolutely not, nothing but respect.