• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

Sorry if this was talked about elsewhere (please delete if it was) but I just found this interesting....

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press: Red Wings Valtteri Filppula (28) had a breakthrough season last year. He had 66 points and was integral on both the power play and penalty kill. His age and talent make him a “prime-rate trade asset.” The Wings would have to consider that Pavel Datsyuk, who is 34, has only 2 years left on his deal and they don’t know if he’ll stay or head back to Russia. Filppula will cash in on his next contract, he’s in the last year of a 5 year, $15 million deal.

Obviously, we all know filpula is big trade bait/up for a decent raise. Personally I hope we keep him, he's a great asset to this team.. But the part I found interesting was the idea that Datsyuk, with only two years left on his contract at age 34, would leave for Russia after those two years are up. I for one completely disagree with that notion and am pretty surprised st james would even mention it as a possibility. I see Datsyuk playing here til he's around 40....

Thoughts?

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#2 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

I thought he has always wantwd to end his career playing in Russia??

Eff Chicago

#3 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

If that's what he wants then more power to him. I love Datsyuk! It does not matter where he plays. I will still be a fan of his.
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

#4 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

I thought he has always wantwd to end his career playing in Russia??

Really? I never knew that.. I could see him playing for a year there once he's done here I guess but not so much at 36. I feel like he could continue to dominate in the NHL for years to come.. 36 just sounds too young for a guy of his caliber to leave the NHL. just my opinion though..

Edit: Forgot to click quote ha

Edited by amato, 21 August 2012 - 08:06 AM.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#5 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

He'll finish his career in Russia but that doesn't mean he's going to leave the league in 2 years. A major factor would be if Ken Holland can get players on the team that will push the Wings to the president's trophy consideration again. I could see him re-signing 1 year deals and chase his 3rd cup before going back to Russia to finish his career.

bringit.jpg

#6 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

He'll finish his career in Russia but that doesn't mean he's going to leave the league in 2 years. A major factor would be if Ken Holland can get players on the team that will push the Wings to the president's trophy consideration again. I could see him re-signing 1 year deals and chase his 3rd cup before going back to Russia to finish his career.

Samuelsson and Tootoo already signed. Done deal.

#7 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

I have always worried that when this contract is up he's 36 years old. This as well as having said he wants to play in Russia in previous years is not the best sign to me on him returning and not to mention more recently he has said really wants to spend a lot more time at his hockey school in Russia to give the kids over there in juniors more of a shot then their current situations allow.

Pavs a true star and if he packs it up all the power to him, he will be missed by us but the wonders he could do for the kids in Russia would be awesome.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#8 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,698 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:42 AM

His daughter is in Russia. He might want to be closer to her.

I hope he stays, but I'll understand if he goes back home.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#9 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

I really want him to stay for another say 4 more years!
IPB Image

#10 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

If that's what he wants then more power to him. I love Datsyuk! It does not matter where he plays. I will still be a fan of his.

It sure as hell matters to me. Obviously, he needs to make the decision that works best for him and his family, but I'm not about to go as far as saying it does not matter where he plays, because it does.

Obviously, 99.9% of us will be fans of his regardless of when he takes off for Russia....but that doesn't mean I wan't see it in 2-years' time.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#11 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Samuelsson and Tootoo already signed. Done deal.

The 'ck you talking about? "Done deal?", those two along with another Todd Bertuzzi extension will put us in the hunt for a threepeat. "President's trophy consideration"?

bringit.jpg

#12 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

are you sure this is from the Freep? Please tell me this came from HockeyyInsiderrp instead. Then I will feel better.

Edited by kook_10, 21 August 2012 - 10:21 AM.

works every time

#13 Sycsa

Sycsa

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

We just lost Lidstrom, I won't be ready to lose Dats in 2 years.

#14 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

We just lost Lidstrom, I won't be ready to lose Dats in 2 years.

Yeah, this. :confused:

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#15 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

It is all speculation but at 36 Datsyuk will be getting old and probabably declining so I guess it wouldent be that odd. Id like to see Datsyuk until at least 38 though he is my favorite player. Id like to keep Filpula but if someone is going to give him more than hes worth let him go.

#16 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

I think people may read too much into the article. I see it simply as saying that he'll be 36 at the end of his current contract and we are not sure whether he'll stay or not. Since he'll be 36, there is a real chance he'll choose to leave, there aren't a ton of guys that stick around to 40 and it would be unrealistic to think he will. Not saying he won't, but he'd be one of the rare players in history that do, if he does. I think very few people realize how rare it actually is to have players stick around to 40 in the NHL.

#17 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

I think people may read too much into the article. I see it simply as saying that he'll be 36 at the end of his current contract and we are not sure whether he'll stay or not. Since he'll be 36, there is a real chance he'll choose to leave, there aren't a ton of guys that stick around to 40 and it would be unrealistic to think he will. Not saying he won't, but he'd be one of the rare players in history that do, if he does. I think very few people realize how rare it actually is to have players stick around to 40 in the NHL.

He may need more than two years to be first ballot HOF worthy. Hopefully he has the motivation.

works every time

#18 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

i remember reading an article on datsyuk a few years back where said he didn't want to be playing hockey when he was 40 and that he wanted to return to russia before he retired from hockey. i will have to dig it up when i have some time

#19 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

Datsyuk has said in Russian interviews that he would like to play in Russian again before retiring. In nearly the same breathe, I believe he said that the NHL is the better league and he wishes to continue playing here (can't find the interview they are sourcing at the moment, but I remember it). Could he head back to Russia after his current deal? Possibly. However, I think the odds will always be on him playing in the NHL until the years catch up and his ability to compete at the highest level wanes.

I could see him doing what several aged European superstars have done (Hasek), retire from the NHL, compete in the lesser European leagues, getting to play back home in front of your friends, family, and fans, scratch the competitive itch and mentor young you-types while pulling down a fair paycheck.

#20 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

Datsyuk has said in Russian interviews that he would like to play in Russian again before retiring. In nearly the same breathe, I believe he said that the NHL is the better league and he wishes to continue playing here (can't find the interview they are sourcing at the moment, but I remember it). Could he head back to Russia after his current deal? Possibly. However, I think the odds will always be on him playing in the NHL until the years catch up and his ability to compete at the highest level wanes.

I could see him doing what several aged European superstars have done (Hasek), retire from the NHL, compete in the lesser European leagues, getting to play back home in front of your friends, family, and fans, scratch the competitive itch and mentor young you-types while pulling down a fair paycheck.

i think a lot of it will also depend on the state of the team in 2 years. if the wings are in full rebuilding mode, i think the chances of him leaving increase considerably.