Photo
- - - - -

Who was the better Wing/Player? Yzerman or Lidstrom

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is the better player/wing?

Stevie or Nick?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Interested to know what people think

#2 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

I think you are asking two unique question here, with different answers.

Who was the better Wing? Yzerman
Who was the better player? Lidstrom

#3 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

I totally agree with this. On pure hockey ability and skill, Lidstrom comes out on top. But the best Wing? Yzerman showed up for this team in any manner that they needed him consistently and reliably for over twenty years. Lidstrom was a great leader, but Stevie was The Captain. Love them both, and am honored that I got to grow up watching them play for my team.

Posted Image

Posted Image

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#4 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

Stevie Y.

Edited by thegerkin, 16 October 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#5 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Better Wing Y
Better Player Perfect human you aren't getting that title without bringing it every night over two decades.

That said I am so spoiled and honored because these two defined the rise of the Wings and are were the type of Cs every GM and coach is dreaming off.

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#6 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Lotta love for Stevie, but Lidstrom by a mile.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#7 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Posted Image

#8 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

To me Stevie was great. He was a great player, a great leader and even a better person. BUT, Nick Lidstrom is slightly a step up in that he was never phased, was always on his A game whether he was 25, 30 or 42... the guy simply always had it. I have went to several Red Wings games in my short 21 year life, and I can honestly say that anytime number 5 came on the ice I felt safe, I felt like there was nothing the team had to worry about because he simply did everything perfectly and so effortlessly. More then that, he was literally ALWAYS there.

As you guys have said, we are spoiled to even be able to have this debate in the first place, but for me Lidstrom was the guy who I always idolized growing up and I met him 4 times and he was just such a nice guy. I cried when Stevie Y retired and I cried harder when Nick retired... it is like losing a family member. Lets just be thankful we have so many great memories of both of these greats.

#9 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,959 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

If we are just talking best Wing and not best player, I'd be curious to see if there is a generational difference with the older fans leaning toward Stevie and the younger fans leaning toward Lids. I was talking to my 11 year old cousin about Stevie and growing up watching him and my cousin just couldn't fathom that anyone could be a more important Wing than Lids.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#10 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:54 PM

Lids. Hands down. Seven Norris Trophies that should have been 10. Yzerman never won any best forward trophies other than a Selke.

#11 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

Yzerman had supreme skill, but lidstrom almost seemed immune to mistakes. He did everything right on and off the ice. Yzerman was a better captain, but I think lidstrom filled the void beautifully.

Lidstrom wins it.

Side note: any other team would die to have these 2 guys to pick from

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#12 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

Yzerman did have his twilight years. Lidstrom could've played to 45 and still be a top 5 defensemen. So I'd say Lidstrom due to consistency over a long period of time.

bringit.jpg

#13 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

Stevie Y...

Stevie Y...
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#14 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

This. Lidstrom is the second best defenceman of all time. Yzerman wasn't even the second best center of his era.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#15 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:13 AM

I've been staring at this poll thinking for a while now and I don't think I can choose between the two. can it be a draw?

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#16 luvmnger

luvmnger

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

i have to go with stevie....he was clutch, a motivator by heart, a hero to a town,an inspiration to a generation.

he taught perseverance.

lidstrom showed us what a true leader should be, a consummate professional, and a legend to the game.

he taught excellence.

its a hard call.

when its family...you shouldn't have to choose.
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#17 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

when its family...you shouldn't have to choose.

perfectly said.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#18 cupcrazy

cupcrazy

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 824 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

Lids. Hands down. Seven Norris Trophies that should have been 10. Yzerman never won any best forward trophies other than a Selke.

This had nothing to do with the fact Yzerman shared his prime with the two greatest forwards ever in Gretzky and Lemieux? He would have had the most points in 88 and 89 if not for the two greatest players of all time.

Lemieux had 199 points, Gretzky had 168, and Yzerman ONLY had a punie 155 points that season. Yzerman scored over a 100 points a season six years in a row. Had he not shared his prime with those two he would have had a lot more hardware.

This. Lidstrom is the second best defenceman of all time. Yzerman wasn't even the second best center of his era.

No he was the 3rd behind Gretzky and Lemieux

Edited by cupcrazy, 17 October 2012 - 04:03 AM.

Posted Image

#19 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

Yzerman for me.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#20 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

This had nothing to do with the fact Yzerman shared his prime with the two greatest forwards ever in Gretzky and Lemieux? He would have had the most points in 88 and 89 if not for the two greatest players of all time.

Lemieux had 199 points, Gretzky had 168, and Yzerman ONLY had a punie 155 points that season. Yzerman scored over a 100 points a season six years in a row. Had he not shared his prime with those two he would have had a lot more hardware.

Well being 3 behind these two is still an incredible large accomplishment if you ask me. In terms of overall awarness to he has been more complete than both all time greats.

And I'd rank the perfect human easily above Bourque

Sent from my BlackBerry

Edited by frankgrimes, 17 October 2012 - 09:16 AM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..