• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

NHL submits offer to NHLPA - **Suspension Warning Post #70 & #273*

Rate this topic

The comments I've seen on the proposal hint that the extra "round" would be a play in game or shortened play-in series (best of 3) for the bottom two qualifiers. The winner of the play-in then would take on the #1 seed.

Edit: So in essence, they're taking the new wild card format from Major League Baseball.

Best-of-three series? Not again? Might as well play "Rock, Paper, Scissors". Before you know it, shootouts will be introduced to the playoffs.

Guest irishock

Players in NYC for CBA meetings today: Adams, Boyes, Campoli, Darche, DiPietro, Doan, Ference, Hainsey, Mayers, Parros, St. Louis, Westgarth

Parros and Campoli will F it uip

Guest RedWingsDad
I agree. The best way to speak is with your wallet. The NHL makes a ton of money off gate receipts. Just don't go to games. That will be a pretty big blow to the NHL. The problem is that many people aren't dumping their season tickets over this. So the NHL and NHLPA have zero incentive to do anything for the fans.

I still cannot wrap my head around this mentality. I am a hockey fan... I find enjoyment in watching it. I have missed a lot of hockey this season... to what end would I deprive myself of even more enjoyment by boycotting the NHL? On the slim chance that it will have long term effects on the minds of the NHL and NHLPA so that perhaps, perhaps, in 8-10 years when the new CBA expires, they will act more quickly?

There is no tangible benefit of cancelling season tickets or boycotting the NHL to a die-hard hockey fan - not when measured against the enjoyment you would be depriving yourself of. It may make you feel good emotionally, make you feel like you are teaching a lesson to some entity that you blame for the lockout... but again, is that worth the cost of missing out on your favorite sport? I don't care for baseball, football, or basketball. I'm assuming that all of the individuals calling for boycotts are perfectly satisfied substituting hockey for other sports. I am not.

Guest Playmaker
I still cannot wrap my head around this mentality. I am a hockey fan... I find enjoyment in watching it. I have missed a lot of hockey this season... to what end would I deprive myself of even more enjoyment by boycotting the NHL? On the slim chance that it will have long term effects on the minds of the NHL and NHLPA so that perhaps, perhaps, in 8-10 years when the new CBA expires, they will act more quickly?

There is no tangible benefit of cancelling season tickets or boycotting the NHL to a die-hard hockey fan - not when measured against the enjoyment you would be depriving yourself of. It may make you feel good emotionally, make you feel like you are teaching a lesson to some entity that you blame for the lockout... but again, is that worth the cost of missing out on your favorite sport? I don't care for baseball, football, or basketball. I'm assuming that all of the individuals calling for boycotts are perfectly satisfied substituting hockey for other sports. I am not.

To each their own.I cancelled my season tickets after the last lockout, and I have no regrets. I firmly believe that if enough other fans had followed suit, we wouldn't be sitting here today talking about a lockout, we'd be talking about the Winter Classic. The only reason that the owners feel confident in having a lockout is because they believe enough fans feel more like you, than like me. In the last lockout, they were right. Who knows about this one. I may be derpriving myself of something I enjoy, but as a result, I've got 10k plus more per year that's in my pocket, not theirs, to find other things to enjoy. Truthfully, I really don't miss the lousy parking situation, the pathetic facilities and the horrible customer service that is Joe Louis Arena.

If speaking with your dollars didn't matter, we'd still have New Coke. And look what happened when Netflix decided to charge more and change their services.

Guest Johnz96

Edited by Johnz96

Guest RedWingsDad
To each their own.I cancelled my season tickets after the last lockout, and I have no regrets. I firmly believe that if enough other fans had followed suit, we wouldn't be sitting here today talking about a lockout, we'd be talking about the Winter Classic. The only reason that the owners feel confident in having a lockout is because they believe enough fans feel more like you, than like me. In the last lockout, they were right. Who knows about this one. I may be derpriving myself of something I enjoy, but as a result, I've got 10k plus more per year that's in my pocket, not theirs, to find other things to enjoy. Truthfully, I really don't miss the lousy parking situation, the pathetic facilities and the horrible customer service that is Joe Louis Arena.

If speaking with your dollars didn't matter, we'd still have New Coke. And look what happened when Netflix decided to charge more and change their services.

I agree that money speaks... but I do believe that more fans feel like me, or will feel like me after a bit of time, meaning the effects of boycott will be negligible. With Coke (Pepsi) and Netflix (numerous) people had other options, making boycott palatable for them... there are no suitable alternatives for a die hard hockey fan. My main point was that speaking with my money by boycotting the NHL is not worth the sacrifice.

Out of curiosity, are you (and did you) boycott the NHL altogether? The league makes a lot of money on apparel, and T.V. sponsorship as well. Not trying to have a 'gotcha' moment, just wondering.

Edited by RedWingsDad

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ogreslayer" data-cid="2337327" data-time="1357154790"><p>

The comments I've seen on the proposal hint that the extra "round" would be a play in game or shortened play-in series (best of 3) for the bottom two qualifiers. The winner of the play-in then would take on the #1 seed.<br />

<br />

Edit: So in essence, they're taking the new wild card format from Major League Baseball.</p></blockquote>

Its all stupid. The NHL should add Seattle and Portland. Then make 4 divisions of 4 teams in each conference. Take the top team from each division and seed 1 thru 4. Seed the best 4 of the rest 5 thru 8. Begin playoffs.

Pacific West: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Jose

Southwest: Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas

Northwest: Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, Colorado

Midwest: Detroit, Columbus, St. Louis, Chicago

Atlantic East: New Jersey, NY Islanders, Washington, NY Rangers

Northeast: Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Boston

Southeast: Nashville, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida

Canada East: Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Winnepeg

Guest Playmaker
I agree that money speaks... but I do believe that more fans feel like me, or will feel like me after a bit of time, meaning the effects of boycott will be negligible. With Coke (Pepsi) and Netflix (numerous) people had other options, making boycott palatable for them... there are no suitable alternatives for a die hard hockey fan. My main point was that speaking with my money by boycotting the NHL is not worth the sacrifice.

Out of curiosity, are you (and did you) boycott the NHL altogether? The league makes a lot of money on apparel, and T.V. sponsorship as well. Not trying to have a 'gotcha' moment, just wondering.

I still watch the games on TV for the most part. But I don't attend games and don't buy any NHL merchandise. I haven't gone out of my way to boycott any sponsors. I do enjoy other sports, but hockey is definitely my favorite. I see where you're coming from. I do miss going to the games on occasion. The lockout itself was reason enough, but the way the Wings handled things really put the nail in the coffin for me. They took forever to refund the season ticket money and they really didn't go out of their way to do anything for the fans. The schedule and game times also played a part in it. Just too many midweek games against Calgary and Columbus. In the late '90's, I had people begging for the tickets and they'd pay me more than face value. Towards the end, I couldn't give those games away. Living in the far Western suburbs, the 7:38 game times, the length of the games and the parking and traffic mess often meant I didn't get home until well after 11pm. Could get away with that in my younger days, not so much now :). Still really love the Wings, but the business aspect of it has worn on me over the past few years.

Guest irishock

Feeling like anything can happen tonight, from a tentative agreement to wiping out the entire season over PENSION issues

But that's the NHL for you

Edited by irishock

Per the warning post listed in the thread title, I've deleted a few more posts.

Again, please keep the conversation relevant to the CBA negotiations.

Everyone who's participated in the thread to this point has made it abundantly clear how they feel about Bettman, Fehr, etc.

Here's the warning post again so people don't have to hunt back to #70

The owners vs. players debate has played out ad nauseum - please don't start it up again. We all know where everybody stands and no one's mind is going to change. Please discuss the details of the offers only.

Any hockey fan who says they don't care if the season starts is a liar.

After the MLB strike in 1994, it took me more than a few years before I could watch a game again, and I grew up watching baseball with my dad. I love baseball, it's my favorite sport. I'm so pissed off at the NHL for letting this garbage happen again, that whether they come or they go.....I'm over it. They've proven on more than one occasion that they don't give a damn about the fans, so why should the fans give a damn about them? Everyone's greedy, everyone's in it for themselves, no one cares about US. So....screw 'em. They want my revenue dollars, they want my merchandising dollars, they want my time and effort? They damn well better earn it back, just like baseball had to.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

League is waiting for players reaction to their response tonight. Both sides are currently in caucus.

Just came here to post that.

And there's a pretty funny trend going on now called #DregerFace from his expression in a pic Lebrun tweeted. Bored hockey fans are taking it and running with it.

Just came here to post that.

And there's a pretty funny trend going on now called #DregerFace from his expression in a pic Lebrun tweeted. Bored hockey fans are taking it and running with it.

yup and it has come to this lol

http://www.jibjab.com/view/xcCmaKEmW8ofpaYF3eC0

and here comes the inevitable blow up

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Hearing both sides disappointed with lack of true movement in each other's new positions today... Key is to keep talking though..

even if the union files a disclaimer of interest, i don't think it automatically means the season is over.

both sides know that they still have 8 days or so to work with to try to squeeze a little bit more out of each other

Guest irishock

Doug Maclean of Rogers Sportsnet rips both sides for taking this long to argue over pensions when you already have 50/50, CBA duration settled.

Nick Kypreos expects a domino effect after pension issue is solved and deal would be close

- says there's 3 or 4 issues left, pensions one of them.

I remember the last time the NBA solved the lockout it took them until 3 AM ET, and during that day there were a few stumbling blocks as well.

The NHLPA and NHL have passed the three hour mark. Disclaimer deadline looming even larger. Now, this is a Broadway spectacle.

Edited by irishock