• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jedi

NHL submits offer to NHLPA - **Suspension Warning Post #70 & #273*

Rate this topic

Guest irishock

Meetings still not starting? Does the league want the players to dissolve the union and lose the entire season on purpose?

NVM

Update: meeting now expected to start at 9 pm ET. League needed extra time to complete its response to NHLPA counter.

They're probably searching up the dictionary to find some better metaphors

Guest irishock

Hearing NHL new counter offer it has worked on last 24 hrs is comprehensive; hence the delay this evening putting finishing touches on it

We're 27 hours away from the NHLPA's deadline to file a disclaimer of interest...

Edited by irishock

Although it hasn't been brought up in negotiations both #NHL#NHLPA have had internal discussions on 4 more teams qualifying for playoffs

doubt it goes through.

That would be terrible, some please explain a scenario in which an extra 4 teams in the playoffs even works out. 2 extra teams in each conference works out to 10 teams, so eliminate half after first round, that's 5 teams left, what do you do with the extra team? 4 extra teams per conference is 12 teams which means it will go down to 6 teams then 3, again what do you do with the extra team?

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2337268" data-time="1357104028"><p>

That would be terrible, some please explain a scenario in which an extra 4 teams in the playoffs even works out. 2 extra teams in each conference works out to 10 teams, so eliminate half after first round, that's 5 teams left, what do you do with the extra team? 4 extra teams per conference is 12 teams which means it will go down to 6 teams then 3, again what do you do with the extra team?</p></blockquote>

Byes for the top 6 seeds in each conference. 3 game series to start between the other 4 teams for the last 2 spots. Then play on as usual.

Guest irishock

I'd have it at 6 teams making the playoffs from each side honestly. NFL style.

Guest Johnz96
Kypreos says NHLPA wants 7 year max. contract, NHL stuck at 6.

They should meet in the middle and go 6 and a half

Guest irishock

Disclaimer of interest expires at midnight... I don't see the season being saved if the players do it. It worked in the NBA and NFL but the NHL is a new breed.

A disclaimer of interest will only be filed if the NHLPA believes that progress isn't being made. With progress being made recently, they won't file now. Now if the discussion goes off the rails, then expect that to happen. If the NHLPA does file for disclaimer of interest, then the season will probably be lost as this will be tossed into the courts.

Guest RedWingsDad

I am confused by the apparent lack of discussion on fixing the conferences / divisions. I liked the 4 conference system proposed by the NHL... I wonder if they are not opening that can of worms for fear of further complication? I am hoping it get's addressed soon... would love to see Detroit west less.

Edited by RedWingsDad

More teams in the playoffs? Over half the league already makes it in. I'd rather reduce the teams in the playoffs. Otherwise, what's the point of the regular season?

Agreed.

I understand the owners wanting more teams in the playoffs because it would make them more money, but it'd be almost as bad as the 80s when all but 5 teams made the playoffs.

Guest Johnz96
Please not more teams in the playoffs. They have already watered down the best event in sports with forced parity.

Players are bigger, faster, stronger and better than they ever were. There is a much bigger talent pool to select from now than there ever was and the science of nutrition and training has advanced so much.The weakest teams today would easily beat the best teams from 2 decades ago.

But despite the fact that the teams are much more talented now, I would have to agree with your statement.

For the sake of parity to give weaker teams a better chance of winning, Bettman has restricted talent and skill with changes he has implemented to the sport of hockey.

What's this, what's this...two added rounds of playoffs? Uncle Gary has had dreams in his onesie about this for a long, long time. Right after three lockouts and team failures in the wrong markets, he would love to be remembered for this. Payment for 30-0 is simple: more revenue for the League and none for the players.

Next up: twenty-game schedule, thirty teams in the playoffs (pending further expansion).

What's this, what's this...two added rounds of playoffs? Uncle Gary has had dreams in his onesie about this for a long, long time. Right after three lockouts and team failures in the wrong markets, he would love to be remembered for this. Payment for 30-0 is simple: more revenue for the League and none for the players.

Next up: twenty-game schedule, thirty teams in the playoffs (pending further expansion).

The comments I've seen on the proposal hint that the extra "round" would be a play in game or shortened play-in series (best of 3) for the bottom two qualifiers. The winner of the play-in then would take on the #1 seed.

Edit: So in essence, they're taking the new wild card format from Major League Baseball.

Edited by ogreslayer